8 week old puppy with hives?

I have an 8 week old boxer pup and yesterday I noticed her eyes were swollen and pink. a few hours later she developed hives on her back. I called my vet who told me to give her a bath with hypoallergenic shampoo and give her benedryl. The hives went…

I have an 8 week old boxer pup and yesterday I noticed her eyes were swollen and pink. a few hours later she developed hives on her back. I called my vet who told me to give her a bath with hypoallergenic shampoo and give her benedryl. The hives went…...
    General Dog Discussions : 8 week old puppy with hives?...

• 8 week old puppy with hives?

8 week old puppy with hives? General Dog Discussions
      I have an 8 week old boxer pup and yesterday I noticed her eyes were swollen and pink. a few hours later she developed hives on her back. I called my vet who told me to give her a bath with hypoallergenic shampoo and give her benedryl. The hives went away after her bath, but came back shortly after and lasted until this morning, when she woke up almost 100% back to normal.She's been on canidae for over a week now, with no trouble. I did start training her with treats the night before the reaction. so that would be the only new 'food'.So would the hives and swollen eyes be a food allergy? or something else?Thanks for the answers so far. I was just cleaning up and remembered that I washed the floor yesterday. So I washed it again today to see if maybe that could be the cause. Nothing so far, but it's only been 10 minutes. If it's not the floor cleaner I'll try 1 treat tomorrow to see if she reacts again.

8 week old puppy with hives? General Dog Discussions
    • It could be any number of things. Food allergies are common the only way to know for sure is to observe what works and what doesn't. Unfortunately that is the only way to know. I am going through the same thing with my dog right now...he has terrible allergies and I am changing his dog food hoping he will get better. Watch, observe, and modify....that is all that you can do.Good Luck

• It sounds like an allergy to SOMETHING, and allergies are quite common in Boxers. I had one for 14 years and belonged to various Boxer discussion forums. The issue of hives and allergies came up QUITE often and about half the people had dogs who got hives, at least occasionally. Even my Boxer got them once, when she was 7 years old. In fact, here's a FAQ from the Boxer Mailing List about hives....the info was shared by one of the members who is a veterinarian:http://iupucbio2.iupui.edu/bml/hivesfaqs.html

• it sounds like the new treats caused a reation giving her the hives and swollen eyes. read the ingredents and make sure whatever u buy doensnt have the same things in them. the canidae might be causing the problem but im sure it would of come out sooner.keep the benadryal handy and if u see the eyes start swelling or hives pop out give her a dose right away since her throat might swell up causing her not to be able to breathe.u can try a small piece of the treat and watch for a reaction then u will know it is this that caused it but be carefull.if she has no problem with her regular food omit the treats and give her a small piece of meat or cheese instead. she might be allergic to many things so moniter what she eats and mark dowm the ingredents that causes a flareup so u will know what to avoid and keep the meds handy. get some benadryal cream to rub on hives along with the pills to soothe her skin and watch her airways. i hope u find out what she is sensetive too so u wont have a really sick poochi. good luck

• My boxer had this from dettol disinfectant! I also find that he has allergies if I change washing powders or add a different fabric conditioner to my wash. Boxers do tend to have allergies so be careful with household air fresheners etc. I had to give my dog benadryl and it did not work so I luckily had some prednisolone handy (it was the middle of the night) and I spoke to the vet over the phone who said administer the steroids. I would say be careful and watch him. It is quite common for hives to pop up again the day after, it is the histamine in the body kicking off again. I love boxers, my pup is 8 weeks old now and my boy is 11 months. great dogs

• hi, i would suspect the treats either a colour or preservative in them, go read www.NaturalNews.com as to ingredients in dog food.plain baked uncoloured dog biscuits are the best treats, maybe a small amount of dried liver?you could also suspect a reaction like this from grasses, bee stings and immunisations too.antihistamine pills(ie human hayfever ones..) be very careful with dosges! are for really bad events, benadryl has a form of that in it. i find a very dilute solution of tea tree oil in water as a wash/ or spray, also provides relief for my dogs i have one with grass allergies. and bee reactions.