how much would a labrador retriever puppy cost from a pet store?

...A puppy who's got all his shots, and his parents didn't have any health problems.the pet store btw is PJ'S pets, and i've visted there website, and they have a breeder who sends them the pups, so, no mills here

...A puppy who's got all his shots, and his parents didn't have any health problems.the pet store btw is PJ'S pets, and i've visted there website, and they have a breeder who sends them the pups, so, no mills here...
    General Dog Discussions : how much would a labrador retriever puppy cost from a pet store?...

• how much would a labrador retriever puppy cost from a pet store?

how much would a labrador retriever puppy cost from a pet store? General Dog Discussions
      ...A puppy who's got all his shots, and his parents didn't have any health problems.the pet store btw is PJ'S pets, and i've visted there website, and they have a breeder who sends them the pups, so, no mills here

how much would a labrador retriever puppy cost from a pet store? General Dog Discussions
    • Oh yes, puppy mills are the HEALTHIEST places ever!EDIT: Let me guess...a USDA "breeder" who sends them by the truckload? I'm telling you it's a puppy farm. No reputable breeder would send their dogs over to sit behind glass windows all day. Reputable breeders only have one or two litters each year, too. And here's something ironic: you can get a puppy from a reputable breeder with dogs that have good results on health clearances (genetic testing that a mill would never conduct, show/working titles, AKC full registry, etc.

• Like 300-800 depending on where you go. I would also ecourage you to adopt. First of all purebred dogs tend to have significantly more health problems than cross bred dogs or mutts and secondly, so many pet stores get their puppies from mills. you can never be certain--if you feel strongly about a pure bred dog get one from a reputable breeder where you can actually meet the puppies parents. That is the ONLY way to be assured that you are buying quality, from quality.

• Pet stores get their puppies from puppy mills or BYBers - neither of which do genetic screening or health testing. There is no proof or guarantee that mom/dad didn't have genetic illnesses or conditions, and most mills are horrific places filled to the brim with ill and mistreated animals.You will NOT find a quality healthy puppy at a pet store. PERIOD. End of story.http://www.prisonersofgreed.org/If you want a HEALTHY puppy from proven parents that have had all health screenings done then you'll want to find a reputable breeder - not a pet store or some scum breeder from the newspaper. Reputably bred puppies cost around $1,000.

• Wow... A "responsible" person who wants to buy from a pet store. This is a puppy before it goes to a pet store: http://blog.k9cuisine.com/dog-rescue-shelters/files/2010/05/puppy-mill.jpgWouldn't you like to vacation there someday?ADD: "the pet store btw is PJ'S pets, and i've visted there website, and they have a breeder who sends them the pups, so, no mills here"Pet stores always lie where their puppies come from. Shame on you for not researching!

• Buying any puppy from a pet store is never a good idea. Most pet stores get their pups fro PUPPY MILLS, who are in the breeding business only for the money they can get from their pups. One only needs to watch the news to horrific conditions these animals come from, and the horrible way the breeding dogs are kept in.If you are wanting a puppy of any particular breed, get it from a reputable breeder in your own area. Make sure they have both parents on site and their pedigree as well Be sure you have the veterinarian's report of proof there is not any hip dysplasia in either parent, and that they as well as the puppies have a clean bill of health. You never wan to buy any puppy which is allowed to leave it's mother before three to four months, either. Puppies that are left with their mother for at least this amount of time are more secure, easier to house break, and are all around better mentally, socially, and healthier, as well. Responsible breeders will allow you to visit your chosen pup to get acquainted and to bond, but will not allow you to take the pup until it is fully ready to leave it's mother. Any responsible breeder will not have dozens of pups for sale, either, as they are very careful not to overbreed their bitches, for the sake of their dogs, as well as the pups, the prospective new owners, and the fact that there are way too many dogs (even pure-bred dogs) being destroyed everyday in the United States, as well as other countries, already.It would be best of you checked in your area for Labrador Rescuers, or other pet rescue organizations to get a pet. All pet dogs and cats should be spayed or neutered before they are six months of age, too. After all, if you are just wanting a pet, why would you even consider allowing your dog or bitch to reproduce. Good, responsible breeders generally won't sell their pups to the general public unless the pup is not of show quality. They keep all the best ones, for selling to other quality breeders who are interested in keeping the breed at it's very best, and improving the breed. Pet quality pups should not be bred, as that will allow less than perfect dogs to increase, and allow genetic problems to continue on down the line.Besides, intact animals will eventually contract Cancer of their reproductive organs, and it will shorten their lives, as well. Intact dogs also tend to have more aggressive personalities, due to their hormones, and the drive to breed, and compete with other intact dogs.

