What is the chance my dog's pregnancy ultrasound is wrong or too soon?

Hi. After doing tons of research, we decided to breed our miniature schnauzer. We had both her and the sire vet checked first to make sure that they were healthy and okay to try mating. They locked twice on the 3rd and 4th of July. They were very…

Hi. After doing tons of research, we decided to breed our miniature schnauzer. We had both her and the sire vet checked first to make sure that they were healthy and okay to try mating. They locked twice on the 3rd and 4th of July. They were very…...
    General Dog Discussions : What is the chance my dog's pregnancy ultrasound is wrong or too soon?...

• What is the chance my dog's pregnancy ultrasound is wrong or too soon?

What is the chance my dog's pregnancy ultrasound is wrong or too soon? General Dog Discussions
      Hi. After doing tons of research, we decided to breed our miniature schnauzer. We had both her and the sire vet checked first to make sure that they were healthy and okay to try mating. They locked twice on the 3rd and 4th of July. They were very receptive to each other and stayed locked for about 15 minutes each time. After about 3 weeks our girl had a reduced appetite, went from wanting constant attention to hiding out in her crate all day and her activity level diminished drastically. More alarming she started discharging and excessive amount of vaginal fluid. The fluid was reddish brown, thick mucus like and stringy. We contacted our breeder partner who said all of this was normal accept the amount of discharge. So about 12 hours of the excessive vaginal fluid we brought her to a vet. Unfortunately, we were out of town with her due to a death in the family. The vet did some tests and said her white blood count was high and her albumin was low. She gave her a shot to raise her albumin levels and prescribed her some anti-biotics. My concern though was that she said she could not detect any puppies via the ultrasound. Not that I am Upset she isnt prgnant but now all of those other symptoms I was associating with her being pregnant are now stmptoms of this possible infection. Couldn't she just not be far along to detect puppies? I have read several books, blogs, etc. saying that puppies may not be detectable this early. Thoughts??? Thanks in advance for your help. Rest assure we will be visiting our vet when we return home in a couple weeks.ADDED: I do not see anything wrong with Backyard Breeding as we have sought out professional care and guidance throughout the whole process. Including the emergency vet visit on Friday and the follow-up appointment coming this Monday and all of those future ones to come. I should also add that since the visit/ initial treatment her activity level has increased some, as well as her appetite. The discharge has drastically declined. We have spoken with her home vet, who again has been part of this process from the beginning, and he has faxed over all of our girl's paperwork to the "current" vet office. He also has received copies of the testing done on our girl from Friday morning. Unfortunately, this being a wknd he said that unless he saw something that needed emergency treatment other than what our girl has had he would telephone ASAP. Since we didn't hear back from him yesterday or today we will await his telephone call Monday.We also notified our Mid - "Woof&q

What is the chance my dog's pregnancy ultrasound is wrong or too soon? General Dog Discussions
    • Sweetie, I am surprised your vet did not check her for Pyometra. Which is exactly what I think your dog has.She's not pregnant. She is seriously ill. Get her back to your vet NOW.http://www.universityvet.com/resource/pyometra-dogs

• Are you serious? From what you've typed, it sounds more like she has PYOMETRA, a VERY serious uterine infection that takes place shortly after a b*tch goes out of heat. The discharge that you talked about is NOT normal. Take her to an ER Vet TODAY! Rest assure, if this is PYOMETRA, and it isn't treated, she'll be dead before you get home in a couple of weeks. I promise.

• With the "vet check" you had done on the stud, was a brucellosis test done? It's a canine STD. While pus might interfere with the ultrasound, it's more likely that any fetal development was compromised by the pyometra.

• Like the other poster said- it sounds like pyometra- we lost a dog from it many, many years ago and it's horrible. Please get her to a better vet NOW. Not to beat a dead horse, but this is exactly why breeding should be left to the professionals. Reading a few books and blogs+a general health check is NOT enough to warrant breedings a dog. It could also be an STD if the male wasn't properly screened (best case senerio) but you won't know until you get her to a vet again. Please, if she makes it, never try to breed a dog again- having puppies is NOT worth watching your dog die and it's a slap in the face to all the dogs rotting in shelters waiting for a home.