6 week old golden retriever heart issues?

My family purchased a six week old golden retriever Thursday. We took it to the vet for its puppy check up and the vet had said her heart “skipped a beat”. They did an EKG and it showed the same thing. Our puppy only weighs 2 pounds 7 ounces…

My family purchased a six week old golden retriever Thursday. We took it to the vet for its puppy check up and the vet had said her heart “skipped a beat”. They did an EKG and it showed the same thing. Our puppy only weighs 2 pounds 7 ounces…...
    General Dog Discussions : 6 week old golden retriever heart issues?...

• 6 week old golden retriever heart issues?

6 week old golden retriever heart issues? General Dog Discussions
      My family purchased a six week old golden retriever Thursday. We took it to the vet for its puppy check up and the vet had said her heart “skipped a beat”. They did an EKG and it showed the same thing. Our puppy only weighs 2 pounds 7 ounces and the vet said her body was depressed (come to find out this breeder is an idiot!) she gave us food and some other stuff to give her to make her gain some weight and then to bring her back into the vet today to check her heart again, (she thought maybe because the puppy didn’t weigh much and maybe stressed- the heart issue could be from that)This morning we took her back so they could listen to her heart again... nothing had changed, although our puppy is much more playful since she’s been eating.They gave our puppy some kind of shot that shocked the heart, hoping it would go to a regular beat, they kept her for an hour and the heart was beating normally! We still are taking her to a cardiologist, the vet said the dog is likely to have a 2 degree heart block… my family is devastated, but my question is, do you think that since that shot gave her a normal heart beat, it could continue to stay that way?We are going to get our money back but dont want to give the puppy back, because we are scared of what they may do with her... we are reporting her but want to save our puppy, we adore her already.

6 week old golden retriever heart issues? General Dog Discussions
    • I'm sure you'll find my answer offensive, and I apologize for that in advance. At 6 weeks old, you've had the dog for 3 days, I would recommend returning the dog to the breeder for a refund, and finding a breeder of quality Golden Retrievers or even contacting a rescue. Right now, it seems like the right thing to do to keep this dog, but I would worry more about the long-term heartache of raising an unhealthy dog. The breeder is obviously an idiot, sending you home with a 6-week old puppy in the first place. Did the breeder provide you with evidence of health testing of the parents? Heart problems, joint problems, hypothyroidism, and many other illnesses are common to the Golden Retriever breed, and the best chance of getting a healthy dog is to purchase from a responsible breeder who only breeds dogs who have been extensively tested for health before breeding. I know you're already attached, and I understand it, but you could be in for much more worry and pain, as well as huge bills, by keeping an unsound dog. If I were in your shoes, I'd take the dog right back to the breeder, along with a statement from your vet as to the overall health and condition of the dog. A 2.5 pound, 6 week old Golden Retriever? The breeder IS an idiot, and should have vetted this dog himself/herself-instead they dumped their problem on you, and actually made you PAY for it. I think you were scammed.As far as her current condition, what did the vet tell you to expect? What kind of problems did he predict? He's probably going to be your best source of information for an outlook.

• Where on earth did you find this breeder??? And why or why did you purchase a golden pup that was so little and malnourished and sickly looking??No golden pup should weight 2.7 pounds at 6 weeks old! My pups weight that at 3 weeks old! No I don't think the heart will keep a normal rhythm at all. The pup at some point will go back into afib and possibly die! This is why she was so small and this is why any good breeder would not have sold this pup to anyone! This pup is going to be a sick pup it's whole life as long as that will be and once you have the cardiologist evaluate this pup it may be his/her recommendation to just put her down. I am so very sorry you were lied to by this breeder and have to now have the heart ache of not knowing what is right for this pup. I cant even imagine what her reason was as to why this pup was so small. Normal weight for a 6 week old Golden pup should be between 5 to 6 pounds, sometimes even bigger.Again I'm so sorry!

• If there is a heart block, it is an electrical issue. That is congenital. The heart will go back into an abnormal rhythm at some point. The dog will eventually die from heart failure or an arrhythmia. There is a good chance ablation could be done, but that sometimes requires a pacemaker after it is done. And this is a dog, so that might not be a feasible choice. Because of the extremely small size, you can see your dog is already suffering form some heart failure.She should be returned to the breeder. This is a chaotic defect, although congenital. Her other puppies are probably fine if she will exchange this one. When all is said and done, euthanasia might be the best choice for this dog. Heart blocks are not curable on dogs. Sometimes they can be controlled with meds.