4 week old puppy was brought to my work mother is deceased?

I am a vet technician and a puppy was brought in to the hospital i work at. The mother had died but the puppy is perfectly healthy. Now I know 8 weeks is preferable, but is there any way to substitute his development in hopes to give him a happy…

I am a vet technician and a puppy was brought in to the hospital i work at. The mother had died but the puppy is perfectly healthy. Now I know 8 weeks is preferable, but is there any way to substitute his development in hopes to give him a happy…...
    General Dog Discussions : 4 week old puppy was brought to my work mother is deceased?...

• 4 week old puppy was brought to my work mother is deceased?

4 week old puppy was brought to my work mother is deceased? General Dog Discussions
      I am a vet technician and a puppy was brought in to the hospital i work at. The mother had died but the puppy is perfectly healthy. Now I know 8 weeks is preferable, but is there any way to substitute his development in hopes to give him a happy life.well assholes i said the puppy is perfectly healthy. by the way baby formula is bad use espilac. have any of you jerks ever heard that a puppy learns a lot from its mother and its litter mates in the weeks 3-7 like when to not bite. That was my first and last question on this useless site. grow up TI was asking more about behavior not health.

4 week old puppy was brought to my work mother is deceased? General Dog Discussions
    • Your best bet is to allow him to be around a litter of puppies his age (all need to be UTD on vaccines, as you know being a fellow vet-tech!) for proper socialization and so he can learn appropriate behavior (what is acceptable to litter mates, what is not). Pups really need that solid foundation. At our clinic when we get abandoned pups in we call local rescues and inquire about litters around the same age. We will either place the pup into the litter (for all those fundamentals!) or bring some of the pups with Mom into work for a few hours a day. Hope this helps!

• By 4 weeks of age, the puppy should be ready to start feeding on softened puppy food. Still offer 2 feedings a day of puppy formula, one in the morning, one at night, but during the day, feed him/her the softened puppy food. Leave fresh water down for him/her at all times when he/she is running around.

• Lots of socialization. You want it with people and other dogs, hopefully vaccinated and as much as possible. I rescue Bloodhounds. Unfortunately the puppies are huge and unscrupulous breeders dump them early. Nutrition isn't as important as Nurture. Many bytches start to wean their pups around 4 weeks. Having a Mom and litter mates teaches them a lot. If you have a big alpha female Momma, she will help a lot.We see a lot of behavior problems with pups taken too early. You are smart to be concerned. Yes, you can turn it around.