How to tell what breed my dog is?

I bought my dog for $395 when she was four weeks. I was told that her mother rejected her. I was told that the puppy is a Shih-Poo (half shiht-zu and half poodle). My neighbor has a Shih-Poo so I know that my dog is not a Shih-Poo (she does not have any…

I bought my dog for $395 when she was four weeks. I was told that her mother rejected her. I was told that the puppy is a Shih-Poo (half shiht-zu and half poodle). My neighbor has a Shih-Poo so I know that my dog is not a Shih-Poo (she does not have any…...
    General Dog Discussions : How to tell what breed my dog is?...

• How to tell what breed my dog is?

How to tell what breed my dog is? General Dog Discussions
      I bought my dog for $395 when she was four weeks. I was told that her mother rejected her. I was told that the puppy is a Shih-Poo (half shiht-zu and half poodle). My neighbor has a Shih-Poo so I know that my dog is not a Shih-Poo (she does not have any poodle in her) from what I can see. I have been trying to figure out what kind of breed she is. She is a real small dog. She is now two years old. If anyone has any information on how I can found out what kind of breed she is I would appreciate.

How to tell what breed my dog is? General Dog Discussions
    • Join this yahoo group at the link below - they are really helpful and knowledgeable. Post a pic of your dog and they will do their best to work out what she is. But four weeks is FAR too young to buy a puppy - please never do that again, whatever they tell you. I hope she is not from a puppy mill, they will come out with all kinds of lies about the dog's background to make their dirty money, and the dogs are often unhealthy. Good luck.

• I would be contacting the person I bought the dog from. If I paid $395 for a dog I surely better be told what breed it is. Otherwise if you cannot find out from the person you got it from the vet would know for sure. Good Luck!!

• I had that same problem with my dog, I paid pretty good money for what I thought was a pure bred. I even had papers stating she was a pure bred. I took her to my vet, and we had to wait until she was a year old, because my vet wasnt sure. And even at a year old, my vet still wasnt 100% sure. He suggested a DNA test and said if the dna test stated she wasnt a pure bred, I could sue the pet store. We never did have the test, because that's what makes our dog special, the "mystery" Is she a chihuahua, is she a Chi-Russell (chihuahua, jack russell). We dont care. She's our baby and we love her. But if you really want to know, I suggest a vet, and than maybe a DNA test, if they are not sure.Good Luck :)

• it may be a "shih-poo" just because it doesn't look like your neighbors doesn't mean it isn't it's a mix bread dog so it they will not look alike it will not necessarily have the poodle coat but without seeing the mom and dad you may never know for shore not all mutes look like smiler breed mutes so don't be to worried about it .it's been two years so you can't get your money back if you love her then the what ever tow breeds made her shouldn't mater

• dogs have over 4 times the chromosomes we do so variations are endless wait till your dog is older then it will be easier to tell also i was raised raising dogs when a puppy is rejected by the mom is usually is for a reason so watch for problems