Is it ok for my puppy to eat my kitten's food?

My 8 week old puppy goes straight for my kitten's food. He prefers it, is it going to do any harm?

My 8 week old puppy goes straight for my kitten's food. He prefers it, is it going to do any harm?...
    General Dog Discussions : Is it ok for my puppy to eat my kitten's food?...

• Is it ok for my puppy to eat my kitten's food?

Is it ok for my puppy to eat my kitten's food? General Dog Discussions
      My 8 week old puppy goes straight for my kitten's food. He prefers it, is it going to do any harm?

Is it ok for my puppy to eat my kitten's food? General Dog Discussions
    • it can give him diarrhea, and make him sick..but all dogs do that for some reason, try to keep the cat food away, it's for your poor cat. Stick with dog food for the little guy.

• I can't give you a professional answer, but from experience I've known lots of puppies that prefer cat food, especially small dogs. I've never heard of it being bad for them. As a matter of fact, my mom's chihuahua won't eat anything but cat food and she is almost 10 years old!!!

• As you know cats and dogs are different. Therefore they have different nutritional needs. Kitten food is too rich for a puppy and may give him diarhhea or he may vomit. You may have to feed each animal seperately and not let food sit around for them to eat when they want. They should have a set time for eating and take up the bowls when they are done. Feed them at the same time every day so their stomachs get trained to this. Feed them together so puppy gets the idea that his food is his and vice versa. Good luck!

• The cat food is too rich for a puppy. Get it out of his reach. The pup can have loose stool and develop into a seriously picky eater.Love your puppy and good luck.

• Cat food is far to high in proteen for dogs. Other than that it is very much the same as dog food. So YES it is not good for dogs, and NO it will not hurt your dog

• No, if it was ok then it would be call cat & dog food. It's just cat food for a reason. A young puppy should be eating puppy food. Start out with the soft food in the can. Keep your cat's food in a different room so the puppy can't get to it. If you need more information regarding this, call your local vet.

• it won't harm your puppy but kitten and cat food is far richer than dog food and you will probably then have a problem getting your dog to eat dog food later. best of luck.

• The cat food will not harm him but feeding him only cat food on a regular basis will not be good for his long term health and growth.Cats and dogs have different dietary needs, especially when they aare young.You really do not want him to get used to cat food as he needs a good puppy chow at this stage. Your vet can tell you which ones are best. A general rule is the cheaper the food the more "fillers" are used and are less nutritional.Good puppy care now, IE: diet, vet check, and TLC give your pup the best start to a long life.Have fun with him :)

• Yes it can do harm.......Feed him his own type of food preferably dry! It will be healthier for him in the long run!Teaching him to stay away from the cats food will be a different matter all together. Possibly put the cat food up higher so he can't reach.