what are the reasons as to why people shouldnt buy dogs from pet stores?

i wanted to tell my mom y. i told her that there were some reasons but i for got them.im not going to by them from a pet store. i never plan to. i will buy them from a shelter when i get one.

i wanted to tell my mom y. i told her that there were some reasons but i for got them.im not going to by them from a pet store. i never plan to. i will buy them from a shelter when i get one....
    General Dog Discussions : what are the reasons as to why people shouldnt buy dogs from pet stores?...

• what are the reasons as to why people shouldnt buy dogs from pet stores?

what are the reasons as to why people shouldnt buy dogs from pet stores? General Dog Discussions
      i wanted to tell my mom y. i told her that there were some reasons but i for got them.im not going to by them from a pet store. i never plan to. i will buy them from a shelter when i get one.

what are the reasons as to why people shouldnt buy dogs from pet stores? General Dog Discussions
    • The main reason, is most of the puppies sold in petstores, are from puppy mills. Which means their overall health (physical and mental) is not guaranteed.Always adopt. There are many purebreds in shelters (they're not all mixed breeds) that need loving homes.

• You shouldnt buy dogs from a pet store because most of the dogs in a pet store are sick before they give it to you and if you are looking for a breed you won't find it there because all the dogs in there are mixed. Oh one thing most of the dogs in a pet store don't have all there shots to remember that.

• Most would be comeing from puppymills. Unless you want an inbred, disease infested, puppy with bad habits and possible health disorders, I would stay away from petstores.Most puppies in petstores and puppymills never learn to keep their den clean, which would make housebreaking VERY hard.

• most pet stores get their dogs from puppy mills, b/c they are cheaper!! many are inbreed! this can cause tons of health and mental problems later in life!! it can end up costing you tons of money in vet. bills!! shelter are the best! not all dogs in shelters are mixed!!! you can get a full blood dog, who is already fix and had all it's shot at price cheaper then paying to do it your self!! a the big plus is instead of helping to fund a puppy mill, you are making room for another animal who needs help and love!!!! i had a German rott.that i adopted from an APL years ago! we loved him very much & he was the best dog i have ever had!!!:)

• Because pet stores get their pups from puppy mills and buying from a pet store supports the puppy mill industry.Puppy Mills are horrific breeders who keep their females in cages all their lives and literally breed them to death. They get just enuf food and water to survive, barely, and are made to live in their own filth, as they don't bother to clean the cages.Puppies that are puppy mill bred have questionable pedigrees and have the possibility of not being a pure breed. They are hard to potty train due to the conditions they are raised in as well as do poorly with crate training, as the effects of being forced to live in their own filth eliminates their natural instinct not to "go" in the den. They basically unlearn that beneficial behavior.Temperment of puppy mill puppies is often questionable as well. They are often fearful of everything as they do not get any kind of human contact or socialization when young. They are taken far too soon from mom and often lack many manners a pup will learn after the age of 6 weeks.All in all, puppy mills are horrible and buying from a pet store supports these places. The dogs sold often have a world of problems as they are never health certified, and maybe get a vet check.Ban pet stores!

• Most puppies sold from pet stores are from puppy mills. Their parents are usually not cared for properly in order for the breeder to make as much profit as possible. They rarely come from sound stock and could end up costing you a lot of money in vet bills. Even worse is after the pup doesn't turn out to be the dog you hoped for they end up in shelters. Always buy from a reputable breeder that wants to stay in touch and demonstrates a true love for the breed you want(not just the popular breed of the week)The more research you do the happier you and your family will be in the long run. The dog will be happier too.

• Buying puppies from a pet store promotes Puppy Mills and Backyard Breeding. Both these types of puppy producers usually mass produce and have no disregard for their animals and aren't concerned about their health nor the people they are placing them with.Think about it.....Pet Store probably pay them $200-$300 and turn around and sell it for $799.... buying and selling poor quality pups for profit.... NO THANK YOU!

• Because there are a lot of good dogs that need homes waiting to be adopted. I used to get pets from stores. Then I met my wife, and fell in love partly because she adopts pets. The organizations are easy to find online. They will work with you, and make sure that the adoption will work (they don't just drop off the pet and say "later!"). They charge a nominal fee to cover shots, spay/nueter, and other considerations (fund the place where they keep the pets). Help keep an animal off death row! Adopt your next pet!

• I agree with what everyone else says but the biggest issues are that they come with a lot of health problems and if they try to tell you that the animals come from a respectable breeder they are wrong because no respectable breeder will sell their animals to a pet store. Also that there are son many good pets being euthanized in the pound, SPCA and Humane Societies that there is no need to get one from a pet store, both of my dogs were adopted from the pound and are the greatest dogs ever because they are greatful to have someone who loves them.

