How can I treat my puppy's cold?

My puppy is 4 months old, female, and is part Mastiff. This is are first time with a puppy and we don't know how to treat a cold.

My puppy is 4 months old, female, and is part Mastiff. This is are first time with a puppy and we don't know how to treat a cold....
    General Dog Discussions : How can I treat my puppy's cold?...

• How can I treat my puppy's cold?

How can I treat my puppy's cold? General Dog Discussions
      My puppy is 4 months old, female, and is part Mastiff. This is are first time with a puppy and we don't know how to treat a cold.

How can I treat my puppy's cold? General Dog Discussions
    • Since dogs don't get colds like people do, this puppy needs to see the vet. Young puppies can go downhill really quickly so please take your puppy in to find out exactly what's wrong with her as soon as you can get her in.

• Puppies don't generally get colds. And because your dog is so young you definately need to take it to the vet. It has not received all of its shots at 5mo so its immune system isn't going to very good. Something that maybe considered a cold to an adult dog can be fatal to a puppy.

• It's O.K. Everybody (including pets) get colds.Hope this helps!Follow these steps:Step 1: As with humans, there are many cough suppressants available for dogs. Giving your dog a cough suppressant is a personal choice. It doesn't cure your dog's cold and often a cough can be productive and necessary to your dog getting better. Using steam to help break up congestion is typically better than giving a cough suppressant. Placing your dog in a steam filled bathroom or in a room with a cool mist vaporizer will help to keep their nasal passages moist and their cough more productive. You can also help break up congestion in the chest by cupping your hand patting your dogs back.Step 2 :Providing your dog with a multivitamin or specific vitamin therapies can help to boost your dogs immune system. Vitamins A, C an E can be beneficial when your dog is sick. These vitamins should be given either by veterinarian instruction, if they don't have pet specific instructions labeled on the bottles.Step 3:Keeping your dog isolated from other pets, will help reduce the likelihood the germs are spread. This can also help your dog to get some much needed rest.Step 4: Make sure that your dog has plenty of water. Fluids are essential to your dog recovering from its cold. Often when animals are sick they avoid fluids and end up requiring fluid therapy from a veterinarian. If your dog is not drinking enough water try adding a little broth to their water.Step 5:It is not abnormal for a dog's cold to last two, even three weeks, but it is important that you keep close watch of your pet for any signs of distress. If your pet seems non-responsive, dehydrated, is not urinating and is not drinking call your vet immediately. Additionally, if your dog's cold seems exaggerated, their behavior is alarming or you just have a gut instinct it's needed, don't hesitate to touch base with a veterinarian.

• not to concern you and i only want to inform you... but recently i lost my pup to distemper...she was only 10weeks old and had been vaccinated. take your pup to the vet. my pup had runny eyes, runny nose, and a cough... with a hack at the end (twice the vet diagnosed it as kennel cough) that's what i wanted to believe... but then the pads on her feet hardened and she started with seizures. i am only telling you so you are aware and know that i can be serious.. i hope and pray it is only a slight infection. good luck and keep us updated!