4 Month old puppy pees when I put her leash on?

I have a four month old Weimaraner that is having severe issue with urinating in the house. At first the vet thought it might be a UTI and put her on antibiotics for 5 days with no results. Now I follow a strict routine of letting her out for 5-10…

I have a four month old Weimaraner that is having severe issue with urinating in the house. At first the vet thought it might be a UTI and put her on antibiotics for 5 days with no results. Now I follow a strict routine of letting her out for 5-10…...
    General Dog Discussions : 4 Month old puppy pees when I put her leash on?...

• 4 Month old puppy pees when I put her leash on?

4 Month old puppy pees when I put her leash on? General Dog Discussions
      I have a four month old Weimaraner that is having severe issue with urinating in the house. At first the vet thought it might be a UTI and put her on antibiotics for 5 days with no results. Now I follow a strict routine of letting her out for 5-10 minutes every hour on the hour when I am at home. That has solved some of the issues, but now it has taken a different turn over the last week. Now she pees when I go to put the leash on her. She will usually completely empty her bladder in the 5-10 seconds it takes for me to put the leash on her. I live in an apartment and have spent the entire Labor Day weekend cleaning up pee stains from the carpet. Help!

4 Month old puppy pees when I put her leash on? General Dog Discussions
    • Believe it or not you are not the first person to have this problem. What you need to do is pick her up and carry her outside with the leash in your pocket, out of site. Then set her down and put the leash on her. If it's a fear issue make sure to comfort her to let her know the leash won't hurt her. Lots of pups are scared of things they don't understand. Then she will empty her bladder. Let her back in the house with the leash still on, your choice if you're holding it or not, just let her get used to it being there, and she will eventually learn to trust it. Leave it on till she forgets its there.

• It could be excitement about the leash because the puppy knows she's going out. The best solution might be getting her used to puppy pads. As soon as you're going to get the leash, put her on the puppy pad and then you can put the leash on while she's on the pad.We have an almost nine year old that someone has been harassing while we're out (she has access to the outside via a doggie door while we're out). I bought her grown-up dog pads for when she's afraid to go outside and she has learned to use them.

• This sounds like one of two issues. It could be that your dog is urinating when it is frightened by the leash or going outside, or something connected to that. Or it could be that your dog is excited. Does it happen at any other time? Has something happened to upset the dog while on the leash or outside? These are tricky to fix if either is the case. If it is a scared issue, you will need to get the dog used to the leash, making it a positive experience. If it is an excited issue you need to make sure the dog is calm before introducing the leash.I used to raise leader dog for the blind puppies so I have a great deal of experinece with young dogs. I have found that they sometimes have to urinate within minutes of drinking water, so you might want to consider this too. We used to take the water away before bed to prevent accidents.

• Sounds like submissive urination. I had a Shih Tzu who did it all his life.What helped me (and him) was I didn't look at him when I went to lift him up or put his leash on or anything.So try that. Don't talk to her when you're about to put the leash on. Avoid eye contact and don't talk to her, just put it on.Submissive urination can stem from nervousness, excitement, fear, alot of things. Sounds like it's a combination of nervousness and excitement in your puppy.

• Put a doggy diaper on her while she is in the house.I believe they sell them at Pets Mart and Wal-Mart.This will help till you solve the issue of why she is peeing so easily. If you didn't get the answers from the vet you go to now try another vet.

• try crate training her)they wont wet in their own bed) There are a lot of good sites on line (type in crate training for dogs) I put mine in by my bed and my dog whould whine when he had to go. We did it during the day too. After awhile we just left the door open to the crate and he would go to the door to go out. (remeber to , itt is important they go in about the same spot everydasy, so they associate it with potty training. Just not anywhere.Sounds like she is excited to go out. Try holding the leash for awhile to she settles down and then connect her. Also, if that doesnt work, use the traing pads under her for protection for your carpet.

• Man, I am so jealous of your idea of partying!!!That has to be the most unique way to spend a holiday weekend. You truly are a party machine.Be careful tho'.....most insurance carriers do not cover carpel Tunnel from the excessive activity of pee cleaning!BTW...you dog is petrified of some aspect of the process of "the walk!" Have you lost patience with the dog at times and yelled at it? Maybe you were too rough during this process and the dog associates "bad" with the leash!Retrain the dog with positive reinforcement, over time he will be fine.

• I'd carry her outside and put the leash on her out there!Remember to praise her to the hilt when she does good! you have to say with a firm tone--bad boy--or something in the neg..constantly! Just like with kids you have to be consistent in the reactions!Rate your going she'll have you trained in no time! Just like our dogs have trained all of us! LOL!