Why dont people do some research first before they breed...?

I have worked at a shelter for many years and was sickened about how many dogs and cats we had to put to sleep everyday. And if it was a pit or pit mixed.nice or not,preagnant or not,we had to put them to sleep.If you are certain about breeding your dog…

I have worked at a shelter for many years and was sickened about how many dogs and cats we had to put to sleep everyday. And if it was a pit or pit mixed.nice or not,preagnant or not,we had to put them to sleep.If you are certain about breeding your dog…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why dont people do some research first before they breed...?...

• Why dont people do some research first before they breed...?

Why dont people do some research first before they breed...? General Dog Discussions
      I have worked at a shelter for many years and was sickened about how many dogs and cats we had to put to sleep everyday. And if it was a pit or pit mixed.nice or not,preagnant or not,we had to put them to sleep.If you are certain about breeding your dog you should at least research on what can go wrong and maybe have homes allready set up. Make sure you read on what type of health problems in your breed are hereditary that you can improve. When I had kids I researched what my preagnacy would be like. There is a lot more to know than what you can learn here. And realy think of what you are doing..One good thing to do is make a contract with the people you sell dogs to that if they ever have to get rid of the dog,the dog is to be returned to you. Then you can help insure it has a home.

Why dont people do some research first before they breed...? General Dog Discussions
    • I'm not sure if this is a question or a rant. If it's a rant, then let me say that I agree with you entirely. People need to be more d@^* responsible.If it's a question, then the answer is: people aren't very d@^* responsible.

• I think too many people look at breeding as a fast way to make money, or they say, well fido is great and i want to continue his blood line, so i'm going to breed him and keep one of the puppies. i've heard people say this about their dogs that are pure hienz 57 mutts, no idea what went into them, but they sure as heck are going to breed them. it's just sad and people are greedy and selfish.

• I agree. So many people breed just to have puppies. I think when you breed it should be to better the breed. Using the best male and female. We had lab puppies. We gave one of our labs to a woman who promised she'd have a great home. We later found out she bred her at 1 yr of age and she keeps her in a cage. She's nothing more than a money maker for her. This drives me crazy!

• Adopt a feral-cat from the Animal-Shelter & save it from execution; and you'll have a buddy for life! As far as breeding pedigreed pets, many of them are, inbred & neurotic, and disappoint their owners. So, always adopt from the 'pound'. And save a life, by doing so.

• I agree, but have two comments. People should not be allowed to breed without a permit. Too many kids grow up in bad families. As for the animals, people don't realize the respnsibility. My landlord allows cats, we have two. My cat was rescued from a college dorm room. Pets were not allowed but this kid had to have a kitty. He now is two(we think) has had all his shots and runs the house. His avatar and picture are on my 360 page.

• That would be nice. I haven't found breeders that want the dogs back. If they take them back from the ones they sold them too they turn them over to shelters and rescues. I have cockshits coming. Someone thought they would be a cool "new" breed. People sicken me. Most lay on their arse and let the poor animals that should be someone's pet make money for them. God forbid they get a job the dog will make me money. I hate that.We have been working with a lab breeder for several months. She did take hers back when they only got to be about half the size of a lab but they all had akc papers. She was way over her limit and animal control is letting her work on rehoming them with us instead of confiscating and you know...... These labs are perfect examples that papers don't mean cr*p

• Amen..,and I am guilty of it..,bought a wiemereimer for my son and didnt realize they were hunting dogs.We gave him to a neighbor that hunts..,wasnt fair to keep the dog in the house like I had wanted..,so now he is happy doing what he was breed for.Thanks for the great advice and people need to educate themselves on the breed of dog to suit thier needs.

• I think people generally mean well. I don't think that enough people are aware of the epedimic or the plight of homeless/unwanted/abused animals. I think if people were more aware of these things, it would help the situation. Education geared toward responsible pet ownership, and more concerned "breeders" (using that term loosely). As for the peole who are breeding to IMPROVE the breed, placing the animals in homes that are going to be responsible financially and lovingly to the animal- Big HOORAY for you all!!!

