Why do puppy mills still exist? Can we do anything about them?

Why do puppy mills still exist? Can we do anything about them?...
    General Dog Discussions : Why do puppy mills still exist? Can we do anything about them?...

• Why do puppy mills still exist? Can we do anything about them?

Why do puppy mills still exist? Can we do anything about them? General Dog Discussions

Why do puppy mills still exist? Can we do anything about them? General Dog Discussions
    • Puppy mills still exist because people are selfish, or because people are fooled into supporting them.Many people buy their dogs not caring where they come from, as long as they get their precious little yorkiedoodlegoldenpoo.A lot of people think they're doing the best by "rescuing" the puppy in the pet store, refusing to realize that all they're doing is lining the pockets of puppy millers.

• YES!! Contact your state legislators and representatives. See if they are working on any laws to control this activity in your state.If it costs the mill owners enough money to remain open or if they have to pay fines for abuse, then they are less likely to remain in business. Also, most of those cute little doggies you see in pet store windows, come from puppy mills. Never buy a puppy from a chain pet store.

• Supply and demand. People want the pups at a cheaper price so Mexicans breed them and sell them. Only prob is they are usually invested with parasites and the pups are diseased. Nice way to save a few hundred bucks huh.

• Puppy mills exist because there is a market for their product. If people would stop buying pups from pet stores, internet puppy sites, etc. they would all go out of business and the cruelty would stop.Look around on this board. You see how many people want a pup because it's cheap. They don't care if the parents are living in filth with untended injuries/illnesses, being fed garbage, and then bashed in the head when they can't produce anymore. People don't care if their pups are registered with the Continental Kennel Club or some other bogus registry - some honestly believe that "papers are papers". These people don't care - until it is their puppy dying at the vet's office days after they received it because it has parvo. Or that their 8 month old has hip dysplasia so bad that it requires thousands of dollars worth of surgery in order to live with minimal pain. Or that their 2 year old dog is having multiple grand mal seizures on their living room floor. Will they get moral support from their "breeder"? Will they get their money back or help with the vet bills? NO. They won't.What can we do about them? Educate people so they know the truth about where that cute little puppy REALLY came from. One good website is http://www.prisonersofgreed.com

• i have heard of them and i think that they are a bad thing and that every one should shut them down. the are nasty and durty and they do not care about the dogs just the money?

• yes they exist. I work at a vet clinic, and a client just came in today with his new puppy that was rescued from a puppy mill. What we can do about it is do a lot of research, and spread the information to as many people as you can about puppy mills. A lot of people don't even know what they are. Also, only get puppies from a rescue group, animal shelter, or CREDIBLE breeder. None of those backyard breeders, or breeders that sell the puppy off site, or don't let you see the parents, things like that. Always check out the breeder so you know you are getting your puppy from a good breeder, and not funding puppy mills. Also, NEVER buy a puppy from a pet store, unless it is a rescue organization at the pet store. Because puppy mills sell their puppies to pet stores. I know you see the puppies, and want to save them, but if you buy it, you are just funding puppy mills so they can produce more puppies, and hurt more lives. You could also get involved with a rescue group who saves animals from puppy mills. Or you could go as far as becoming an animal cop, like the ones on tv. They work to find places like puppy mills that treat animals in very cruel ways.

• They exist because of greedy people and those who want to purchase them for little or nothing. Most times they are not pedigree and are sick! Go to: http://www. ripoffreport.com so that other consumers know who and where they are. Rip off report won't take them off of the web page until something positive is done about it! Good luck!

• Ban puppies being sold in pet shops! Pet shops work on impulse buying! know planning no resopsible breeder to help with puppy probelms no health you don't even know the parents! people are uneducated! it is out job to do! I hate puppy farmers...Stop them!

