Will a on-line Dog Grooming course be enough to certify myself as a professional Groomer when completed?

I'm afraid that a on-line dog grooming course will be a waste of my time and money.

Will a on-line Dog Grooming course be enough to certify myself as a professional Groomer when completed?

I'm afraid that a on-line dog grooming course will be a waste of my time and money....
    General Dog Discussions : Will a on-line Dog Grooming course be enough to certify myself as a professional Groomer when completed?...

• Will a on-line Dog Grooming course be enough to certify myself as a professional Groomer when completed?

Will a on-line Dog Grooming course be enough to certify myself as a professional Groomer when completed? General Dog Discussions
      I'm afraid that a on-line dog grooming course will be a waste of my time and money.

Will a on-line Dog Grooming course be enough to certify myself as a professional Groomer when completed? General Dog Discussions
    • I'm afraid you're right. How can you learn if you don't actually *do* the grooming? Your best bet is to contact the groomers in your area, ask them where they received their certifications, and if they would consider taking you on as an apprentice, to get some experience.Good luck!

• while it will be nice to have the certification i think time spent learning from an experienced groomer would be much more valuable. i dont know that i would go so far as to say it would be a waste of time and money but if i were looking for a groomer, i would rather one that has actually had some hands on experience and not just an on line course in how to groom a dog. because learning over the internet and actually doing it are two very different things. good luck and hope this helps

• On line will give you the basic of how to do it, however, you really have to do "hands on" to truly understand and get proficient at grooming. Personally, I would feel that an on line is a waste of time and money.

• I totally agree this is a course that needs hands on experience and with many breeds not just one. I highly recommend hte New york school of Dog Grooming in Manhattan,NY. They are world known when I went I stayed in the dorm and my roommate was from Singapore.

• hi no you only learn by doin it you could no everything in the world about grooming but not beable to do any of it, so no u need to be hands on and practcing, i did dog grooming over half a year at a groomers and through a college and i no its harder than learning and reading about it you won get the skills of groomming by reading papers, get practical work hands on

• You need hands on experience. An online course is not a good option. I'd hate to see you waste your money. They do have grooming schools that you attend in person, and also you can start by working with a groomer. Find a mentor and learn what all is involved with grooming. It's not for everyone. I have a few friends that groom. I have a groomer that comes to my house, we talk as she is grooming the dogs. It can be a very stressful job. Dealing with dog owners can be a real pain.