Can you be sued if your dog scratches your own child by the other parent?

My fiances daughter was here Thursday and our puppy is a very happy and excited puppy and greets everyone by jumping on them (he is a boxer mixed) we have been working with him alot but on this particular day my fiances daughter came over and the dog was…

Can you be sued if your dog scratches your own child by the other parent?

My fiances daughter was here Thursday and our puppy is a very happy and excited puppy and greets everyone by jumping on them (he is a boxer mixed) we have been working with him alot but on this particular day my fiances daughter came over and the dog was…...
    General Dog Discussions : Can you be sued if your dog scratches your own child by the other parent?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• just give her a copy of the vet records. SCRATCHING is totally harmless. Rabies can't spread that way if that is what she is worried about. The whole purpose of suing someone is to put you back into the position you were before. If she did not spend any money at the hospital and just let it go she will have a hard time getting any money from suing you because no damage was done. Don't worry about it. If this stupid woman really does sue you it will cost her a lot more time and money than what it is worth.

• What would she be suing you for? Doesn't sound like there were any damages. You can't sue without a cause of action. You have to prove negligence and damages. Doesn't sound like either happened in this case. The two were playing and the girl got scratched. If the girl got rabies because the dog didn't get it's shots she might have a case.

• Valley R is sick.these kinds of things are accidents, scratching someone with a claw does not mean the dog is dangerous. if the dog lunges or snaps a people THAT is dangerous. put some Neosporin on the scratch and invest in some puppy training. (try "Bark Busters" they are very good) also, find a nice groomer to get the dogs nails trimmed and filed so they are not so sharp.if someone tries to sue, it's frivolous, and i'm sorry if someone could be that ignorant.here is a link for Bark Busters:http://www.barkbusters.com/

• she can'tt sue you for having your dog give her daughter scratches, that's just straight up retarded and stupid.plus if the dog was tamed and was playing with her then it's just an accident and your dog have long nails which should be trimmed every 3weeks, and dulled.if your fiance sue you, she would look stupid for saying oh his dog gave my daughter scratches =/ and if she try to say your dog "attacked" her daughter, there's really no proof, they can do tests to see if your dog meant to hurt her or is agressive.so don't really worry about it

• Just give her a copy of the pups records. It has had all of it's shots' etc. hasn't it? If she sees that the pup is young and safe, she should settle down. The only way she could sue (I would think) is if the child had to go to the hospital.You do need to work on teaching your pup not to jump on people though. This could have hit the child in the eye and blinded her. Don't be upset at the mother. She is just concerned about the child. At least, I hope that is her problem. When I had my Pyrenees, I got right down on the floor, Eye to eye, with the dog. This way he never had to jump up on me. The boxer is a great dog too but, they do have a bit of a different way of people looking at them. Get him trained as soon as you can This is a priority.I don't think she can do anything. It is a pup after all and the child was in your house. It's not like the pup got loose and went to her house and did this.

• The folks that have said that you can't be sued for this haven't got a clue about our so called justice system. The reality is that you can be sued by anybody, for anything at anytime. All it takes is a money grubbing lawyer and a trip to the courthouse to file the paperwork. This does not mean you will lose but you CAN be sued. I would recommend that you don't respond in any way until this witch starts proceedings and then turn it over to your lawyer and insurance company. And DON'T allow your insurance company to settle the case ..... that is what her lawyer is counting on because even he knows that he doesn't have a case but that the insurance co. would rather settle than go to court because it is cheaper. You could also threaten to sue her for harassment. That is clearly what it is. Good luck.PS: although the doctor may care about whether the dog was up to date on it's shots (unlikely since it was just a scratch), the school would not care at all. All it is is harassment by a vindictive *itch..

• Unfortunately in this world today we have taught everyone that if you don't like something, you should sue someone. I'm not sure where you live but legal laws everywhere are different, and when it comes to pets, their impossible, this dog definitely doesn't sound aggressive, but it sounds like the mom isn't playing around with this lawsuit threat either. I would talk to a lawyer just to see how to approach this, But I would not be afraid to show your dogs records, if she wants them that bad, all she has to do is report this situation to the authorities and they will retrieve the records from your vet anyway. It only proves that your dog is up to date on its vaccines. Do your homework and Good Luck!

• As always, it is best to consult your lawyer with any questions. That being said I am a law student and this is the type of scenario we get all the time in class and on exams. The short answer is yes, she can bring a lawsuit. She would be alleging a tort occurred and that her child was injured as a result of your negligent control of the animal. She would be seeking to recover actual damages that resulted from the injury, which sound negligible, and any punitive damages (pain and suffering) resulting from the incident. In many states (if not all) dog-caused injuries trigger absolute liability for their owner, meaning that if your dog causes an injury the surrounding facts are pretty insignificant to the court's analysis. Therefore, the fact that your dog is a puppy and you have been rigorously working with it to prevent it from jumping does not matter; you are still liable for any damages the animal causes. That being said, I feel there is very little for you to worry about given the extremely limited extent of the injuries as you described them. The legal fees to bring the case would most likely eclipse any potential award or settlement recovery.Where the concern needs to be is on any divorce proceedings. Although the mother is unlikely to recover any damages from a tort suit, she can use the incident as evidence that your fiance is unfit to watch the child. She can show the child's injury as proof that your fiance cannot provide a safe atmosphere for her child and can ask for custody as a result. Again, though, given the circumstance as you describe it, it is not overwhelmingly evident that the child's welfare or safety was in jeopardy.

• She wants to sue over a scratch? How stupid is that? Vet records aren't going to do squat for a scratch. I can understand a bite, but not a scratch. She has nothing that can hold up in court. The dog's still a pup, so of course it's going to be hyper, and he was playing. Plus, you've been working with him, so he's not a little hooligan. It's not like he was aggressive towards anyone, much less your fiance's child. I'm willing to bet that any lawyer the child's mother went to with this would laugh her out of their office. She has absolutely nothing to stand on in court. And no, she can't take away your dog.