• It would be nice if people would use their heads.Unfortuneately everyone with a pure-bred B**** in heat thinks they'll make a fortune on pups.But not only should they research BEFORE they breed they should care enough about the pups to explain to people buying them the breeds requirements on exercise and special needs.They should find out WHY someone wants the pup.Where it will be housed and whether it will get regular veterinary care BEFORE the pup leaves with a total stranger.And the same applies in my opinion to shelter dogs.All the shelters seem to care about is that the animal is altered so it can't breed.It makes no difference that too many people will ignorantly adopt an abused animal and take it home to abuse it in a different way altho they act like they've done something wonderful in adopting an unwanted,unloved animal.Breeders should mark that little box on papers to limit the registration.If pups can't be registered they won't be worth as much.And no shelter dog should ever be handed over to someone who plans to stick the dog on a chain in the yard to live out it's days in isolation and loneliness!And if people would spend a little less money on designer clothes for their kids,and get a $20.00 hair-cut instead of $120.00 one or go without getting the nails done or stay out of the bar for a week,or stop buying drugs then they could afford to get the dog neutered/spayed.But GOD FORBID anyone should do without so the dog can be taken care of.After all it is just a dog.And if they don't want to take the time to clean up after it and teach it right behavior from wrong they don't need a dog.I'd rather see them put down than spend their lives in misery.Would'nt you?

• I certainly feel your pain! Good breeders concentrate on only one or possibly two breeds and they do research the AKC breed standard. They want to better the breed and they don't over breed. Often they have a waiting list for their puppies. If a puppy is sold as pet quality, they sell the puppy without papers or with the stipulation that they puppy will be spayed or neutered. Unfortunately we have so many back yard breeders, who have no idea what they are doing and could care less if the puppies they breed meet the AKC standard, have hereditary defects, or bad temperaments. They breed for one thing and one thing only......money. These back yard breeders even have formed their own kennel club to register these poor quality puppies because they can't be registered with the AKC, calling it the CKC!They only care about money....after the puppy is sold, they don't care if the puppy lives a good life or ends up in a pound. They breed so many puppies, that they sell them to pet stores and these puppies are often so sick, they don't live to adulthood. Aside from BYB, you have your dumb@sses who are not conscientious pet owners and don't spay and neuter there dogs and allow them to run the streets and have unwanted litters. They they drop off the puppies at dog pounds or vet clinics to be euthanized. It hurts to kill an entire litter of new born puppies just because their owners are idiots. I grew up with a very gentle and loving pit bull and certain people have ruined the breed and the reputation of the breed. Out of 30 dogs in runs, I counted 21 pit bulls last week at my local animal control. All will be euthanized because of ignorance and cruelty and making these beautiful dogs fighters instead of the lovers they were meant to be!

• I have a nice little chart that I hand out to people that are thinking about breeding their dogs. It does make a point.http://www.shilohshepherds.com/puppyBreeders/breederMatrixv4.htm

• Humans started to breed dogs in order to "condition" them to help with certain jobs (shepperd, hunting, protection, etc), and as always, humans got carried away and started to breed for fun (cute little adornment dogs like pekingeses and the like). Nowadays, the breeding has become a business (like everything humans touch) but neglecting the ethical part (as always!) therefore prompting people to buy and drop pets as if they were fashion accessories. I have three beautiful dogs, all of them were abandoned and I adopt them, and despite that they all have different needs and personalities (all of us do), we get along well, and their love has been very rewarding! So, everyone, stop the senseless business of breeding and adopt a cutie whatever breed!

• *WHY*?? Because the human race is LAZY & STUPID *&* IGNORANT & GREEDY & irresponsible & Un-ethical ***&*** think the rules *DON'T* apply to THEM!!.....across the board. Across the world,in EVERY facet of life. Btw...it helps if you say "KILL" not "put to sleep" or another euphamism. They DON'T "SLEEP",they DIE!

• What astonds me is while everyone in my dog club's worry for months (sometimes years) before breeding a litter that they won't all find homes. Often it takes 6-8 months to get them all homed and I can name several club members who still years later have more pups then they meant to keep. These are frequently offspring of the top dogs around in dog sports. Yet nobody seems to worry about finding homes for the projeny of their pet.........

• ragapple, so true! But then, we don't just sell our pups to whoever turns up with money, we actually turn buyers down or discourage them. I could sell many more pups if I didn't care where they went.

• well im one of the people that go and rescue dogs from shelters and it makes me mad because there are so many people in this world that wont take the time to spay or nueter there dogs or i get a call my dog just had puppies AGAIN can you take them or every time i go to wal-mart and there they are with a sign FREE puppies well no puppy is free people it costs money to feed and vet them go to a animal cruelty site watch the gass chamber on it will rip your heart out I have had 1 day old puppies dumped in a box i saved and 5 wk old pup with a hole in his stomach the size of your fist. dogs so skinny that there is nothing but a skelton and when they look at you and you see there lifeless tail still trying to wag I feel like i cant do this any more but then when i see that same dog fat and running and thaning me every day its all worth the pain and hurt that i exsperiance everyday. alot of people are so into making a buck they dont think about the feelings and stress of the dog or cat and they should they bleed, breath, have a heart, a brain they are humane just on 4 legs