What is the best way to housebreak and crate train a pug pupppy?

About to get a pug puppy and hear crate training is the way to go. Any suggestions?

About to get a pug puppy and hear crate training is the way to go. Any suggestions?...
    General Dog Discussions : What is the best way to housebreak and crate train a pug pupppy?...

• What is the best way to housebreak and crate train a pug pupppy?

What is the best way to housebreak and crate train a pug pupppy? General Dog Discussions
      About to get a pug puppy and hear crate training is the way to go. Any suggestions?

What is the best way to housebreak and crate train a pug pupppy? General Dog Discussions
    • I think that crate training is the way to go for any dog. It has been a life saver (literally) for my dog. We got the largest kennel we could find (I have an average mutt) and made it his "den" the first day. He's still very mouthy and chewy so he spends the day in it. He knows what to do and goes there in the morning after potty, when he gets in trouble, or when he just needs a break from the cats. Try to spend as much time as you can at home at first so you can learn his signals and take him outside as much as possible. I also recommend the for Dummies book. Good place to start. Please train your pug; I get sad when people don't bother to train their "little" dogs; they can be more out of control than my 65 lb mutt. Eventually they'll have something bad happen.Best of luck to you and your new pug!

• House-breaking a puppy is a tedious job, but if you stick with it and be consistent for about a month, it'll be worth it since your puppy will grow into a dog who will hopefully be your best friend for about 10 to 15 years. So all things considered, a month is nothing in the scheme of things. Important rules to live by:1. Until she's fully housebroken, you should only take her outside (other than a car trip to vet, groomer, etc.) to relive herself in order for her to quickly learn that "outside" means one thing for her right now and that is to relieve herself. If you play with her, e.g. tossing a ball, she won't learn that distinction. She'll tell you she wants to go out but to play -- and you'll stand there waiting for her to "go" while she'll be waiting for you to play with her. So, OUT, RELIEVE, and back in the house. If she goes outside successfully, praise her softly while she's going . Then, when back inside, reward her with a doggy biscuit saying "good girl for going outside." Be firm, tho. No success, no biscuit. She'll catch on fast.2. Always take your puppy out (to the same spot she's gone successfully before) IMMEDIATELY AFTER: a) Getting out of cage b) Eating c) Waking up from a napIn between, if you let her run loose in the house, you must watch her like hawk and the first sign of her needing to go, you must sweep her up and say "OUTSIDE". Some people try keeping their puppy on a leash during downtime so they can keep a closer eye on the puppy. I've always thought this might confuse the dog, since a leash is part of the "going outside" process. Otherwise, do keep her in the cage/crate but for a reasonable amount of time since she's little. Then, each day increase the cage time by 15 minutes or so and her bladder will adjust.I'm assuming you know the size of the crate rule: just enough room for her to stand up without bending her neck ~ and ~ enough room for her to turn around to lie down. Dogs will usually never go where they sleep. So if you have a dog that will grow quickly and you can't afford to keep buying the next size crate, buy the size you will ultimately need and in the meantime go to the supermarket and get a cardboard box to insert in the back of the crate leaving the room criteria noted above. As she grows, you can keep on getting smaller boxes.Last, if you are successful in her learning to tell you she's gotta' go outside, you must honor her request right away even if you're watching a great movie, talking on the phone, eating, sleeping, or in the middle of a snowstorm - TRUST, CONSISTENCY, and PRAISE (don't forget the doggy biscuits!) are KEY. Good luck !!