• Yes...yes they do. Read this:http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/puppy_mills/facts/pet_store_doublespeak.htmlA pet store will tell you ANYTHING in order to get you to buy a puppy. NO responsible breeder will sell to a pet store who will in turn sell to the first person with cash in hand. Dogs from a petstore are MUCH more likely to be sick, have genetic defects, temperament issues, etc. and if you're concerned about the cost of purchasing the puppy, your eyes will bug out when you see the vet bills your new pet store puppy will cost you. There are only a few places to turn from there...the most used route when people can't afford the vet bills is the shelter. Then you have another lab in a shelter. Labs and lab x's are THE MOST euthanized breed in shelters across the country. You obviously love the breed, and I'm sure you don't want to contribute to that. Adopt a lab puppy from a shelter, save a life....don't condemn another to the fate of so many others.ADD: read this:PJ'S PET CENTRE--MASSACHUSETTS--SAUGUS 2007: In February of 2006 I bought an adorable Pomeranian from PJ's Pet Centre in Saugus MA. I named her Coqueta, which means flirty in Spanish. As soon as I saw her I fell in love with her. I had saved money for about a month, at the time I just had a babysitting job, and managed to save $1000. I had just enough for Coqueta. I was so excited. I have always wanted a puppy, I cried because I was so happy. Later on that night at around 2 AM I was crying for a different reason. Coqueta was hacking up phlegm every 2 minutes. I took her to the emergency room and it turned out she had a bad case of kennel cough. She was prescribed a common antibiotic which was covered by PJ's Pet Centre. That same day just her cough lessened but she was still wheezing, and when she did cough she coughed up a lot of phlegm. She wasn't eating either. So by the end of the day she was still not eating and now had diarrhea. I called the doctor that treated her and she told me that her stomach was probably having a bad reaction to the medicine and to not give it to her any more and give Children's Robitussin and the children dose. She told me to call her back if she got lethargic and/or started throwing up and did not eat. Her cough got worse again. Because she was constantly coughing I slept with her in the living room because I share a room with my sister and I did not want to her to wake up every time Coqueta coughed. That night I managed to fall asleep and woke up to Coqueta whining and crying and going crazy in her cage. I was confused as to what was happening and then all of sudden she went diarrhea all over her bed. Her stomach must have hurt so bad. I began to cry because I was so scared and worried. After I cleaned her up I got her another bed I had bought her and she, somewhat, fell asleep. I fell asleep too. About an hour later I woke because I heard a strange noise. That strange noise was Coqueta throwing up. I cried so much because I knew she was getting so much worse and I was not making her better. I cleaned her up again and let her rest in her bed. At 8 am that day I took her to the hospital again and the doctor told me that her kennel cough had become pneumonia and since she was not eating she would need fluids through an IV and a stay in the hospital. All the costs estimated to $800-$1000. Again I am only 20 and at the time I nothing but a babysitting job (due to school). I did not have this kind of money. I had already spoken with the manager at PJ's several times and by this point I was so mad that a company could do this to someone. When I first met Coqueta she had some dried green mucus on her nose and I asked the employee if that was normal or if she was sick and she told me, "Oh, no, she's fine; that's okay." I believed her. They told me that if I brought her back that their vet would nurse her back to health and that when she was better she would be sold again and if I wanted to buy her again I could. It broke my heart like you can't imagine, she was my dream come true and so wrongfully she was taken away from me. For years I was that girl would go to pet stores and play and look at the puppies knowing that one day, maybe not that day, I would have one. I took her back but she never made her way back to me. I called every day and they would just tell me that she was sick. Until one I called and they told me she was too sick so we sent her back to her breeder. I knew she was dead and I cried more than I have ever cried. A month later I decided that maybe I just had a bad experience so I went to Debby's Pet Land in Saugus and I bought Lulu, a mini dachshund. She was adorable. Again that same day she started doing this thing where she would shake her head and drool a little. At first I just thought it was a habit she had, but quickly I came to realize it was not. It got worse. So I went through the whole process again. Two weeks later I found out that Lulu had epilepsy. They were actually pretty good with the medical bills, they covered it all. They also told me I could return her and then I could adopt her because she was not well. They assured me that the costs of her condition would not be overwhelming or even more than $50 a month. So I agreed. I again quickly came to realize this was not true because a few day later her symptoms returned and with a vengeance. I took her back to the hospital and this time the costs to keep her in the hospital were estimated from $1000-$3000. The vet which had been taking care of her had really fallen for Lulu so she kept her. Another heartbreak. I now have Lupi. She's a Maltese. I adopted her from a shelter and she is so wonderful but there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about Coqueta and Lulu. Especially Coqueta--my poor little puppy died wrongfully and these people are heartless and cruel to do that to such an innocent creature. -Tracy Morales **************************Also from PJ's Pet Centre: Posted on Craigslist in 2006: I bought a German Shepherd from PJ's Pet Center on RT 1 in August a year ago. The day we took him home we noticed something was wrong. He wasn't playing, wouldn't walk up the stairs or even walk around the block. The next day, Monday, we took him to our vet, NOT the vet PJ's said to take him to. She said he had worms, and we started treating him for that. Tuesday he just got worse, he wouldn't even get up. When he did he would have bloody diarrhea and was shaky. We took him back to our vet Wednesday. She did every test she could, and we found out he had parvo. PJ's Pet Center offered to give us the $900.00 back, which was a "sale" price, "treat" him and call with in a week so we could come back and get him. They never called. I believe the puppy was either put down or died. I just recently found out parvo would be spread throughout out the whole pet store. I WILL NEVER BUY A PUPPY AGAIN FROM A PET STORE!

