Would agility satisfy a border collies need for mental stimulation?

I may get a border collie, but I know they need a lot of mental stimulation to stay happy dogs. Since they were bred for herding, I am worried that they won't be happy with just agility.I may be able to do herding, if it is not to expensive. Since, I…

I may get a border collie, but I know they need a lot of mental stimulation to stay happy dogs. Since they were bred for herding, I am worried that they won't be happy with just agility.I may be able to do herding, if it is not to expensive. Since, I…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Would agility satisfy a border collies need for mental stimulation?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Would agility satisfy a border collies need for mental stimulation?

Would agility satisfy a border collies need for mental stimulation? Dog Breed Discussions
      I may get a border collie, but I know they need a lot of mental stimulation to stay happy dogs. Since they were bred for herding, I am worried that they won't be happy with just agility.I may be able to do herding, if it is not to expensive. Since, I will already be doing agility, things will add up in monies.Thank you.PS: Any additional information you have on border collies needs, will help me tremendously on deciding.

Would agility satisfy a border collies need for mental stimulation? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Yes, border collies need a "job", they are known to be up to "mischief" if they are not mentally stimulated or exercised well daily. Think about what you can do with him and let him decide what is best for himself. i.e. do what he enjoys most whatever it is.

• Yes that would help. But also try to take her on more walks/runs. I take my high energy doberman on bike rides with me(they catch on really fast) and I use a treadmill for cold/hot days. To save money I got a used treadmill I found on craigslist.com. It's about 10 years old...but I only paid $40 for it!Good luck!

• Border Collies are well-suited for agility, and most of the top agility dogs in competition are Borders.If you're not sure about the expense of herding, also look at things like FlyBall and Dog Disc for your Border.

• Agility will be plenty of stimulation for a border collie! It doesn't exactly satisfy the herding instinct, but it keeps them busy, happy, and mentally sharp!Besides, I have an Australian Shepherd (not quite as energetic as a border collie, but close), and when he see the wild turkeys in our yard, he just looks at them. He is too young to start agility training, but when we go see my friend who does agility, he loves to play on the equipment! Especially the A frame and the tunnel!

• Yes, agility does satisfy border collies. If you are getting a pup from a breeder, they are usually bred for herding. If you want the dog for agility, best not to try herding for a few years after starting agility, the herding instinct may be greater than the desire for agility. Flyball is another good dog sport for BC's. They do need lots of exercise and something to keep them busy if you want to save shoes, sprinklers, hoses, etc. My dogs get two good walks/runs each day unless we are at a trial. My purebred is a soft dog and her confidence has grown since starting agility one year ago. I have just started training my cross and it is helping with his social issues (he is a rescue). I have had my purebred on sheep a couple of times, however places to do herding require more travel time and are not as convenient as agility. At least with agility you can have some equipment in your yard!As for additional information, best to have something for the BC to do if you are at work during the day. I have numerous toys, stuffed Kongs (keeps them busy for hours) and large bones to keep them occupied. My first BC came to me as a foster dog and I didn't know much about them. I did learn fast after loosing a couple pairs of shoes, my husband lost a pair of slippers and drip irrigation lines were chewed. Oh, and she now has a race track with nicely banked curves in the yard. A fenced yard is a must.Hope this helps.

• I got my BC as a pup 3 years ago. I had nothing but Shelties since 1967....my agility Sheltie was 9 at the time (MACH CATCH NATCH MAD GM JM JHD) and I decided to get a pup for "emotional protection" for the future. I lost my soulmate this Feb.I had planned on another Sheltie, could not find one I liked. I have been training agility students for about 13 years and had BCs in classes...and though I had seen like a bazillion at trials....watching then in classes, watching them "learn" fascinated me.VERY different breed. Very similar to the Sheltie, but everything is SO MUCH MORE SO. Very quick to learn, and pattern.....but that can be a very scary thing too! Be careful what you teach them, knowingly or not!Quickly picked up: when it is raining outside and I come in, "mom" is going to wipe my feet"...so she waits on the porch. Also, when picked up cocci and had "poopy pants" learned "when I have poopy pants, "mom" takes me outside and hoses them off"...so stands at doorway asking for a "bath". While training weave poles (used WAMs) was going great...until I decided to "push her" a bit. When she popped the last pole, I did not throw the toy, said "oops" in a non-commital tone, brought her back and resent her. When she got to the 11th pole, she stopped, layed down, looked at me with a confused and sad look, ears down!!! Hmmmmm That sure took some thinking on my part!Agility work daily mostly keeps Wren satified, physically and mentally. But she demands a lot more. I have taken her out for herding on occasion too, and hope to be consistent next year...but as you say, time and money!From the start, I worked on "settle" in the house, though we did and do play inside. I just want her to know "enough, now hang loose". She is laying at my side now.We have out own huge agility lawn and all equipment. We go out daily for at least a little work, a lot of play. Sometimes only one time, sometimes 3 times. I try to walk her daily around our 180 acre farm....some short walks, some walks depending on weather. She is out with me watering, and biting at the water. She helps me poop scoop, sweep, go to the mailbox., carry clothes from laundry to bedrooms, vacuum....you get my driftWe teach her tricks.At night we must play ball, or tug. But I throw the ball different directions, to make sure she watches and thinks. Through a doorway, onto a chair, to the left, to the right.....up so she can catch it....tell her "go" and she runs away, stops and looks, and I bounce it to her. I will hide it under my leg, under a pillow....whew! I'm tired already!what do you have now?