Does anyone have any recommendations for a Safe brand of dog food?

I'm very skeptical about feeding my Puggle Puppy the different brands of commercial dog food. I've done reseach that suggest they contain all types of harmful ingredients, chemicals and unsafe preservatives. Please Help me!!

I'm very skeptical about feeding my Puggle Puppy the different brands of commercial dog food. I've done reseach that suggest they contain all types of harmful ingredients, chemicals and unsafe preservatives. Please Help me!!...
    General Dog Discussions : Does anyone have any recommendations for a Safe brand of dog food?...

• Does anyone have any recommendations for a Safe brand of dog food?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Safe brand of dog food? General Dog Discussions
      I'm very skeptical about feeding my Puggle Puppy the different brands of commercial dog food. I've done reseach that suggest they contain all types of harmful ingredients, chemicals and unsafe preservatives. Please Help me!!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Safe brand of dog food? General Dog Discussions
    • California Natural is a good choice. They keep the ingredients to a minimum (less allergic reaction) and have no harmful preservatives. You can find it at a pet food store (but not at the supermarket). It is a little pricey; here it is $45 for 36 lbs.Good luck!

• The only food I would ever feed my pet is Nutro. It's the best brand that you can buy at the pet stores. There are no by-products which is healthier. If you go to the website you can sign up and get coupons. A 40lb bag will run you about $30.00.Don't use Science Diet, or any other the other "grocery store" brand. Science Diet claims to be better but has the same ingredients as the low quality foods. They have tons of by-products which cause excess waste.

• Canidae, Innova. I've heard that California Natural and Flint River Ranch are ok, as well as Royal Canin.I am about to start my dog on on something called Blue Buffalo. It seems pretty good, but I can't recommend it because I haven't tried it yet.

• I've been raising dogs for about 20 years and i have yet to have a dog that died from the dog food. The ingredients are not harmful, they are just not beneficial. There are several good dog foods out there, if you want the best go to a pet store and not a chain store. Petsmart has the best selection, search for foods that say "no fillers" or "all natural." Get a food meant for a small dogs, Science Diet, Nature's Choice are good foods. But Pedigree and Purina are good one's too, just not top of the line. Purina has been coming out with new "natural" foods.

• I use Royal Canin, my neighbor (who's a vet tech) recommends it, and my dog loves it. They have varieties especially for certain breeds, they may have one for pugs or beagles, i'm not sure. They also catagorize them in other ways, I've never paid too much attention to the other varieties, I have a shih-tzu, and they have one specifically for shih-tzus. It's a little more expensive than the other brands, but it's worth it!I would tell you to ask your vet to recommend a brand, but very often vets sell perscription food and your vet may try to sell you one of the perscriptions, which can be very expensive.Good luck, I hope this helped!P.S. I disagree with the person (or people) who recommended Science Diet, that food is all filler. Look for a food (any brand) with meat, poultry or vegetables in the first 5 ingredients, not things like wheat, corn, or flour. If one of the first 5 are things like wheat, corn, or flour the food is mostly filler and NOT nutritionally balanced.

• The only food I'll feed my pugs is ProPlan Performance. Your puggle probably shouldn't eat the Performance blend, but perhaps the sensitive skin/stomach blend, or one of the Naturals. I don't care for the Pro Plan Naturals because 1) you have to feed more of it and 2) it causes my dogs to poop more. Frankly, you can never be 100% sure about how healthy your dogs kibble is. The way the labels are designed, the ingredient with the highest level is listed first. But you don't know if it is 80% salmon, or 2% salmon. What did the puppy's breeder recommend? In many cases the breeder knows best. Or, you can ask your vet, but they are notorious for suggesting a brand that THEY SELL! That's not with the dogs best interest.

• I use Wellness, I know others who use Canidae, Solid Gold and Nutro. Check the ingredients, as you don't want alot of fillers. The other thing I would recommend is to talk to your vet. Good Luck.

• Beneful is the best brand of dog food for any dog at any age...I have a cocker spaniel...and I went through different brands of dog food for 10 years..He was eating puppy chow..only because he liked it...I've tried ALPO and Pedigree..But Beneful is a good choice...It has lots of vitamins and minerals and there are about 2 or 3 different types..one with veggies, beef, or for senior..hope this is helpful