• I watched the following breeder video on PJ's Pets website, http://www.pjspet.com/_pjs/petsFirst.php?page=breeders, and sure enough, the breeder said that she sends the dogs away from their litters at 6 weeks, which is a red flag. You're not supposed to take a puppy away from its litter and its mother before 8 weeks.Also, she never mentions health testing, so I highly doubt any of their breeders do that.For what it's worth, I just bought a yellow lab puppy two weeks ago from a breeder that does OFA and CERF testing on the parents, and the father was CH-titled. It cost me $1,000 for the dog. Another added bonus of going through this breeder is that I can get on the phone and ask my breeder any question for the next 10-15 years about labs. So far, she has been extremely thorough and quick in getting back to me regarding my questions.

• And how do you know his parents were healthy? Did you see the OFA and other health clearances? Did you receive vet paperwork on them?Good breeders do not use pet shops to sell their pups. PERIOD. I really could care less what their site says.Want a lab? Then either go through a GOOD breeder http://www.thelabradorclub.com/subpages/find_breeder.php Or go through a lab rescue http://www.thelabradorclub.com/subpages/searchrescue.php

• PLease avoipd pet stores. A responsible breeder will not sell through a pet store. Labs have ALOT of genetic health issues. : hip and elbow dysplasia, Progressive Retinal Atrophy, dwarfism, centroneuclear myopathy (CNM), exercise induced collapse (EIC), megaesophagus, and hypothyroidism.You need to learn these and understand them and learn about contracts that protect you about this. To answer your question, the long term costs of a pet store lab is could be close to 11,000$ if he lives to 5 years old. Breeding/Breeder Information This page is dedicated to the memory of Bbiach Velvet Beauty CD whose life would have been made so much better if only she had been bred by a breeder who cared about the genetic health of his/her dogs. If you are considering breeding or purchasing your dog (do please consider rescuing a dog that already needs a good home), please throughly read ALL the links. If you do not have time to do that much, you do not have time for dogs. If you want a purebred puppy, please do right by him or her, yourself, and your family, choose a good dog from a good breeder. Please also see Choosing A Doghttp://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.phpBuying a labhttp://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding.html#buying