I want to own my first dog or puppy. I'm 18, and employed. How do you know what's right for you?

I want to own my first dog or puppy. I'm 18, and employed. How do you know what's right for you?

I want to own my first dog or puppy. I'm 18, and employed. How do you know what's right for you?...
    General Dog Discussions : I want to own my first dog or puppy. I'm 18, and employed. How do you know what's right for you?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I want to own my first dog or puppy. I'm 18, and employed. How do you know what's right for you?

I want to own my first dog or puppy. I'm 18, and employed. How do you know what's right for you? General Dog Discussions

I want to own my first dog or puppy. I'm 18, and employed. How do you know what's right for you? General Dog Discussions
    • you take the time to research breeds.google "dog breed selector" these are good tools to help get you started. They ask questions regarding size of dog you want, coat type, amount of grooming, exercize, etcwhile not "perfect" in choosing a breed.. they will come up with some top matches. This will help you to narrow down some breeds to research.

• Speak to some experienced dog people as to what could fit into your life - a dog is a huge responsibility - bigger than you think. You need to work out all the expenses that will come up - and they do- and make sure you don't end up in a bad situation where your dog needs a vet, and you cannot afford it. Even before that, flea and tick stuff and heartworm medication is really expensive - and absolutely necessary. It isn't just the food and the fun. On top of the money and the supplies, you really really need to think about what kind of life you could give a dog in the first place - how much time are you off at work, and how would you take care of your dog when you're not home? Dogs can't just wait 12 hours for work and the trip home - they NEED to go out, and have some friends and a walk in the middle of the day. If you can't be there, you need to pay someone else to do it - someone who will really show up all the time. Do not under ANY circumstances get a puppy - that is like parking an infant chimp in your home to wait for you. They either get into stuff and try to die of it, or they destroy things as a form of entertainment. It is a form of cruelty that many people do and shouldn't. Now you know. You could perhaps give an older dog or a retired racing Greyhound a good home - but you still need someone to take it out at lunchtime. Many older Labs will lie around and wait with little entertainment, and there are plenty around that need homes. Same thing with the retired athletes - greyhounds are sort of a cult dog, but they are excellent loungers, and are known as the 40 mile an hour couch potato. They often come with a real track record, so you could brag about their wins (or lack thereof), and they are really really funny dogs. they're also very fast when they want to be, but since they are sprinters, they don't need a million miles to go- just an occasional trip around a tennis court. Anyway, really think about this- unless you buy pet insurance, you are in for a shock when it comes to going to the vet. A weekend trip to an emergency vet can be a thousand bucks easily, and you won't have a choice. Pet sitters to come in for a daily walkabout are around 20 bucks a visit, if they are worth having at all. Just keep in mind as great as it is, it's a big commitment, and if you're not quite ready, you might just go to the dog park and cruise for chicks with dogs. Cheaper, and well, you never know.