Why does it seem like everyone who has a litter of puppies is labelled as evil and stupid?

I'll admit that this is more of a comment than a question, but I feel it has to be said.FYI, not everyone who makes a conscious decision to breed their dog is a horrible, horrible person. I know this is a controversial topic, but it just seems like there…

Why does it seem like everyone who has a litter of puppies is labelled as evil and stupid?

I'll admit that this is more of a comment than a question, but I feel it has to be said.FYI, not everyone who makes a conscious decision to breed their dog is a horrible, horrible person. I know this is a controversial topic, but it just seems like there…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why does it seem like everyone who has a litter of puppies is labelled as evil and stupid?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why does it seem like everyone who has a litter of puppies is labelled as evil and stupid?

Why does it seem like everyone who has a litter of puppies is labelled as evil and stupid? General Dog Discussions
      I'll admit that this is more of a comment than a question, but I feel it has to be said.FYI, not everyone who makes a conscious decision to breed their dog is a horrible, horrible person. I know this is a controversial topic, but it just seems like there are some people here who think they're experts on the pet population issue. Well, a lot of the people who breed their dogs DO have reasons other than making money. A lot of them HAVE run the proper tests and done the proper research about whelping, and have lined up prospective buyers BEFORE the breeding is even done. Some of them breed dogs for the joy of it, and only consider healthy, happy dogs for breeding. I'm not saying backyard breeders can't be really bad for dog breeds, but not everyone just goes about willy nilly hooking up chihuahuas with Great Danes. Now have at me, breeder haters.

Why does it seem like everyone who has a litter of puppies is labelled as evil and stupid? General Dog Discussions
    • I dont see a problem with people breeding their dogs if they have tests done first to make sure that the puppies will be healthy ect. I do understand the other side of it too. There are a lot of unwanted/ sheltered dogs out there, but you know what that is because they shelters make you go thru so much just to get a puppy out of there before they go killing them. < not fair for the people or the animals.

• I think people who take 2 different breeds and breed them then name them something like Cock-a-poo is bad breeding.And people who buy these mixed breed pups for $500 are just as stupid.

• I agree 110% with your letter...I am almost afraid of the backlash of asking a question in regards to dog reproduction on here!!! Some people mainly people that call themselves "breeders" think they have a monopoly on dog breeding and no one else who wants to get into registered dog breeding or someone who wants to breed their healthy pet is allowed to join the exclusive club of dog breeders....how did the people already breeding start, these people who call you horrible names and say your a bad owner without knowing you are the jackas@#@ I say. If I want to breed my dog I will and nothing these people say will stop me so why not state your opinion in a nice fashion and then answer the actual question. They just blow up and freak out on you. I too will breed my pb dog when the time comes, she is healthy and a great dog, and I have owners lined up as well. So boo hoo to all you "professional breeders" grow up.

• I have absolutely nothing against reputable breeders breeding high-quality dogs. I love purebreds and I know it's up to reputable breeders to keep those breeds going.But people asking on Yahoo Answers are not reputable breeders. They have questions like "how do I breed a dog?" or "what would be a cute breed to breed my yorkipoo to?", those people have no idea what they are doing.The people asking these questions on Yahoo Answers usually fit least one of the following:(A) Have never bred dogs before.(B) Don't know much, if anything, about the breed standard.(C) Are not breeding for the breed standard (white boxers, oversized animals, etc.).(D) Are breeding mutts. <-- (this one really irks me!)(E) Have done no health checks or temperament checks.(F) Have no registration papers.(G) Have registration papers, but no champion bloodlines in the pedigree, and/or have a pet quality dog.Those that fit the descriptions above should spay/neuter their animals.If someone is serious about wanting to become a reputable breeder, they should be showing their dogs in confirmation, getting as involved in the "dog world" as they can, and finding a reputable MENTOR to help them out. They should not be asking on Yahoo Answers.And another thing for the record, reputable breeders don't "compete". They actually work together. Most reputable breeders use a stud from another reputable breeder. Puppymills and BYBs "compete" because they want the cash. Reputable breeders work together to produce the highest quality dogs they can.

• "hooking up chihuahuas with Great Danes"That's a great idea! The noble dane in a pocket size format! I'd make a fortune selling those! But wait. What if instead I get an oversized obnoxious bug-eyed freak that yips nonstop? Hmmm... I better rethink this.

