Will dogs urinate in the house to get attention or display anger?

My dog will urinate very small puddles on the carpet despite the fact that I take her outside pretty frequently where she also urinates. If so, how do I break this habit?

My dog will urinate very small puddles on the carpet despite the fact that I take her outside pretty frequently where she also urinates. If so, how do I break this habit?...
    General Dog Discussions : Will dogs urinate in the house to get attention or display anger?...

• Will dogs urinate in the house to get attention or display anger?

Will dogs urinate in the house to get attention or display anger? General Dog Discussions
      My dog will urinate very small puddles on the carpet despite the fact that I take her outside pretty frequently where she also urinates. If so, how do I break this habit?

Will dogs urinate in the house to get attention or display anger? General Dog Discussions
    • First thing you will need to put up a barrior where your pet won't urinate on carpet,as she is associating the carpet with the feel of grass on her paws.Don't allow it on the carpet,because even a dog that is fully house trained will urinate on a carpet.

• you house train her. keep her on a leash and supervise her at all times. if you can't supervise her then crate her. if this is new behavior, take her to the vet to make sure she doesn't have a medical issue.

• Positive reinforcement and a firm schedule of food water and potty breaks. When taking the dog out side have a "special treat" that is only given when business is properly done outside. Issue a command like "Hurry Up" or "Go Potty" and wait. If nothing happens continue the walk and try again. When sucessful praise and give the treat... Then don't just go rushing back inside, instead play a bit and continue the walk. When you rush back inside the dog is learning that quickly doing it business terminates the outside fun. By playing and rewarding only after doing its business you instead teach the dog to quickly go and by staying outside longer you are further reinforcing that outside the the place to go. Further walking will allow additional opportunity to mark territory and further drian what seems to be an almost infinite supply.Small puddles do indicate that marking is going on. Male and Female dogs will mark once they reach sexual maturity, spaying/neutering before sexual maturity will help prevent or minimized marking tendencies.Once a dog marks a spot the odor remain and signal the dog that this is a good spot to refresh their mark. It is very important to clean the area thoroughly. If you have rugs I would buy a small wet/dry vac that will allow you to pull liquids from the rug and underlayment. Vac up the urine then flood the area with a cleaning solution and vac up then rinse and vac up. Cleaning solution can be a "Pet deodorizer" or a solution of White Vinegar, water and a drop or two of dish soap .Linoleum and hard floors are easier to clean up but still need to be deodorized just as thoroughly. Limit free acces to the home by using baby gates to restrict the dog to hard floor areas. Watch your dog for signs they are about to go. Sniffing an area , pacing whimpering or going to the door indicate a need to go. Sniffing is a good tell tale of marking.You have to catch the dog in the act just before it goes in order to apply an effective correction. A loud noise (hand clap) or verbal command like NO followed immeadiately by leading the dog outside.Placing your dog on a leash attached to your hip while inside will allow your to watch your dog and keep him/her insight. Shaker cans are a good means of making a startling noise that can be used as a correction. ( A few pennies in an empty soda can is shaken behind your back with a NO command will provide an excesslt distraction to peeing. Don't let the dog see the shaker can you do not want the dog to associate with can but the startling noise. ) Get the dog outside (don't forget to take the special treat with you) and praise when is goes outside. If you don't catch your dog at the moment when its thinking about going than its too late. The dog with its pea sized brain doesn't remember it went in the house so correcting for a puddle you find is a wasted effort and the dog won't understand why the correction is being given and then you will run the risk of developing a shyness or a submissive urination issue to appease you. The dog doesn't understand why your upset and doesn't connect a freshly left puddle with he correction so it submissively urinates to show you your boss. Harsh corrections won't work. Forget about rubbing the nose in it. Consider a dog will eat its own poop so what makes you think rubbing its nose in it will do any good? You can also try using a Belly Band or diaper as an aid in housebreaking.