How big is a typical Border Collie Puppy?

I am getting a border collie puppy this summer when i visit my grandmother, and since i have to fly home with him, I need to know what size crate to get. I already have a crate for when he is grown, but i will need one that fits him as a puppy when we…

I am getting a border collie puppy this summer when i visit my grandmother, and since i have to fly home with him, I need to know what size crate to get. I already have a crate for when he is grown, but i will need one that fits him as a puppy when we…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How big is a typical Border Collie Puppy?...

• How big is a typical Border Collie Puppy?

How big is a typical Border Collie Puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am getting a border collie puppy this summer when i visit my grandmother, and since i have to fly home with him, I need to know what size crate to get. I already have a crate for when he is grown, but i will need one that fits him as a puppy when we fly home. He should be around 10-12 weeks old then. Does anyone know how about big he will be at that time? Thanks ahead of time!

How big is a typical Border Collie Puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I would get a 32" crate. That should be big enough for a medium to larger puppy. Since it's a boy he will be a little bit bigger. Plus, he might have to go potty in the plane. Since you can't let him out, he will need to go in his crate. A little larger crate will give him room to go in the back and be comfortable in the front.Just make sure you exercise him. BCs are difficult dogs to own. If you don't give them a job, they'll make their own.

• BCs are highly variable in size, but a small-to-medium crate should be sufficient for a puppy that age. If he's going in the hold, I'd recommend the medium size crate, as, as already mentioned, a mess in the crate is quite likely. Make sure to get absorbent crate liners for the trip, to keep the mess to a minimum. Check with your air carrier, they may allow the puppy in the cabin as a carry-on with a soft crate. This should be much more tolerable for the puppy, especially as BCs tend to be environmentally reactive - loud and sudden sounds can seriously distress them.