How do I keep my Border Collie inside our invisible fence?

My Border Collie aged 2 was trained to stay inside our invisible fence a year ago but the last few weeks she just runs out and takes the shock. It's still the same power and frequency, she gets plenty of attention (frisbees, walks, etc) but she still…

My Border Collie aged 2 was trained to stay inside our invisible fence a year ago but the last few weeks she just runs out and takes the shock. It's still the same power and frequency, she gets plenty of attention (frisbees, walks, etc) but she still…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do I keep my Border Collie inside our invisible fence?...

• How do I keep my Border Collie inside our invisible fence?

How do I keep my Border Collie inside our invisible fence? Dog Breed Discussions
      My Border Collie aged 2 was trained to stay inside our invisible fence a year ago but the last few weeks she just runs out and takes the shock. It's still the same power and frequency, she gets plenty of attention (frisbees, walks, etc) but she still bolts when a person is walking by. The mailman is very upset!

How do I keep my Border Collie inside our invisible fence? Dog Breed Discussions
    • u dig up the fence and put a real fence up. most dogs have a drive that if they see something they dont care what happens to their body they want to get whatever they see. invisible fences r cruel. so get a nice 6 foot tall fence

• I don't want to lecture you, but you shouldn't use an electric fence. It really offers no protection for your dog - she can just take the shock and go where she wants. She might get hit by a car, get pregnant, stolen, etc. It also doesn't prevent other animals from coming in and possibly hurting your dog.Honestly, the best thing you could do is not use an electric fence. Keep the dog inside or build a fence, or by a small run/kennel for her.

• You're about to get bombarded by people who feel this is animal abuse.Have fun!EDIT** I would never use electric fence, Anything i say will be exactly like what everyone else is going to say***

• well it might be time to put up a real fence or keep the dog on a lead or put up a real electric fence about 5 inches off the ground.. if you're in a neighborhood disreguard the electric fence idea.

• have you checked to see that the fence is working right? like there isnt a short in it? or maybe the collars batteries need to be replaced? or, maybe the prongs arent making contact to the skin? with our aussie, we have the shave a little one inch square on her neck or else it doesnt make contact with her skin cause her hair is so thick there (and now that its getting colder your dogs getting its winter coat.

• Some dogs can have persistent personalities. Trust me, I have two pit bulls, and it's hard to get their attention at times. I think it's great that you spend lots of physical activity time with you Border Collie, but I don't think that has much to do with the problem. The dog sees the mailman, as someone that has invaded his/her territory. Maybe, you should try different method of keeping her in the yard. Some obedience classes will adress this issue. It may just take you standing in the yard with her for long periods of time, and when someone walks by, teach him/her what is acceptable. Good luck.

• We had an invisible fence and it too worked for a while but once they get immune to getting shocked it doesnt stop them at all. What we done with our dogs was put them up for a little while and then when we put them back out the shock hurt again and it worked a little while longer, but eventually we had to put up a real fence. Goodluck!

• "invisible fence" is one of the more dangerous and cruel ways/ inventions how to make money.Your dog may be willing to "take the jolt" and leave, however, will she be willing to come back.

• get her fixed if not. try taking out to end of yard on lead say no if goes out of yard pull back in yard with lead. that's how i trained mine. i can let loose and he will stay in yard. put in house when time for mail might help to? good luck

• This is the down side of invisible fences. She's a dog, if she wants to run she will... and like someone else said, it doesn't keep other dogs and animals out of your yard like a real fence would. But if you can't afford to fence your yard or for some reason don't want one, I suggest a lead. You can buy them at almost any store, I know for a fact Wal-Mart even has them. They're not expensive. As long as you don't have trees or shrubbery near by that she would/ could get tangled in, you just stick the pin thingy in the ground and connect the lead to her collar. We used this for many years with our dog and the only things he didn't like about it was that he couldn't get to visitors fast enough to lick their faces off, lol. Best wishes.

• My parents have an invisible fence too (they have 2 boston terriers and a golden retreiver) and for some reason the golden retreiver started doing that a few weeks ago too even though she's been trained on it for 2 years. They upped the frequency a little and it seemed to help for her. Just up the frequency by just a little and walk her to the edge with a leash. If it's high enough it will teach her that she will get shocked harder next time if she keeps on trying to catch the mailman ;o)

• I see nothing wrong with invisible fences as long as you don't live right by a busy road. I have one, I live on 8 acres in the country. My dog does great with it and she is an Australian Shepherd. I recently got an English Mastiff and for the time being she is also doing well. When my Aussie would run through it I would just call her and she would come back. I solved the problem by turning it all the way to 10, she has not been shocked since. And before I get crucified here, I don't know about all shock collars but ours is a static shock not a electrical shock. And for the people who call it cruel and don't understand how they work, the dog hears a series of beeps before it is shocked, and so they know when they hear the beeps they can't go any further without being shocked. Most dogs pick it up very quickly and are only "shocked" a few times.

• Ok I've been in your shoes exactly...When we rescued my seven year old Border Collie she would escape our wooden fence (as we did have one to avoid any comments about building one) she would climb, dig holes, anything she could to get out. Border Collies are known for their herding abilities as well as their energy, so when she chases things like cats, kids, or the mailman she is tapping into her instincts...it's hard to stop that without proper excercise and training. Electric collar systems can work, but they are a training device. So if you leave it on and expect it to work when your not around she/he will still find a way. We ended up using one as a last resort.....we tried taking her to work with us....working her out more but if anything caught her attention (like voices from out front) she'd get through. It was recommended by a certified animal trainer and approved by my stepfather who is a leading veterinarian. The volt is used to startle the animal and not cause harm to them....much like a spanking to a child (you're not hitting them or hurting them! You're only doing it hard enough to startle them out of doing something bad. But they also need to understand why it's happening.This is a link to a page that explains common myths about these collars:http://petsafe-warehouse.com/customer_info/myths.htmWhat ended up working for us was increasing the amount of time that she was allowed inside on a bed with a bone...but still limiting her movement around the house, with occasional play time or affection time. Border Collies can be really sensative and require a lot of attention but hey are also generally really well behave and quick to learn. Run her a lot more, throwing balls or frisbees until she can barely move and keep her in the backyard after. Our's eventually learned that there were more pleasing reasons to stay put than to run off....if you're still having trouble maybe even consult a trainer. Your's is still very young and so has a lot of energy that needs to be exherted. As she gets older she might calm down a bit.I hope this helps!