After my dog gets dewormed, and he pooped out worms, is it safe to touch him?

My 2-month old toy poodle recently got dewormed at Petco yesterday. That night, he pooped out two dead worms. Now I'm like terrified to touch him because I might get it too. So did the dewormer kill all? And I can let him lick me and stuff like normal?…

My 2-month old toy poodle recently got dewormed at Petco yesterday. That night, he pooped out two dead worms. Now I'm like terrified to touch him because I might get it too. So did the dewormer kill all? And I can let him lick me and stuff like normal?…...
    General Dog Discussions : After my dog gets dewormed, and he pooped out worms, is it safe to touch him?...

• After my dog gets dewormed, and he pooped out worms, is it safe to touch him?

After my dog gets dewormed, and he pooped out worms, is it safe to touch him? General Dog Discussions
      My 2-month old toy poodle recently got dewormed at Petco yesterday. That night, he pooped out two dead worms. Now I'm like terrified to touch him because I might get it too. So did the dewormer kill all? And I can let him lick me and stuff like normal? Or do I have to take him to the vet? (which is pretty hard for us since my dad recently got surgery and can't go to work for a month =/)Also....is pooping a lot a side effect of the deworming?AND if my dog does still have worms, what are some precautions that we need to take so that we don't get it?

After my dog gets dewormed, and he pooped out worms, is it safe to touch him? General Dog Discussions
    • Its totally safe to pick him up. As long as you don't lick his butt, you won't get worms. The dewormer should have killed all of them, but he might get more later. Licking won't transmit worms from him to you, unless he licked his butt prior to licking your mouth... something to think about. Worms are a normal part of having a dog. There's nothing to be afraid of. Sometimes, dogs will defecate more after being dewormed. You can't get the worms unless you ingest worms of worm larvae.

• That is what the dewormer does so don't worry about it. You can touch, play with him, without worry. You should have him on a regular monthly deworming schedule and you will never have to worry about them again. You should be washing your hands after handling him anyway. Pick up his poop in the yard and throw it in trash (get a pooper scooper or use a plastic bag, turnit inside out, pick it up and turn bag back the right way so you don't touch it). That way if he is passing worms he isn't just getting them back in him.

• I would definitely not be letting a dog that I know could or does have worms or parasites of any kind, lick me.All it takes is for you to ingest the eggs or larvae, & btw, the eggs are microscopic.I would be taking him to the VET & getting a real worm medication, that is more than likely going to work the first time. Then ask about a monthly preventative like Interceptor, that's what I use & highly recommend it. See if you can work out a payment plan with your VET.

• The short answer is that you should be washing your hands frequently whenever you handle your puppy to prevent transmission of parasites and germs. As for whether you need to go to the vet, your puppy needs to be going to the vet for check-ups and vaccinations, anyway. Believe me I understand the stress of paying for vet visits, but the reality is that preventative veterinary care is part of owning a pet and if you can't find a way to afford it, you can't afford to own the puppy. You can take a stool sample (poop) to the vet -- it can be an hour or two old if necessary, but fresher is better. The vet can do a fecal float and determine which parasites may be in your puppy's system. OTC dewormers do not target every single type of parasite, and worming without knowing what parasites you are trying to get out of the puppy's system is not the best solution. You could miss some, while stressing the puppies system with an unnecessary, harsh treatment for other parasites that aren't affecting him. A fecal test can be done at most vet clinics without actually bringing the dog in, and is usually quite reasonably priced, so shop around by calling a few clinics if the first one sounds expensive. (Fecal tests should be repeated every 6 months and dewormer given only when needed, for the best health of your puppy and your family.) Even though you can do the fecal test without making an appointment for your puppy, though, I cannot stress enough that you should be taking your puppy to a vet as soon as possible for an initial wellness exam and vaccinations. While you are there, you can discuss worming and other issues that you will face as your puppy grows. You sound like this may be your first puppy, so there is a lot that your vet can help you learn as you embark on an exciting and challenging adventure. Some of the vaccinations should be given at 8 weeks (so, if your puppy is 2-months old, he's due!) and then repeated at 12 weeks and 16 weeks, and then again at 1 year in order to build necessary immunity to very serious diseases like Parvovirus (a disease that is extremely contagious, very expensive to treat, and usually fatal in untreated puppies). So you should realize that the first year of your puppy's life, there will be some extra costs associated with going to the vet regularly. It is so much better to do the right thing now, though, than to face the consequences if your puppy were to later become gravely ill from something that is completely preventable through proper vetting.Good luck with your puppy.