6 week old puppy has diarrhea?

Yesterday I took her to work with me and I forgot her food (dont know what I was thinking) anyways, I ran to the stroe during my lunch break and bought some pedigree (for puppies) they only had lamb with rice (she usually eats chicken and beef) anyway…

Yesterday I took her to work with me and I forgot her food (dont know what I was thinking) anyways, I ran to the stroe during my lunch break and bought some pedigree (for puppies) they only had lamb with rice (she usually eats chicken and beef) anyway…...
    General Dog Discussions : 6 week old puppy has diarrhea?...

• 6 week old puppy has diarrhea?

6 week old puppy has diarrhea? General Dog Discussions
      Yesterday I took her to work with me and I forgot her food (dont know what I was thinking) anyways, I ran to the stroe during my lunch break and bought some pedigree (for puppies) they only had lamb with rice (she usually eats chicken and beef) anyway she didnt finish her food during luch nor for dinner. She fell asleep and she woke up and threw up like the size of a quater. I called the emergency vet and she said I changed her food so sudden and thats not good for a puppy. So she told me to mix the chicken w/ beef along w/ the lamb w/ rice. Well I did last night and today for breakfast I put more chicken w/ beef in her dish. So for lunch I just gave her chicken w/ beef and some warm water mixed in. Last nite she pooped and it was just a little bit more moist. But just 15 min ago she pooped and it was runny (not watery). What should I feed her (clear instructions please).psI know she is very young (mom died)Vet told me when I got her to give her can puppy food (no more milk).No she isnt vaccinated, her appointment is this friday. I got her when she was 29 days old so the vet said 02/15/2008 for her shots.

6 week old puppy has diarrhea? General Dog Discussions
    • As she's only 6 weeks old I'd take her in to see the vet. Diarrhea can cause serious dehydration problems if not properly treated which could be even more fatal to such a young puppy.

• Go back to the Chicken and Beef, if she was doing well on that. What brand is that one? Generally, most people wouldn't recommend Pedigree (any flavour), especially since she's so tiny you might want to try a higher quality food to make sure she's getting her nutrients. If you DO switch again, make sure you do a smooth transition from old to new food, over a period of 2 weeks, slowly trimming down the old food and adding more new. But if it keeps up, with the diarrhea, get her checked out by the vet. Chances are it was due to the change in food though.

• puppies need to have change in diet very slowly. they cannot go from one dog food to another one over nite. like making the transaction from one to another like over a week period. Make sure it gets plenty of water to avoid dehydration.Hope the puppy feels better !!

• First, I hope your dog is vaccinated & am thinking if you were calling a vet for info, that you are smart enough to have done that already. If unvaccinated, I'd get puppy checked by vet asap. If vaccinated, then the change of food is most likely the problem. Animals can become sick whenever their food is changed, so whenever you switch to a new food you do it by gradually mixing the new food in with the old food, first maybe 1/4 new food to 3/4 old food for a few days, then 1/2 & 1/2 for a few days, then 3/4 new to 1/4 old for a few days, then all new food - their systems need time to adjust to the change. I'd leave her without food for a few hours (water only) to give her tummy a rest, or maybe a small amount of a diarrhea medicine called Pet Pectillin that is available at most pet stores - its quite safe & mild, then return to her old food, but don't overfeed her, maybe slightly underfeed her for a day or two. Then if you feel you must give her the other food, maybe try mixing it in the proportions noted above, but if she was doing ok on the old food, why change at all? don't give human medications for diarrhea unless so instructed by a vet, as human medications can be deadly.

• I never feed my pups can food I always did and always had runny stoold.I feed Purina One puppy food just slightly moistened with water or goats milk ( goats milk is digestable and I have bottle fed with this ( cows miilk is hard for even adult dogs to digest giving diarhea and upset tummy)I would not suggest taking her anywhere at this young age.She should have or should as soon as possible gotten her first booster shot at 6 weeks old.She should be tested for worms and coccidia.( stool sample)

• Diarrhea is bad news with puppies because they can get dehydrated very easily. Do a skin pinch test to make sure your puppy is staying hydrated. Grab your puppy's skin and pull the skin away from the puppy's body. A fully hydrated pup's skin will immediately "snap" back. A mildly dehydrated pup's skin with take significantly longer and sort of "ooze" back into place. A severely dehydrated pup's skin will actually stay pinched out away from the pup's body. Your puppy is very young, and if she were still with her mom, she would probably just now being weaned. She needs something that she can easily chew (canned food is excellent for this) and something that is easily digestible (no corn or corn products, no meat by-products). Pedigree isn't very good for dogs since its got a ton of corn in it and no good meat sources. You can do a lot better without spending a ton more. I've had great success with Innova canned puppy food, and have feed it to my younger foster puppies in the past before transitioning them to dry kibble. Other brands that I like are Canidae (very reasonably priced in my area), Blue Buffalo (the only good food that Petsmart sells), Merrick, Wellness, Solid Gold, and Natural Balance. Stay far, far away from Iams, Pedigree, Purina, Ol Roy, and Science Diet. Stick to corn-free and meat by-products-free foods, and you'll do just fine. There's a possibility that there is more going on health-wise with your pup than just the food changes. At only 6 weeks old and not properly weaned, your puppy has a very underdeveloped immune system and the puppy vaccinations are not very effective in such young puppies. By taking your puppy around to your work place, dog stores, on walks in public areas, or dog parks, you're exposing the puppy to all sorts of nasties, like the usually fatal parvo virus. Please keep your puppy quarantined until you can be sure that she's protected. Keep an eye on all vomit and diarrhea, and take your puppy to the vet immediately if you see any blood in either. Good luck.

• You have to cook...buy brown rice and chicken. Cook the rice, mix with chicken...feed your pup. it got nutrient and your dog will eat it without irritating her stomach too much. Slowly mix her food back into the chicken and rice when she no longer has diarrhea. (do a 75/25 mix 75% chicken/rice mix 25 % her regular dog food, in a few day change the mix to 50/50 then in a few days 25/75 then to 100% of her regular food. Make sure she has plenty of water. I think you shouldn't have taken her to work, she doesn't have her shots she could have eaten something on the floor that's not good for her. Keep her home until she's vaccinated.If she continues to have diarrhea, take her to the vet immediately she would get dehydrated. Give her water with electrolyte to help prevent dehydration.