Can you tell an age of a puppy chihuahua?

I just bought a chihuahua today and the owners say he is 8 wks but he is reallly tiny can u tell the age of a chihuahu and how?

I just bought a chihuahua today and the owners say he is 8 wks but he is reallly tiny can u tell the age of a chihuahu and how?...
    General Dog Discussions : Can you tell an age of a puppy chihuahua?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can you tell an age of a puppy chihuahua?

Can you tell an age of a puppy chihuahua? General Dog Discussions
      I just bought a chihuahua today and the owners say he is 8 wks but he is reallly tiny can u tell the age of a chihuahu and how?

Can you tell an age of a puppy chihuahua? General Dog Discussions
    • I pretty much can but I have been breeding chis for 20 years. he should be going to the vets for a health check and shots next week for safety your vet should be able to tell by looking at teh teeth development. i have a 2 pound chi that is full grown looks like a 10 week old pup but is a year old.If he is that samll watch for sugar drops you may want to give him karo syrup in his water about a teaspoon to a pint of water also talk to your vet about nutrical or vitamins for the pup. Also when they are that small they are more prone to get sick i wouldn't take it out of the house until after the second set of shots. When you take him to the vets keep him in a crate and don't let him on teh floor as this is where a lot of diseases are picked up.Good Luck

• Kit Kat gave you great advice. About what I would have said, so I just want to reiterate it. You may just have a really tiny chi, or the breeder may have lied to you about the age to make you think it is very small for its age because that is what so many people are looking for. The nutrical is a must for a tiny chi puppy. Their sugar can drop so quick. Karp syrup can do in a pinch but the nutrical has loads of vitamins and minerals and can stimulate the appetite if the pup goes off its feed. Take it to the vet and have it checked over. The vet can pretty well tell you the age. If the breeder did not give its first shots, that is usually a sign that the breeder is not reputable. Leave food out for the pup at all times also and that will help ward off hypoglycemic(low blood sugar) attacks. Enjoy that baby. Oh and make sure to watch where you step, where you sit and lay down because a chihuahua is always underfoot or hiding under covers or pillows. A chihuahua is the best dog around.