• Obviously you have never walked through the local animal shelter and looked at the faces of dogs that will never see the next sunrise. If you are a responsible and altruistic breeder who has an informed breeding program, participates in organized activities to test the success of that breeding program, has lots of money to spend as this type of breeding is expensive and rarely if ever pays any dividends except in the knowledge you have made the dog world a better place. It is not a matter of breeding dogs even if you have done many of the tests, know what you are doing and so on. You are not doing it to improve the breed in some way. Take a walk through the animal shelter and knowing that you have buyer lined up for your dogs and that will condemn these dogs to death. I will argue against any type of BYB whether they think they are doing it right or not, until there aren't any more dogs being euthanized because of over population.

• THANK YOU! I am a breeder too- of a min-pin - and I make sure that the homes are the best for my pups and only breed her every 2 years when our list is full- and always keep in contact! - Yes there is an over population of all animals but that is do to the neglect of the people who do not spay and neuter their animals that breed unwanted animals and I feel and also think that if you get a animal- spay and neuter if you know that taking up breeding is a costly and long -lasting time! Back yard breeders are the worst! And if a loving family looks for a breeder they will be able to tell the difference! A true pet family member is with the family- not left alone in a kennel all the time!

• Yes, and everytime a puppy is taken by a family, that is NOT always stealing a home for a shelter dog. Many families don't consider shelter dogs, because of their questionable health and history. Many dogs sit in no-kill shelters and will never be adopted. It's sad, but you can't blame every breeder who you think is "substandard." Is pet quality such a bad thing?

• while i agree with most of what abbyful says, i do not agree that a dog must have championship bloodlines on their pedigrees. most people cannot afford to pay $500 or more to purchase a show quality, championship bloodline dog, and even if they could why would they take a dog well qualified for the show ring and keep it as a pet? i say the people who are breeding any type of dog, whether its a full breed, mixed breed, show quality or pet quality, for the sole purpose of making a living should be banned. yes i agree that if you want the dog you should be able to afford any and all treatment and care of the animal, unfortunately that isnt always the case and yes if a female comes in heat all the males for miles around will try and breed with her. we need more places that offer low cost or free spay/ neuter programs, and even bigger discounts for seniors. alot of seniors, who live on very fixed incomes, live longer happier lives with the help of a four legged companion. that doesnt make them less of a person, or a less caring pet owner if they cant afford to fix their pet and it become pregnant. make more of a stand against puppy mills than backyard breeders, puppy mills are the worst!!!! anyway ill stop rambling

• I think you're looking for a fight. Anyone can style an antogonistic question. Go for a run. Most people do breed their pets willy nilly, which is why most responsible breeders and animal activists, decry them. They aren't evil, just stupid and, most of the time greedy.Now, have at yourself.PS I adore my breeder. One dog from breeder, one from a breeder that was an owner turn in, a rescue by all definitions.You need to learn a bit about breeders, about the people on this board, and about WHY DOGS ARE BRED IN THE FIRST PLACE, AND IT ISN'T FOR MONEY.

• I don't hate all breeders, but working in rescue, I have seen the devastating effects of overpopulation. We work with rural shelters (since the local city ones have gone no-kill, thank god), and every week tons of dogs get euthanized. Unfortunately, we can't save them all. These dogs are not nameless and faceless. Often, our director goes to the shelter in advance to determine which dogs will be adoptable. She has to pick and choose which dogs live and which dogs die. As an all-volunteer organization, we are constantly short of helping hands. We don't have enough fosters, drivers, or home-checkers to accommodate all the animals. The board feels like these deaths are on their hands, and are always desperately looking for help.On top of all the regular mutts that need homes, every once in awhile we get loads of dogs or puppies from puppy mills, breeders (who decide that the dog or puppy isn't perfect enough and dump it at a high-kill shelter), hoarders, and so on. One lady died without making out a will, and her 400 dogs were left to be auctioned off by the state.I get it that people like well-bred dogs. I get it that not all breeders are unscrupulous, greedy jerks who put a puppy down for the slightest thing. But I can't help wishing that all breeders would stop making puppies for a few years. If every breeder would stop breeding for just a couple of years, then maybe we could find homes for a lot of the animals in shelters, because people would be willing to take any puppy that came along.* Also, every dog we adopt is 100% healthy (or the owner is informed of the medical problem and given the medication). We spay/neuter adults ourselves, and require that a spay/neuter contract be signed before adopting puppies. We follow up on every animal, and have reclaimed several when the owners refused to follow through.

