How to get my puppy to chew and eat slower.?

I have a four month old german shepard/pit and she won't chew her food. She even throws it back up sometimes. She getting skinny even tho I regularly feed her. I've tried putting food in her bowl a little at a time, but even then she wont chew. Help?

I have a four month old german shepard/pit and she won't chew her food. She even throws it back up sometimes. She getting skinny even tho I regularly feed her. I've tried putting food in her bowl a little at a time, but even then she wont chew. Help?...
    General Dog Discussions : How to get my puppy to chew and eat slower.?...

• How to get my puppy to chew and eat slower.?

How to get my puppy to chew and eat slower.? General Dog Discussions
      I have a four month old german shepard/pit and she won't chew her food. She even throws it back up sometimes. She getting skinny even tho I regularly feed her. I've tried putting food in her bowl a little at a time, but even then she wont chew. Help?

How to get my puppy to chew and eat slower.? General Dog Discussions
    • There are special bowls to help. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=brake-fast+dog+bowl&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3559609047&ref=pd_sl_1yktk4bjvx_e

• If she is eating a lot and fast plus not gaining weight you need to take her to the vet with a stool sample first off. then do not feed her full portions. If you feed 2 cups then give ehr a 1/4 cup at a time.

• Get a martha Stewart dog bowl. They look like a normal bowl but there are these 3 "spike" looking things inside it. The dog has to work its way around the spikes in rder to eat the food which causes the dog to eat slower. They sell them at petsmart.

• My guess is that you are NOT supplying anything that I would accept as being food fit for dogs, just kibble-mucks.The main part of a pooch's diet should be raw animal protein - preferably on the bone, but animal protein includes birds, eggs, fish (but NOT those needles), insects, mammals, reptiles.If you know hunters, try begging a few hares or rabbits and deliver about half a rodent each day. You CAN leave the fur on, but I recommend removing it. If your hunters go for venison, see if you can get some off-cuts, especially around the ribs and sternum where the bones are easy to chomp.If hunters are not part of your circle, find a good old fashioned butcher and order some lambs' briskets or a rack of lamb or some ox-cheek (horribly slimy, but dogs don't care).If you have NO butchers left, go to a supermarket and get some gravy beef or whatever natural MEAT (not minces, not marinaded, not pounded with tenderising mallets) is cheap. Lamb chops are very good, albeit usually a bit expensive. Beef hearts are often available. So is washed tripe.Supply about 250gms/half a pound and see how long it takes for her to learn to gnaw and chew. if you have canned salmon or tuna (o the whitefish canned for cats), drop some of that in her bowl, too.I suspect that the reason she throws up is that she has achalasia, a genetic problem that results in mega-oesophagus. If she keeps throwing up undigested food, have the vet check her for achalasia/mega-oesophagus.Learn to "feed by eye" - at present she should be fed no further apart than every 3 hours, and at least a lb per day should be meat, with milky-mix and/or thick dog biscuits added 2 or 3 times a day for extra energy and for vitamins & minerals.In the first group below, clickLinksthen these:• Feedingto get ideas about ways to feed, including a Diet Sheet for GSDs.• Diseases_&_Disordersto look upAchalasiaandPancreatic_Problems.Pancreatitis and EPI and Diabetes are all possible reasons for a dog being skinny. But don't expect a GSD-cross to have the bulging muscles of a Pit Bull Terrier or a Rottweiler - the last 2 breeds are built like heavyweight wrestlers or weight-lifters, whereas GSDs are built like hard, lean, wiry champion marathon runners.You say nothing about worming. Unless you have done a sustained series of dosings, about 2 weeks apart, your pet is sure to have roundworm, and possibly other worms too. In the group below, look in• Links => Worms.As she is already 4 months old, I HOPE you are already booked in to a proper training club's weekly classes. You should be there for about a year, starting when Pup is 18-22 weeks old and small enough to be easy to manage physically if she decides to be contrary.And learn that neither breed you typed exists.My breed was developed to HERD sheep, so its real name translates as German Shepherd Dog - 3 words in the proper noun, so 3 capital initials needed, with GSD for short.The breeds produced by crossing Bulldogs with various Terriers are Bull Terriers. Those designed to fight in pits so that "gentlemen" could bet on the result are Pit Bull Terriers, with PBT for shortâ—™ Add http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_GSD_Source to your browser's Bookmarks or Favorites so that you can easily look up such as rescue groups, feeding, vaccinations, worming, clubs, neutering, diseases, genetics.â—™ To ask about your pet, join some of the YahooGroups dedicated to various aspects of living with them. If you don't know how, click my group's link then, near the top of the page, in the field saying [Search for other groups], type the real name of your pet's breed. As she's a cross-breed, either search for the one she is most like, or do separate Searches for each breed.Each group's Home page tells you which aspects they like to discuss, and how active they are. Unlike YA, they are set up so that you can have an ongoing discussion with follow-up questions for clarification. Most allow you to include photos in your messages.Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly"In GSDs" as of 1967