What should I do to my dog? Should I give her some medication or something?

My dog just gave birth 3 days ago she had 5 puppies, 2 died during the birth and the third one just died this morning because he had seizures and my vet said that it is normal. Now the mother is really depressed and she is really overprotecting those…

My dog just gave birth 3 days ago she had 5 puppies, 2 died during the birth and the third one just died this morning because he had seizures and my vet said that it is normal. Now the mother is really depressed and she is really overprotecting those…...
    General Dog Discussions : What should I do to my dog? Should I give her some medication or something?...

• What should I do to my dog? Should I give her some medication or something?

What should I do to my dog? Should I give her some medication or something? General Dog Discussions
      My dog just gave birth 3 days ago she had 5 puppies, 2 died during the birth and the third one just died this morning because he had seizures and my vet said that it is normal. Now the mother is really depressed and she is really overprotecting those puppies and she is licking them all the time sometimes she doesn't even let them eat and they get very little sleep.

What should I do to my dog? Should I give her some medication or something? General Dog Discussions
    • Alright, read this very carefully. Get a new vet.Your dog gave birth to five puppies, three of which died due to complication. The mother having seizures IS NOT NORMAL and your dog could be at serious risk. Take her to A NEW VET immediately if you value the safety of this dog. If she isn't letting them eat then they will eventually starve to death, and her not getting sleep is a sign of depression. I repeat. TAKE YOUR DOG TO A NEW VET IMMEDIATELY. If you want the last two puppies to live, then do it now.Good luck, and I hope everything works out.

• Never give your mama dog or puppies any medication that has not been prescribed/recommended by your vet. If you do it could very well be fatal for them.The babies are only 3 days old. At this stage in their lives, all they do is eat and poop & pee and sleep. It’s not easy giving birth and not easy for a puppy to be born. They are quite exhausted after the birthing. What you are seeing is quite normal.The mama is not being overprotective. She is being a mama and doing exactly as she is supposed to do. They are nursing(drinking milk) and mama is constantly licking them which is what she has to do for her puppies. By licking them frequently, she is stimulating their little bodies so they have good blood circulation, stimulating their lungs, and stimulating their tummies and their bums. She has to lick their bottoms constantly (kittens, baby rabbits, squirrels, etc. all do the same with their young). By licking their bums she is stimulating the puppies to pee and poop. They are too little now and cannot pee or poop yet on their own without mama constantly stimulating them by her licking them to do so. So, everything mama is doing is perfectly normal and has to be done to have healthy happy puppies. She is doing everything right. Of course when she is constantly licking them like this she seems to be tossing them around roughly, but she knows exactly what she is doing and she is not hurting them. The wee puppies eyes are closed for the first few days after they are born. They flop around as you see them doing, especially when mama is licking them, because they are very weak, their muscles have no strength in them yet and they have very little control of their body and mama doing all this licking keeps them clean and is absolutely required for mama to do so they can get strong, grow, and live to be lovely strong healthy happy puppies.So, please leave her alone other than to make sure her bedding is changed regularly to be kept clean, they are all in a warm place away from a cold draft, and that you give her good food and water is there for her at all times. You can stroke her head gently while she is nursing her puppies. She'd like that.Good luck. I do hope the other puppies survive for their mama’s sake. She is being a wonderful caring, nurturing momma to her little puppies, and mama is doing everything right!!! Enjoy watching this miracle of birth grow healthy and strong right in front of you! Take good care. God Bless you, mama and her wee precious puppies. xxxxx

• I have trouble believing a vet would say that losing over 1/2 the litter is "normal" and/or a puppy having seizures is "normal"either you are not telling the truth or you desperately need a different vetwe raised field champion beagles when I was little..... it was rare to lose even 1 pup & beagles tend to have large litters (raged from 4-12 puppies... average was @ 8)did your dog have proper pre-natal care? is the dog proper age for breeding (to young or to old are both bad)? have you had any education (mentor, vet or otherwise) on the care of your dog prior to breeding? was she at perfect health (vet certified) before being bred?NO... do not give momma dog any medication unless your vet specifically prescribes itlicking pups is normal... a certain level of "over-protection" is also normal