Is it okay for a dog to eat grass?

My husband and I just got a shih tzu puppy and whenever we take him outside in our backyard to do his job he loves to lay and roll in the grass and sometimes eat the grass. I heard somewhere that if a dog eats grass it means they have an upset stomach or…

My husband and I just got a shih tzu puppy and whenever we take him outside in our backyard to do his job he loves to lay and roll in the grass and sometimes eat the grass. I heard somewhere that if a dog eats grass it means they have an upset stomach or…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is it okay for a dog to eat grass?...

• Is it okay for a dog to eat grass?

Is it okay for a dog to eat grass? General Dog Discussions
      My husband and I just got a shih tzu puppy and whenever we take him outside in our backyard to do his job he loves to lay and roll in the grass and sometimes eat the grass. I heard somewhere that if a dog eats grass it means they have an upset stomach or its going to rain. Is that true? Is it okay for a dog/puppy to eat grass? Will it hurt the dog?

Is it okay for a dog to eat grass? General Dog Discussions
    • My dog eats grass all the time. He is a grazer. I would make sure that the grass is not chemically treated, but other than that I wouldn't worry about it if the dog doesn't get sick on it.

• Dogs actually should have some greens in their diet. However, eating grass can be a sign of worms or upper respiratory or digestive problems. My pit just liked grass. She didn't have worms but the vet said because bulldogs have a short muzzle sometimes they get flem in their throats/back of their nose and the grass kinda scrapes it into their stomach as they swallow.

• It wont hurt them as long as you don't have any "chemicals" on your grass.like fertilizer etc..most dogs eat it when their stomach hurts to make themselves get sick. There are some dogs that just eat it lol especially puppy's.I have a pit and a husky. The husky will eat it when her tummy hurts and my pit eats it because... I guess she likes it lol.

• Yes, it's totally normal my dog does it a lot. It won't hurt it, it just might puke it up later. Sometimes though if it won't stop it might have an upset stomach so be aware of that.

• Good luck with that one!!! i think this is a question has been asked since the beginning of time...ha ha ha...all the dogs i've ever had have done this.. they'll just poop it out. my dogs also think that the beauty bark in the yard is for their snacking too!!! GOOD ROUGHAGE!!

• its natural for a dog to eat grass. and yes its true that sometimes dogs eat grass because they have an upset stomach but alot of dogs also eat grass just because they like it. my dog does the same thing and shes never been sick she just likes it.

• Dogs eat grass. Why? I don't think anyone really knows exactly why, but I doubt it has much to do with rain.Yes, they eat it to settle their stomachs, but this isn't ALWAYS the case. If you are feeding her a basic brand of dog food, you might want to switch to something a little healthier. She might not be getting the nurtrition she needs, or it just doesn't settle quite right in her tummy.I have had dogs munch grass all my life, and it has never had ill effects. Main things you want to worry about are CONSTANT eating of grass, or if you have treated the lawn with any sort of chemical or fertilizer.