I think my puppy's rear leg or hip might be broken. I can't pay a vet. Do they have to treat him?

He meant to jump out onto the roof but slid off. He need's to get checked out, but I can't pay a vet.

I think my puppy's rear leg or hip might be broken. I can't pay a vet. Do they have to treat him?

He meant to jump out onto the roof but slid off. He need's to get checked out, but I can't pay a vet....
    General Dog Discussions : I think my puppy's rear leg or hip might be broken. I can't pay a vet. Do they have to treat him?...

• I think my puppy's rear leg or hip might be broken. I can't pay a vet. Do they have to treat him?

I think my puppy's rear leg or hip might be broken. I can't pay a vet. Do they have to treat him? General Dog Discussions
      He meant to jump out onto the roof but slid off. He need's to get checked out, but I can't pay a vet.

I think my puppy's rear leg or hip might be broken. I can't pay a vet. Do they have to treat him? General Dog Discussions
    • You need to get that dog to a vet. Call and ask them about a payment plan. The shovel epoles drive ways have abakesale, uhh...ask relaitves and friends for some cash and say you'll pay them back later. Your dog needs avet dude...be responsible and take him there

• no they do not have to treat them. they are running a for-profit business. Why would they be required to provide their survices for free. Why would you get a puppy if you don't have money to take care of it. Vets have to pay their staff, taxes, building space, drugs, equipment upgrade, continuing education, student loans, professional licensing fees-ect ect ect. They can't affort to do stuff for free.

• You should still take him to vet office because if it is broken, without proper treatment, it could get worse. A broken leg is a very serious thing with any kind of creature, so take him in and get him checked out. If you can't afford it, you could offer to do odd jobs around the clinic for them to work it off, or something like that.

• honestly...and i really dont mean to sound mean...but if you cant afford a vet then you shouldnt own a pet...your dog needs medical attn and it is considered animal cruelty to not seek care...call your local spca and see if they have donations to help pay...sell some things you dont need...it is your responsibility to care for the pets you own...please hurry your pet is in pain!!!

• you should take him to the vet anyway and see is they have some kind of payment option available. your dog is probably in a considerable amount of pain right now, so i would take him for sure.

• Ring around your local vets and ask about payment plans. Talk to friends and relatives and see if you can borrow some money. Disconnect your internet or sell your computer. If none of these options work then you may need to surrender your dog to a shelter or rescue who can provide the animal with the appropriate care. If you can't afford to care for a pet responsibly then the hard fact is that you should not have it.If you do not get this dog seen to asap then you will be breaking the law as well as causing pain and suffering to your pet. It is illegal to not provide treatment to a pet that requires it, you could be disallowed from owning pets, fined or imprisoned. Do the right thing, be responsible.

• If you think your dog has a broken leg and you can't pay to take him to the vet then you need to call the SPCA and surrender the dog to them so he can receive proper medical care. Again I say you shouldn't have a pet if you can't afford to take care of it. They are living creatures and deserve to be treated with the same compassion that we deserve. They can't defend themselves we have to be advocates for them. If you don't call the SPCA and let them come out and pick the dog up you deserve to be prosecuted for animal cruelty. If you had a broken leg you would do what ever it takes to get treatment. Pawn your computer, TV set, X box, video games, movies, CD's, beg from your friends and family. If you arent willing to do any of that take him to a vet and ask them if they will let you surrender the dog to them and they can treat him and find a home for him.

• Um Well you could do a payment plan because your dog is in pain and call the vet ASAP please do not have your dog put to sleep unless its nessisary because it should be classified as animal abuse!

• Well you need to figure out how to. Your dog needs to see the vet or you can be prosecuted with animal neglect. It's your responsibility to care for him and get him the treatment he needs. So figure it out. Either find the money (you don't exactly need BOTH kidneys), find someone who can help, or sign ownership of him over to an ASPCA and let them treat him. But keep in mind, if you opt for the last option, you will not get the dog back.

• I agree with a couple of the other answers. If you can't afford vet bills/care...then why do you have a dog? Why was your dog on the roof anyways? I would suggest taking your dog into your local animal shelter or vet, and tell them you can no longer afford to take care of your dog and it needs to be rehomed. Sorry if that sounds mean, but it's the truth. If you can't afford vet bills, don't get a dog or any pet.

• Call the SPCA. A broken leg that isn't attended to can result in amputation. A broken hip needs immediate medical attention. Most vet clinics won't treat you dog for free, call a local shelter and ask for help and/or advice on where you can get your dog treated. He's probably in a lot of pain and you need to be proactive in getting him treated immediately. Good Luck.