Do you need to do any paperwork to adopt a puppy from a friend?

So in about a month a friend of a friend's dog will give birth. I'm planning on adopting one of them, but I want to know if you have to do any paperwork for it. Also, if you could give any tips about what I should do to take care of it! Here are some…

So in about a month a friend of a friend's dog will give birth. I'm planning on adopting one of them, but I want to know if you have to do any paperwork for it. Also, if you could give any tips about what I should do to take care of it! Here are some…...
    General Dog Discussions : Do you need to do any paperwork to adopt a puppy from a friend?...

• Do you need to do any paperwork to adopt a puppy from a friend?

Do you need to do any paperwork to adopt a puppy from a friend? General Dog Discussions
      So in about a month a friend of a friend's dog will give birth. I'm planning on adopting one of them, but I want to know if you have to do any paperwork for it. Also, if you could give any tips about what I should do to take care of it! Here are some things you might want to know. -The puppy will be a Pug-I live in Hawaii (Hot Weather!) but nowadays it's 10x more cooler-First time ownerPlease tell me what kind of food, how much exercise, and what type of toys pugs like the best. Also anything else that will be helpful. Thank you!

Do you need to do any paperwork to adopt a puppy from a friend? General Dog Discussions
    • Google "pug puppy". BUY A PUPPY TRAINING BOOK FROM A STORE! These little dogs are a lot of work! You need to learn how to housetrain a dog, how to crate train a puppy (seriously, it is a lifesaver) and how to discipline a puppy in a way that makes them understand (as in, you can't put a puppy in "time-out" like you can with a child, etc)Then, call around to vets in your area and see if any of them are accepting new patients. Puppies need vaccinations (like children need vaccinations) and they need to have a doctor. The day you bring home your new puppy should be the day s/he gets their first checkup at the vet. Also, your vet will be able to let you know what brand of food is the most reccomended, how much to feed and what to expect. (always a name brand, never an obscure or store brand. www.dogfoodadvisor.com is a great place to find out what dog food is rated highly and what ingredients are good and bad). Once you bring your dog to the vet for the first time it will be all the paperwork you need to establish ownership of your new dog. Check your local laws because you may need to register your dog with the town as well (dog license)How old will the puppy be when you are able to take it home? Puppies should NEVER be away from their mother before they are AT LEAST 8 weeks old, preferably 12 weeks old. Pugs typically are not the most athletic so two-three short-medium walks a day should be enough exercise for them, though puppies are higher-energy and need much more playtime than adult dogs. DEFINITELY plan on spaying or neutering your dog at around 4-5 months of age. PLEASE do not breed your dog, there are so many unwanted puppies dying in shelters because of irresponsible owners who do not fix their dogs and then let them have puppies. REMEMBER: a puppy is not a housecat. You cannot leave it alone unsupervised, ever (it can and will chew/pee/poop on EVERYTHING -- i left my puppy alone for 10 minutes and it peed on my roommates bed and chewed off a piece of the molding in my house). They need to be let out every 2 hours for them to learn how to be housetrained. Even as an adult, a small dog like a pug will not be able to hold their pee and poo in for longer than 5-6 hours so plan on being home or having someone to let your dog out during the day if you plan on working. DO:google 'crate training'buy a puppy book (or several)call a vet and set up an appointment and ASK QUESTIONS!!!!prepare your home for a puppy (its like child proofing a house...anything that can get chewed on will get chewed on, make sure electric cords and sharp scary things are out of reach)plan on being home A LOT because a puppy is like a toddler