How much exercise is needed for the average Border Collie?

I have two border collies and their exercise needs are very different! They both came from the same litter (I raised both as puppies) but one is a boy and the other is a girl. So far they are both 3 years old. The boy needs only around 30 minutes of…

I have two border collies and their exercise needs are very different! They both came from the same litter (I raised both as puppies) but one is a boy and the other is a girl. So far they are both 3 years old. The boy needs only around 30 minutes of…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How much exercise is needed for the average Border Collie?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How much exercise is needed for the average Border Collie?

How much exercise is needed for the average Border Collie? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have two border collies and their exercise needs are very different! They both came from the same litter (I raised both as puppies) but one is a boy and the other is a girl. So far they are both 3 years old. The boy needs only around 30 minutes of exercise a day to be happy and calm while the girl can run for days on end before she gets tired! What's the normal amount of exercise needed for the average border collie?

How much exercise is needed for the average Border Collie? Dog Breed Discussions
    • For the normal/average Border Collie that I am used to being around its 23 out of 24 hours a day.Every BC I know is a herding/agility/obedience dog and even with all that work the dogs still could go for more. My herding instructors BC works 8+ hours a day and she never tires out.Your male is definitely not the norm.

• I get my fat beagle on a tread mell and hang a bone on it and i can sit watchin tv or on the computer and she is now in good shape but still does that 30 mins everyday. Most border collies on a skale form 1 to 5 it is 5 normaly but yours are probly layed back

• You should give them at least three walks a day for thirty to sixty minutes. You should try to sign them up for agility competitions, just to get their energy out.

• well 30 minutes is good for an average border collie. you can check with your doctor or trainer to check. another thing to do is take her to the dog park. let her run and play.

• As much exercise as you can give them. Also, give them a job to do (herding, obedience, agility, SOMETHING). They are working dogs, and have that mindset whether or not you work them, but they should always want to do a job or help you in some way.Mine is a service dog, so she is always alert and focused, which can take a lot out of her, but I take her on a run first thing in the morning, on a walk on my lunch at work, and to the park for ball on the way home from work. She also relies heavily on routine, and if you break that routine, no amount of exercise will calm her down. If you can put both pups on a schedule and keep to it fairly closely, do so. They will be much happier for it.