Why is my dog pooping out blood?

My dog is pooping out blood the strange thing is he just went to the vet yesterday got all his tests and a few shots and they said everything is fine with him. It all started last night when he had diarrhea at first it was just the runs but now blood is…

My dog is pooping out blood the strange thing is he just went to the vet yesterday got all his tests and a few shots and they said everything is fine with him. It all started last night when he had diarrhea at first it was just the runs but now blood is…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why is my dog pooping out blood?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why is my dog pooping out blood?

Why is my dog pooping out blood? General Dog Discussions
      My dog is pooping out blood the strange thing is he just went to the vet yesterday got all his tests and a few shots and they said everything is fine with him. It all started last night when he had diarrhea at first it was just the runs but now blood is coming out with it.Could it be the shots that he got? Or is it something worse.My mom wants to wait to take him to the vet in the morning what should we do?

Why is my dog pooping out blood? General Dog Discussions
    • Definitely take him to the vet. Could be some kind of disease. Are there any other symtoms like lethargic, not drinking/eating, dehydrated? To tell if your dog is dehydrated, pinch the skin above his shoulder blades and if it doesn't go down very fast then he's dehydrated. Make sure he drinks lots of fluids and he should be okay until you can take him to the vet.

• If your dog is pooping blood, he can't wait until tomorrow to see a vet. He needs a vet NOW! Emergency Vets are open 24 hours. You can find one in the Yellow Pages under Veterinarians. Blood is never a good sign. Please take him in.

• Even if there are no other symptoms, you definitely need to take him to the vet. Especially if he is still a puppy. Mine got a Giardia worm when she was 7 months old, and the only symptom she showed was bloody diarrhea. If it is Giardia, the vet will tell you all about it, but you definitely need to clean up anywhere your dog has pooped, and not let him go ANYWHERE that other dogs have been for a while; Giardia can live in the grass for up to 6 months, and young dogs are very susceptible to them; older dogs can carry it, but not really be affected because they have had a chance to build immunity. My vet just gave me some medicine to give her for a few days, and told me to feed her something bland like chicken and rice, and to make sure she drank plenty of water.

• Two things come to mind when ever I hear poop and blood. It's either parvo or giardia.You didn't mention the dogs age but I'm guessing it is a puppy since you took him to the vet for a check and tests and shots? If it is a puppy it is more likely that it is parvo than giardia.Parvo when caught early and treated is survivable and treatment consists of IV fluids mainly and prevention and treatment of secondary infections. Parvo attacks the lining of the stomach and bowels producing profuse bloody diarrhea which has the worst smell ever! If it is parvo do not have any other dogs around that are unvaccinated, older or puppies anywhere this pup has been. Anything you can clean with bleach do so. Also know that parvo can live in the soil for up to a year! Parvo has a two week incubation period before symptoms appear and then I think, can't remember for sure 4-6 weeks for the virus to be completely shed (ask vet for sure) the vet will do a simple "snap" test to determine if it is parvo.Now giarda is just as bad as parvo nastiness wise but isn't as common. It is normally contracted by drinking foul stagnant water. The difference between parvos bloody diarrhea and giardias is that giarda will have a mucus to it . It will also smell horrible! Different than parvo, but still horrible. The vet may or may not have a snap test for giardia, if they do not it may be a fecal exam.Giardia is serious but easily treated if with antibiotics and fluids if caught early. Both are contagious, so keep all other pets away until you get to the vet (asap) and find out what you are dealing with. Clean any area with bleach and quarantine your puppy in a room or bathroom. This will sound odd but its best not to let you pup on the lawn to go potty as you can't clean that with bleach!.Go get some unflavored pedialyte for him to replenish electrolytes from the diarrhea and get him to the vet.Best of luck!

• Well your mom is the adult . You should accept your mom decision emergency vets cost way too much unless you have insurance and even then you still have to pay it upfront and wait months for reimbursement . Listen yes its bad that you pup is having this problem and it is serious .Make sure the dog is drinking water if it isn't get a syringe and force water into the dog .Is the dog laying around or is it active .That matters if it still wants to play it'll be alright till morning or even Monday since I know of no vet open on sundays

• In addition to what others have said, it is possible he has some internal bleeding. If he ate a bone (or pretty much anything he's not supposed to eat), it could have caused damage to his digestive tract. Be sure to ask the vet about that possibility.