• The breeding of these dogs is cruel and inhumane. Most of these dogs have more genetic and behavioral problems than shelter pets. My last breeder dog I fostered hid in her crate most of the time because that was all she knew. She was mated and thrown in a cage to have her babies in 63-65 days. Many are never touched by human hands till they are picked up to be carted off to pet stores. Maybe one in the litter thrown in another cage to breed with its dad for the next money making litter. Your best bet is to go to the shelter or rescue adoption. Its unfortunate that their are so many mutts but at least they are not inbred to carry on the poor genes. You should never pay for a pet that has not been altered or has no blue ribbons from reputable shows to prove its worth breeeding.

• The selling of animals in pet stores is deplorable. It encourages people to breed dogs in large numbers, frequently in very unsanitary and unhealthy conditions. You can watch Animal Cops on the Animal Planet channel. In almost all locations for this show dogs are being rescued from these horrible conditions.Just have your mom watch a few shows on that channel.Most animal control and humane societies have dogs and puppies for adoption. Their health has been checked by a vet and they have been given shots, spayed or neutered, wormed, whatever so that you can be sure of getting a healthy pet.Those agencies adopt animals to the public at much lower cost than what it costs to treat pets on the "open" vet market. Remember too that these agencies perfom many humane and necessary functions in your community by way of rescuing animals in distress, humanely putting down those that cannot be saved, etc. So because they do these things for your community and your taxes have covered some of that cost it is better to patronize them when looking for a pet.Large corporations such as Pet Smart and Petco have adopted a commendable policy of using their cages for the adoption of animals from rescue organisations in your community. So they too are helping find homes for abandoned animals without taking a profit from their "sale" as the pet stores do.

• Pet store puppies....They come from puppy mills, usually are taken away from their parents at around 4-5 weeks (no puppy should EVER leave before 8 weeks or they suffer behavior problems). The pet stores usually have their own vets that make false paperwork stating that the dog is healthy even when they are suffering from kennel cough, parvo, or distemper. If they give you a health guarantee, you have to bring the dog back to their vet and if you decide that you want to return the dog they kill them without medical help. People routinely drop puppies in pet shops breaking legs and bones. The puppy is left in the back and often either euthanized or left to heal on it's own. Where the puppies come from is even more horrible than the pet shop. The puppy mills have a barn or shot (usualy in Missouri or other eastern states) and the dogs are in tiny cages. They never have human contact, and their entire life is spent making babies. When they are too old or worn out, they are usualy killed but sometimes people can rescue them. Then these poor dogs have to be tought how to walk on the leash and other simple things like housebreaking. Watch Animal Cops and very often you can see a puppy mill shut down. Below is a poem that tells the story in a very real and saddening way from the puppies point of view. Please take the time to read it.Pet Store PuppyI'm a little puppy, so cuddly, sweet and smallI live inside a cage, you see at Pet Store in the mall.I'm not an only puppy, my sisters are all here.My brothers, too, except for Ralph who died coz he was scared.It's lonely here at nighttime when all the lights go dark,We tremble in our cages and we whimper and we bark.But no one comes to hold us or pet our fears awayWe sit all night in terror til the store opens next day.We don't remember mama left so far behindShe did the best she could for us til Man said "It is time."He crammed us all in cages too small for us you seeWe rode for hours; we could not help but lay in poop and peeAnd now we sit in Pet Store where kids come taunt and squeezeThey do not hear our whimpers or understand our pleasWe're miserable and it's scary here we all would rather dieBut since we don't we do our best to run away and hideI know you think my story too sad to leave me be,You want to take me home with you, a happy little puppy.But please, though it is fearful to live here against our willIf you take me that leaves a spot another pup will fill.You can stop our suffering but not by taking us homeYou must be strong and leave us here, unsold and all aloneFor if you do not take me, then another pup won't comeAnd maybe he will not be shipped so far away from homeTho some of us may not survive the cycle 'ere it fallsIf we don't sell they will not need more puppies in these hallsAnd if they need no puppies then the Man will not bring moreEventually it can all stop!You CAN close the door.So when you see a puppy face so sad and sweet and smallIn a cage at Pet Store at your neighborhood shopping mallThe best thing you can do for him is leave him sitting thereThat is the best way you can tell all dogshow much you care.Unknown

• Puppies in pet shops are over priced and tend to be the breeders culls (ones they don't want to sell themsevels because they are poor quality).If you want just any puppy go to the Humane Society or check out a rescue group and help save a life.If you want a purebred check for a breeder in your area...check them out very carefully!

• never buy a dog or pet... from store or a breeder . i have seen how dogs are treated like machines to give out puppies every year or so to make profit for their owners . it is similar to wwf saying "" when the buying stops so will the killing""" stop buying and grt your pet from a friend or a good vet . i am sure anybody who breeds for pleasure will be happy to give a pup for free if they know it will be looked after well . i have ahd 5 dogs 2cats 7 parrots and a varity of other pets . i never buy nor sell for money