How is it that dog breeders think they can ask so much money for a mixed breed , like a golden doodle?

I would like to have one for a pet, but the breeders are asking $1600 - over $3000 That is an absolutely outrageous price for a dog.

How is it that dog breeders think they can ask so much money for a mixed breed , like a golden doodle?

I would like to have one for a pet, but the breeders are asking $1600 - over $3000 That is an absolutely outrageous price for a dog....
    General Dog Discussions : How is it that dog breeders think they can ask so much money for a mixed breed , like a golden doodle?...

• How is it that dog breeders think they can ask so much money for a mixed breed , like a golden doodle?

How is it that dog breeders think they can ask so much money for a mixed breed , like a golden doodle? General Dog Discussions
      I would like to have one for a pet, but the breeders are asking $1600 - over $3000 That is an absolutely outrageous price for a dog.

How is it that dog breeders think they can ask so much money for a mixed breed , like a golden doodle? General Dog Discussions
    • They charge it b/c ppl will pay for it. There are no standards to how much they can charge.You can however check local shelters or go onto a site called petfinder.com and see if you can find the right dog for you

• because people are dumb enough to pay that price for a mutt just because it has a stupid name attatched.. they think they are getting some "new" breed that will be healthy, hypoallergenic and non sheddingYou can find a golden retriever/ poodle mix thru shelter or rescue www.petfinder.com

• Well slap the word "designer" in front of anything and people are going to pay whatever price is asked.They think these "designer dogs" are as good as purebred dogs and ask crazy prices for them, when in fact they are nothing more than a crossbreed.I wouldn't waste my time with BYB's who charge prices like this (or any for that matter) and adopt one from a shelter!

• paying for a mutt is silly. yes even an intention mix of breeds is still a mutt no matter what "desinger" name they put on it. if you want a mixed breed go to the shelter. they make great pets!!

• Supply and demand.As long as there are people like you who WANT that mutt, the unscrupulous "breeders" (gak!) will continue to produce it ... and the price will be as high as anyone is willing to pay.I could walk into my county dog pound any day of the week and come out with a Golden-mix or Poodle-mix for under $30 ... so could you. I highly recommend it.

• Breeders can ask such outrages prices because they stick a name likeDesigner Dogs on mixed breeds and people are dumb enough to pay it. They can call them anything they like but they are still mutts no matter how cute they look....Check animal pounds and rescue organizations you may find a dog you like and save a dogs life and money at the same time.

• You want one because they are popular now- as in a fad. Everyone wants one= price goes up.Honestly, you're buying a mutt....go to the shelter- you can get the same thing for $30 and save a life. No decent breeder will deliberately breed a crossbred dog.

• They think they can ask that much, because they can. Look into a breed rescue group and see about adopting a rescued Doodle... Another consideration, people generally outlive their pets. Settle on another breed or mix, adopt one from a shelter or rescue group, and maybe later on in life, you will be able to afford a Golden Doodle.

• That's mad! I think they do that because mix breeds are pretty unique. Usually, it is hard to get them because they are either in shelters or in peoples homes. That is crazy though! My puppy was only $600 dollars and he was like 3 months old. He is a good dog too, nothing is wrong with him.

• They don't THINK they can ask it...they KNOW they can. As long as people are gullible enough to think there's anything special about a particular mix, other than a cute name, they will be selling them at whatever the dimwits will pay.There are FREE mixes in the newspaper....NO mix has any monetary value. So...that brings us to...what's wrong with YOU? Why not get a free mix? Are you concerned about having a cute, bogus name to call it?

• Because there are people stupid enough to pay that much money for a mutt. At the shelter, we frequently get the doodles in so I would check petfinder if I were you. People do NO research and just buy them because they are "hypoallergenic". Then they find out when they get them home that they are smart, high energy breeds that get destructive if they aren't exercised enough both mentally and physically or they have too much of the golden or lab gene in them so they aren't very hypoallergenic after all. Don't add to the problem paying that much for a mutt. You'll only justify their prices.

• But you want one.The law of supply and demand. Demand is up. Puppies can only be born so fast. If the breeder wasn't getting his price it would go down.I have two fabulous dogs I got from the Humane Society. We thought they may be mixed bred, but it looks like both may be pure breed dogs. So why get a pricey mix breed, when inexpensive mixed and pure breeds are cheap and available? Not me.

• I actually bought one for my brother for $300 (no, NOT a typo). Both parents were AKC/CKC certified and had all the required genetic testing for hip problems, eye issues, etc. The issue is that celebrities like, oh... the Obamas and Perez Hilton have endorsed the breed, and people are trying to capitalize on it. While there is a theory on something called "hybrid vigor," basically that mixed breeds are healthier because of genetic diversity, it does not only apply to "designer" dogs. Any old mutt will have the same thing. As for my family, we got our Golden Doodle because of the non-shedding thing and the affinity the breed has for water.

• When you breed a litter of pure bred dogs responsibly, people usually don't make a profit, the breeder just tries to break even, and the puppies can cost from $1600-$3000. If you breed a goldendoodle in a responsible way (as in frequent vet visits, possible c-section, etc.) it will cost the same amount of money to produce a litter, even if they are not pure bred. A pure bred litter and a mixed bred litter will cost the same amount of money if they are both raised in the same way. The goldendoodle breed might still only be breaking even on the litters.

• Because gullible people are willing to pay it. Keep an eye out at your local shelters, contact both poodle and Goldern rescues and let them know what you are looking for, and chances are it won't take that long for you to find one in rescue.