My female Silky Terrier is exhibiting very strange behavior 3 days after being spayed, is this normal?

She has turned two of her toys into babies. She carries them everywhere and she even tries to make them nurse. She walks around whining while she carries them. She has never had puppies. Why has she decided that she is a mother?

My female Silky Terrier is exhibiting very strange behavior 3 days after being spayed, is this normal?

She has turned two of her toys into babies. She carries them everywhere and she even tries to make them nurse. She walks around whining while she carries them. She has never had puppies. Why has she decided that she is a mother?...
    General Dog Discussions : My female Silky Terrier is exhibiting very strange behavior 3 days after being spayed, is this normal?...

• My female Silky Terrier is exhibiting very strange behavior 3 days after being spayed, is this normal?

My female Silky Terrier is exhibiting very strange behavior 3 days after being spayed, is this normal? General Dog Discussions
      She has turned two of her toys into babies. She carries them everywhere and she even tries to make them nurse. She walks around whining while she carries them. She has never had puppies. Why has she decided that she is a mother?

My female Silky Terrier is exhibiting very strange behavior 3 days after being spayed, is this normal? General Dog Discussions
    • She is having what is loosely termed as a "false pregnancy" although "false motherhood" might be a better term in your dog's case. It is caused by hormonal imbalance. Please call your vet so that he or she can set things right. Dogs with hormonal imbalance may sometimes attack persons who come too close to their "babies" so be careful and warn others. Your vet can give her a shot and clear it right up.

• this is normal, what would you do if YOU were spayed it would be quite awkward. dog have very good instincts and she knows she is now missing something! she'll get over it in TOPS 1-2 weeks, if she does not call your vet to see if shes having a phycotic problems

• actually thats quite common after spaying I think,I have seen it a few times on here,her hormones are a little out of whack,give her a while,she will most likely go back to normal,if not take the toys away for a few weeks.thank you for having her spayed and assuring she wont contribute to the over population problem!

• my chihuahua did the same thing but she had 2 litters before...she may be depressed,it will pass but like someone else said she get very protected over 'new babies'so be careful,scooter got over it in about 3 days good luck

• Oh, poor thing. Yes she will stop doing it, but she's just going through a big change, especially if she has already been through a heat. It's because the estrogen is changing in her body and she's just reacting to it. If she has been spayed before her heat, that is different, but it still will pass. And definately keep comforting her and she'll be fine.