• I don't think it's a matter of hating anyone that goes about breeding their dogs in an educated methodical responsible way. That unfortunately is the exception on "answers." IF someone were responsible they wouldn't be asking how can I tell when my 8 month old dog is going to deliver, or can I use a human pregnancy test on a dog, or my dog and another dog ended up stuck together do you think mine is pregnant. Even worse, what about the my female is in heat - do you know of any male (fill in breed blank) studs? If someone hasn't taken the time to take a female in during the pregnancy to get a check up and expected due date, do I think they've run all the tests they might need - NO. If I see that the female is young, do I think it was responsible - NO. If for the love of God they are considering using any human product that is for preventing reproduction, telling if reproduction has taken place do I think they know what they are doing and have researched - NO. If they come on yahoo and solicit for stud service do I think they are trying to better their breed of choice - NO. If someone came on yahoo and said hey I really like german shepherds, I've been researching the history and am thinking about getting a puppy in a couple of years, I still have some researching to do, but can anyone tell me about showing my puppy, organizations I can join to learn more, etc., I would be more than happy to share information. Or I researched german shepherds for a couple of years then I bought a female, she is now two years old, I've had temperament testing done and put her through the service dog training, but now want to keep her to breed, I would still be happy to answer questions. EVEN if the person had family members taking the puppies and wanted one litter and came on here asking an intelligent sounding question I could deal with it, but you have to go back and look at some of these questions. I sometimes feel like logging on and saying, I have two german shepherds, a male/female, I know she was bleeding, but I thought it might have been a nose bleed, but I didn't take her to the vet. I saw them stuck together and thought it was weird. He won't eat, and has been vomiting I'm not sure if he's had shots or not, he's only 2. The female is now getting fat, but she's only 7 months old, isn't that too young for her to have puppies? Oh, and I fed them Nestle toll house cookies is that bad? Just to see what someone answers.....I get so frustrated I go weeks without logging in......that's the problem I see with some of the people asking questions.

• To answer the question that was actually asked:Animal rights groups like PETA have been pretty effective in their programs of getting people to hate owners and breeders of all kinds of animals. The reason why is that it makes money and power for PETA, HSUS, and even the somewhat reputable organizations like the Humane Society SPCA. Unfortunately the animal rights activists have managed to push the animal welfare people into adopting an animal-hating agenda.

• I echo your sentiments, and have said so several times on this site. I'm in the same situation--my dogs are in excellent health, have been OFA'd hips, elbows, and thyroid, have been DNA tested, have been shown and are champions, have been carefully chosen for their pedigrees, and I am knowledgable and active in my breed. I only have one dog that I want to breed, but it happens to be to one of my other dogs. After owning several dogs in the breed for going on 10 years now, I chose these two carefully so that I could breed; I'm not just going to throw two unproven dogs together and let them go at it. I'm not stupid or irresponsible. Neither are you. What I've found is that most of the people who are yelling about backyard breeders are breeders themselves who don't want someone cutting into their profits so they run a smear campaign against everyone else. Ridiculous.What's also interesting to me is the number of people, even many of those who have answered this question, who criticize "the people who come on yahoo answers"--yet THEY are people on yahoo answers. They lump everyone other than themselves into one category--stupid and irresponsible.

• "EVERYBODY"???No,just the thousands of ignorant,irresponsible IMBECILES who post HERE!!!!"Healthy & happy" are ***NOT*** criteria for breeding QUALITY!!!NO MUTT/MONGREL & only the TOP 10% of PUREBRED animals should be bred from! EVER!For ANY "reason"! & YES....the RULES APPLY TO ***YOU***!!!!

• do you keep in contact with the people that get your puppies?Alot of pure breed akc end up in rescues or at the spcas because they get to big or the people are getting divorced and neither of them can keep the dog, or they can't afford the vet bills, or it's bigger than what they wanted once it is full grown. There are alot of dogs and puppies out there that can really use a loving home believe me i do animal rescue and there are alot of pure breed dogs that come threw every week