How to convince my parents to let me get a Border Collie puppy?

I'm a very responsible 13 year old girl who absolutely loves animals. I currently have an adult male Pitbull who is very, very, VERY active and who gets along with my neighbors' dogs perfectly well. He's kind of alone throughout the day even though both…

I'm a very responsible 13 year old girl who absolutely loves animals. I currently have an adult male Pitbull who is very, very, VERY active and who gets along with my neighbors' dogs perfectly well. He's kind of alone throughout the day even though both…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How to convince my parents to let me get a Border Collie puppy?...

• How to convince my parents to let me get a Border Collie puppy?

How to convince my parents to let me get a Border Collie puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm a very responsible 13 year old girl who absolutely loves animals. I currently have an adult male Pitbull who is very, very, VERY active and who gets along with my neighbors' dogs perfectly well. He's kind of alone throughout the day even though both of my parents work from home. I want I get him a buddy. A buddy who could be his training partner. How do I convince my parents to let me get another puppy? Preferably a Border Collie puppy? I've done TONS AND TONS of research so I am well-prepared. I want this puppy really bad and I would be buying everything for him/her. Help!!!

How to convince my parents to let me get a Border Collie puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
    • You dont and especially not a Border Collie there working dogs .My parents have 8 as they have a sheep farm .There a breed that needs a lot of exercise stimulation and always need to be doing something .You have one dog dont be so ungrateful.

• If you'd really done TONS AND TONS of research, or even a little bit of research, you'd know that border collies are very active herding dogs who need to work. They don't do well being kept as pets. Do some more research and find a more suitable breed for someone who wants a pet.

• Your APBT does NOT need a buddyDon't use your other dog as an excuse to want another dogYour APBT is lazy compared to the energy of a BCThey are WORKING DOGS, they should NOT be kept as petsNo puppy should be left alone 6+ hours a day anywaysI doubt you as a child are prepared for a BC

• Pit Bull is two words.You don't need a Border Collie. You cannot afford to support this breed of dog. These dogs are working dogs, and need mental stimuation. You haven't done enough research, otherwise you would realize that this breed of dog is not for the average owner. When the dog turns a year old, you would need to send it out to a professional sheepdog trainer, for 3 months, which runs around $500.00 per month. After that, you would need to continue taking lessons at least 3 days a week, which run $35.00-$50.00 an hour depending on the caliber of the trainer. Dogs have emergencies, my last three were $1500.00, $3000.00 and $5000.00. Can you afford that? Can you afford routine vet bills?

• try making a presentation and show them everything you know on the breed. i am just like you. 13 years old i love animals so much that i stopped eating meat 5 years ago, because i felt like such a hypocrite for saying i loved animals than sitting down to a ham sandwich. i own many animals, including 2 budgies, a cockatiel, two goldfish, and a cat, which i take full care of. past animals that i owned included hermit crabs, leopard geckos, hamsters, guinea pigs, fish, and more. :)i even volunteer at pet stores.try making a presentation and show them everything you know on the breed. youcan get a big, colorfull bristle board, and make everything look very professional. also, do NOT whine or do anything imature, this will NOT help you with anything act very mature and you will be treated mature.next, make a puppy care booklet, explaining the work and responcibility that comes with a new puppy. make a contract with your parents that states that you are fully capable of taking FULL responcibility and doing all of the work\paying for this puppy yourself, and if you don't, they can give the dog away. sign it and put a spot where your parents can sign it too.this SHOULD convince them. but if it does not, than respect your parents decision. puppies can cost up to $2000 in the first month alone! this can be anywhere from training him combined with the cost of vet certificets, (not to mention the puppy himself) to vet bills for chewing up your moms favorite slippers! if money is the problem, consider getting an adult shelter dog. they cost less up front, and get into MUCH less trouble. plus, you would be saving the lives of a needy dog :) oh, and if you do decide to buy from a breeder, which i highly discourage, NEVER EVER EVER buy from a backyard breeder or pet store! in case you did not know, backyard breeders are breeders with no knowledge on breeding puppies, and charge for much more (or less) for a sickly mutt that might not even be the right breed! they produce very sickly puppies, that may be cheap up front, but cost MUCH more in vet bills as they get older.good luck!

• Karie,I can tell you are very passionate about this! I think it is wonderful that you care for animals and want more. However I have to agree that a border collie may not be the best choice. You also need to consider the type of dog you have now, I have worked with pit bulls and they can be very dog aggresive. You would need to make sure whichever dog you get is okay with your dog. He may not want a buddy. Do not get another dog for "training" purposes because it will not help. When people have two dogs it usually means their first dog was fully trained and the second will learn from it not them learning together. In fact typically training two dogs is way harder then one. Especially together. And at thirteen years old i am curious how much money you have saved. Their is alot of costs with having a dog and people with full time jobs sometimes have trouble with everything dog related. Shots can run you a couple of hundred plus checkups. The cost of purchasing it is another couple hundred. Dog food is going to be thirty-fifty a month at least. Leashes and collars will cost you 20-50 a crate is going to be 50 at least. So it is more expensive then you may realize, do you have fifty a month for food alone?Plus the 10 dollars in shampoo? Or the fifty for flea and tick medicine? Or to take it to the groomers? Also if both of your parents are home all day and night then he has enough company and does not necessarily need a friend. Are you prepared for training the puppy to go outside? That can take alot of effort and your parents may not want to go through the puppy phase again. I know you say you have done alot of research but their is so much to know! I don't want you feeling like everyone is attacking you for wanting a dog but it is because we were all thirteen and we know what you are going through! I did the same thing you are and i convienced my parents to let me get a dog. I wish I would have waited a while and choose the perfect breed for me and waited until i had a job and time. I know you may be upset at the responses you received but we do not want to see anymore dogs at the pound because people were not as prepared as they thought or because the dog wasnt perfect. Please think this through some more.

• it's hilarious how so many people claim to know so much about border collies.they make great pets.I have one.I also have a blue australian shepherd, also a herding dog.border collies are loyal and yes, high energy, but that's why getting one for your other dog who's also hyper is a good idea.that's what I did for my older dog. I got him the border collie. then I got the border collie a friend, the aussie shepherd.if you are able to keep your pit exercised and well trained, then you can have time to do the same for a border collie.that said, you just need to talk to your parents about it.start a conversation and see where it goes.