• They exist because people are willing to pay top prices for a cute puppy, and don't know dogs well enough to know what they should look like structurally.I bred dogs for show. Based upon some of what I've seen in pet shops I'd say most of those litters should never have been bred. Inheritable defects like parrot mouth and bad conformation are common. I saw one poor minipin that's feet must have been mad at each other because they were facing in opposite directions. And I've seen large breed pups that were showing signs of bad hips at 16 weeks of age.Go to a reputable breeder to get a purebred. If you want a pet quality purebred dog they'll sell you one that doesn't make the stringent requirements for show but will be bred out of healthy stock and well socialized and have all of it's shots and be raised on decent food. And it won't cost you as much as those poorly breed dogs at a pet store. Any good breeder will be available for you when you need advice on how to deal with behavioral problems. And you'll get a health guarantee provided that you have the dog vetted and fed appropriately.Or you can get a nice healthy mutt from the pound reasonably. Or adopt a greyhound, which is a really cool dog and there are lots of them looking for homes because they're too slow to cut it at the track.The best thing to do to shut down puppy mills is to not buy their products. They are in it for the money. If people don't buy their pups they'll quit breeding.

• i don't know what puppy mills are, but i'm guessing that it is bad. i think that we can write a letter, or protest against puppy mills ( i mean we as in anyone)

• Puppy mills will exist as long as people keep going to pet stores to buy pups, or go thru puppy brokers on the net. I can't understand why people are willing to pay a pet store $1500 for a pup from a puppy mill when you can get one from a breeder for a lot less. Please people do not buy the cute pet store puppy. Do not buy anything from the stores that sell them. Find a reputable breeder or rescue a dog from the animal shelter.

• puppy mills unfortunately will always exist. It does not help when the petstores get their pets they sell from puppy mills. There are puppy mills shut down all the time, but unfortunately they cannot shut them down if they do not know where they are at.

• Puppy mills survive because not everyone can afford to get a purebred papered pup from a registered breeder so the mills offer "pure breds" at cheap prices. If you know of one in your area, try to check it out for yourself first, then if it seems to be a nasty cruel place contact the aspca and make a complaint. Depending on how strict the animal cruelty laws are in your area the owner will recieve a notice to comply to bring the conditions up to standard or they will lose all the dogs and if its really bad they will be banned from owning dogs for life. You can lobby local polititians to make cruelty bylaws harsher. Also support your local animal shelter as they most likely have problems with puppy mills and 'reject' pups from them. I currently foster 2 doberman bitches rescued from a mill, 1 is 4 yrs old had approx 6 litters a prolapsed uterus which had to be removed and could barely stand (we dont know if she had been outside before). She will probably stay with me for the rest of her life as she is very scared of everything but she is getting better(i can actually get the lead on her and to the park but only at night when its quiet). Just remember tho not every backyard breeder is a mill. Some people just like their pets to have 1 litter of pups and sell them unpapered because costs are prohibitive.

• the best thing to do is educate people and tell them not to buy puppies from pet stores as they come from puppy mills are always have all sorts of health problems. As long as people keep getting pets from pet stores there will always be puppy mills.

• Puppy Mills exist because people want their puppies NOW. They aren't willing to research the breed or breeder. They are also looking for a puppy that is smaller than the standard size that the AKC recognizes. Therefore the puppy mills breed and interbreed their dogs to fulfill the orders for the "teacup" or "pocket" dogs that are prone to health problems and deceases. These people go to on-line websites and pet stores and see that the puppy is "registered" not realizing it is with a poor quality registry. Many dogs that have been registered with CKC (Continental Kennel Club) or APRI (Not sure what that one means) were ones that the AKC refused to register or by breeders that are banned from the AKC.What can be done it to educate yourself and others. Make sure if you are willing to purchase a puppy, you research the breed, know the standards, and meet the breeder and the parents. Always find out if the breeder has the pedigree for both parents. (If they do, that usually means they did their research before breeding the dogs.)Finally, realize that there are many different breeders that are out there that do know what they are doing and can offer a good quality puppy. As long as you know what you are looking for and ask the right question, you can avoid the bad breeders out there. The more people go to quality breeders, the less the bad breeders will be able to operate.

• I love that site! what id number are you? I'll message you!!! You answerd my question, my ID is 342898 ^^ msg. me!As for puppy mills, all we can do is report them if we find them out. Puppy mills are so horrible! And I wonder how people can be SO cruel. Sometimes I wish they could be locked up and bred over and over so they would know how it would feel!