My neighbor is running a puppy mill, how can I stop it?

I called the humane society on him, they said they'd send the dog warden out (he's totally useless, he doesn't give a care unless the dogs are running loose), but I think he is getting bribed. He's got so many dogs it's terrible! They are all chained up…

I called the humane society on him, they said they'd send the dog warden out (he's totally useless, he doesn't give a care unless the dogs are running loose), but I think he is getting bribed. He's got so many dogs it's terrible! They are all chained up…...
    General Dog Discussions : My neighbor is running a puppy mill, how can I stop it?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My neighbor is running a puppy mill, how can I stop it?

My neighbor is running a puppy mill, how can I stop it? General Dog Discussions
      I called the humane society on him, they said they'd send the dog warden out (he's totally useless, he doesn't give a care unless the dogs are running loose), but I think he is getting bribed. He's got so many dogs it's terrible! They are all chained up (there was at last count 30 dogs there!). He doesn't take them to the vet EVER (we saw him shoot a bunch of his cats because he didn't want to get them fixed!), and he's running an illicit business. The ASPCA and other organizations won't come out because we are so far away. This is in Pennsylvania, btw. Any suggestions about what I can do to this totally irresponsible person? You should see the poor dogs, he barely feeds, they are NEVER taken for even a SINGLE walk, and it stinks like dog poop something awful.Calling the cops is not an option (although they know him- he was convicted of indecent assault on a 14 year old girl in town), because even with real crimes they hate coming out here. I'm totally serious. The state cops get bent if you call them! Plus, they'll just refer it to the humane society anyway.Also, unfortunately the vet (she's right down the road about a mile!) knows ALL about this loser. It's such a shame, it's like if you are in the boonies no one seems to care and they get away with murder! Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm still reading. It's good to see SOME people care! :)

My neighbor is running a puppy mill, how can I stop it? General Dog Discussions
    • If your local shelter and the ASPCA have been of no help, your next step is probably to get the police involved.You can make an anonymous call and they'll come out to see what's going on. Getting the police involved might just be the "motivation" the dog warden needs.Good luck.

• You should keep pestering the animal welfare organizations. They can take a look around the property if you irritate them enough. Maybe ask your veterinarian to help you get an animal welfare organization to notice; I'm sure he/she will care. The police might be able to help as well.Don't go over there yourself to gather evidence or to help the dogs. You could be caught and charged with trespassing on another's property.

• I would try your local health department and the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) they are both supposed to inspect any kennels that have more than 10 dogs (I think that it is 10), and then certify the kennel. If they come out and inspect, and the guy doesn't pass (with what you said he won't), they will shut him down, and possibly fine him. Also, I would try contacting your local police department or even your local media to try to help.

• call the police on him and if they dont do anything get him on one of those dog rescue show things but keep reporting him they will eventally care but just dont give up becuase i really want those dogs to be ok (im an animal person)

• What is your local media outlet? Big newspaper? TV? Film the dogs---get video and send it to a reporter who is looking to make a name for himself. Or see if a local channel has an investigative reporter looking for stories.Some of the channels around here will run a "promo" type ad about their reporters who investigate everything and anything.Shots of mistreated dogs and the drama of no one stepping in to help would definitely be a big story. Document what you can and search for a channel or paper.Once something like this hits the news, the dog warden will have to do something.Good luck.

• I would contact PETA. I don't know if they can help or not, but they could offer suggestions. I asked them about something like that once and they were quite helpful. Are you inside city limits? If you are... I would think there is a statute stating how many animals one can have (in my city it's 3 dogs max of you have to apply and pay for a kennel license).Another route might be to call the local health department. If he's got that many animals... I'm sure it's a health issue. They might be more willing to deal with it than the animal control people.

• Call the sheriff in your county and have them investigate it.They will go through proper channels and take care of it even if you have to be persistant. Btw the freeing them idea is totally crazy...then you have a pack of hungry dogs running free getting into god knows what and tearing up stuff and getting in traffic etc...etc...

• I would suggest calling your local sheriffs office and see if they will do anything that is awful what that person is doing and no one will do anything about it,,, I hope this has helps and I hope some one will do something soon for the sake of those poor dogs,, Im glad you are trying to save them at least someone is trying to help them

• Call the police and tell them your problem and tell them about your concern. Or try to buy some dogs from your neighbor and then give some of them away to good homes and others to the humane sosciety. Please, I hope your neighbor gets killed by one of them dogs and i hope he freakinn burns in hell. bc i would come over and save all them dogs if i cood. you are a very good person.thatnk you for trying to save some of God's beautiful creations. ^j^

• sad to say but if no one will come out i would poison all of the dogs or poison him for that matter when he is gone set them free take them all to the beach or park let them loose i would poison the dogs to take them out of that situation

• Maybe you can call the national humane society; but if they are just going to send the same guy out, that won't work.Perhaps you should tip off the local news. They would probably be very interested and could expose the issue to the public.There was a huge dog/cat mill up the road, and the woman's neighbor pretended she was interested in buying a dog so she could get inside and secretly take pictures of the awful conditions. Then she took the pictures to the police, and the national humane society sent about 100 people to come rescue and clean up all those poor animals. Good luck!

• Personally you need to ask your self how do you know he is running a puppy mill? 1) can you smell the animals = Unsanatary condition health ministry needs to know for deseases and other infectious concerns2)Noise = There are noise polution concerns that you can file with police.3) Licence = are they leagal in all there paper work .4) Humane treatment = Are they loving the animals and taking good care of them? Are the living conditions for there dogs (shots,deworming,veternary appointments5) If 1,2,3 are in question = Do they have young children that they care for are they at risk of desease or attcks(Rotwielers,Pittbulls,)To run a puppy mill is illeagal unless they are on a farm.To me i suggest shooting the owner ;) just joking But You could make a video and send it in to local TV or to the organizations that you contacted. Looks like you did all you CAN do LEAGALLY. Personally if he cant sell them he wont bother making them.