Why do people shave their dogs during the summer?

Sure, it might cool them down a little bit...but isn't it obvious that they need their coat to protect them from the sun, too?I would never shave my dog. In my opinion, it's unnecessary.Aussies- Who are you to always yell at me? What did I do?

Sure, it might cool them down a little bit...but isn't it obvious that they need their coat to protect them from the sun, too?I would never shave my dog. In my opinion, it's unnecessary.Aussies- Who are you to always yell at me? What did I do?...
    General Dog Discussions : Why do people shave their dogs during the summer?...

• Why do people shave their dogs during the summer?

Why do people shave their dogs during the summer? General Dog Discussions
      Sure, it might cool them down a little bit...but isn't it obvious that they need their coat to protect them from the sun, too?I would never shave my dog. In my opinion, it's unnecessary.Aussies- Who are you to always yell at me? What did I do?

Why do people shave their dogs during the summer? General Dog Discussions
    • They still have enough to protect their skin. Since dogs cant sweat it my cool them down a great deal. This makes even more sense when you factor in that dogs with heavy coats may be living in hot climates they weren't bread for.

• Professional groomers wont take the hair down to the skin that's usually the only time the sun can bother them. I have a poodle that has to have her hair shaved otherwise she might get heat stroke(we are in the desert).

• Well, I have an airedale, so he gets his coat clipped pretty short when it's warm. He has a lot of fur, he gets too hot and pants a lot when he's not clipped - I think that's a bigger worry than sun, which can be easily limited. If you're talking about completely shaving them, that's a bit strange... But just having their fur really short isn't going to hurt them.

• i just shaved my dog- now he's more clean, easier to bathe - if he gets muddy or dirty its so much easier to just rinse him off. He also seems much more content inside; with his long coat he owuld always pant and just lay around as though he was to warm - i thought abut it and if i wore my winter coat inside or outside in the summer i would roast, too....now that he's shaved he rolls around , is more playful and happy , and overall energetic inside. He's happier outside, too, since the weather is warming up he likes to go out there and play sometimes.but hey, if it's your dog, dont shave him unless you want to. =)

• I have a sheltie with a complete coat (and we live in TX); I have been asked by my vet why I won't have him shaved.I brush my dog's coat every other day (and it's not a quick swipe; his coat is pretty thick). Yet I've seen other shelties here with a lion's cut and they look miserable. I love the look of the sheltie, and the big coat is a major part of this breed.The coat helps keep the dog cool, protects it from mosquitos (hard to get through all that fur, and prevents sunburn, but my own perhaps unpopular opinion is that when the dog blows his winter coat, it causes a lot of work for the owner to brush out to prevent mats, so they have the dog shaved to make it easier on the owner. Now, TRIMMING the coat if it is too long is a different story, or if you have a dog with a super-thick coat (think Chow), then a puppy clip would be a nice thing.

• They're too lazy to:1) Groom the dog and get the shedding undercoat out2) Vacumn daily until they get #1 doneor -They're too stupid to:1) Realize that a double coat acts as insulation from HEAT as well as from cold2) Realize that shaving the dog will result in a softer coat that RARELY recovers - leading to increased dirt, matting and coat breakage

• Because although they are well-meaning and think they are cooling them off, they don't do their research. Short and medium-coated breeds actually use their coats to insulate themselves from the heat as well as the cold. By shaving a dog with that type of coat, they are actually making them hotter in addition to risking sunburn!

• I don't understand it either. I can't believe people will shave poms, huskies, etc. The coat--especially on the Spitz breed dogs--actually cools them down. I think people just don't understand and think it will make the dog feel more comfortable.Of course I may not be one to talk. I bought my dogs their own personal air conditioner so they will be comfortable.

• I used to shave a few of mine because they would shed so badly.I would just use a 10 blade so there was still plenty of hair to protect their skin,plus I have a lot of shade in my yard. But since I bought the Furminator,I don't have to shave them because it works so well. And many breeds need to be shaved,like poodles,cockers,etc. Of course shaving them down to the skin would be silly unless the dog was extremely matted,which shouldn't happen!Edit: In my experience,havey-coated dogs DO stay cooler if they are clipped short.I had Chow/Aussie mixes and they would pant terribly when it was hot.After they were clipped,they seemed much more comfortable and they are easier to keep clean.Also,professional groomers and vets shave many dogs in the summer.My cousin has been a groomer for 30 years and she shaves every breed - St.Bernards,Chows,Goldens,GSDs and even Labs! And so does my vet! I saw a Giant Schnauzer at the vet the other day and she was almost naked! The owner had hand -stripped her because her coat was icky from just being in heat.This was a young dog and she is going to show her,so she will have to wait a while until her coat comes back in.But as long as a dog has protection from the sun or cold weather,I think it is entirely up to the owner of the dog.

• Yes, it will keep them cooler, but it can cause sun burn, and skin cancer, later down the road.I never shave my dog in summer (she is a shih tzu). I make sure I walk her early mornings & late afternoon, when it is not that hot.