5 month old boxer puppy ..can i give him childrens benadryl ?

Hello, I have a 5 almost 6 month old boxer puppy who weighs approximately 35-40lbs now..last night when i got home from work i noticed that he had 5 lumps on the top of his back, He woke me up around 2:30 am this morning and he is completely covered head…

Hello, I have a 5 almost 6 month old boxer puppy who weighs approximately 35-40lbs now..last night when i got home from work i noticed that he had 5 lumps on the top of his back, He woke me up around 2:30 am this morning and he is completely covered head…...
    General Dog Discussions : 5 month old boxer puppy ..can i give him childrens benadryl ?...

• 5 month old boxer puppy ..can i give him childrens benadryl ?

5 month old boxer puppy ..can i give him childrens benadryl ? General Dog Discussions
      Hello, I have a 5 almost 6 month old boxer puppy who weighs approximately 35-40lbs now..last night when i got home from work i noticed that he had 5 lumps on the top of his back, He woke me up around 2:30 am this morning and he is completely covered head to toe..I called my vet and they told me that it is most likely hives from an allergic reaction to something. They told me they couldn't do anything for him and that i should just buy childrens benadryl and give him 25mg every 4-6 hours. I have had problems with my vet before so i have trouble trusting him..Do you think i should be able to give him the benadryl ? Any advice would help..Thanks!

5 month old boxer puppy ..can i give him childrens benadryl ? General Dog Discussions
    • You can give him 1 benedryl 25mg every 4-6 hours. You can give a dose of 1mg per pound of dog every 8 hours, so if you give him a higher dose, like 1 and 1/2 pills, do so only every 8 hours.I did it for my pitbull puppy when he got his shots and had a reaction.

• I would say call another vet for a second opinion, I would not give a medication in a way that it is not meant for, to human or animal. A veterinarian would know better of course, and I am sure there is something they can do.

• Yes, you can give your dog benadryl on the advice of your vet and in the proper dosage. Make sure it's plain benadryl and not the sort that also contains a decongestant. If you don't have any trust in your vet, why don't you switch to another? Even in rural areas, there should be another choice within reasonable driving distance.

• i'm not sure but i would verify that diagnostic with another vet, especially since you have trouble trusting this one. It sounds like an allergic reaction, my dog had this to chicken and it was very serious with her. I've never tried the benadryl so I cannot say i believe that works... its made for humans not dogs and therefore please just double check with another vet. good luck

• You can give him one childrens benedryl or one tablet of adult benedryl. do not give more then 25mg. The same thing happened to my dog. What I discovered was that many dogs are allergic to red dye #40( i googled it) and that many dog foods have that in it. Read the labels on the dog food. I found that Pedigree and a couple others offer a food without it. Once I switched him to food that had nothing red in it he never got hives again. I hope this helps.P.S. Yes you should find a vet you can trust or at least feel comfortable with

• If you've had problems with your vet before, then I would seriously try another vet. This is the very reason I switched vets. Neither my current vet nor the staff have ever told me that they couldn't do anything for my pets over the phone. It does sound a bit like an allergic reaction. But skin problems are not that simple. There are a lot of other things it could be. Some skin problems have an incubation period and do seemingly pop up suddenly. I would google the vets in your area and read reviews. Then give some a call and tell them what you posted here. See what they say and see if you can get a feel for who might be right for you. One Benadryl is generally okay, but it is alway better to consult a vet before administering any OTC meds.

• you called your vet with an emergency and they didn't even tell you to come in? they have to examine the dog before they can determine they 'can't do anything'. find another vet and bring him IN to be looked at. ask your other friends with dogs what vet they use, that's what I did.