How do I brush my puppy's teeth?

I just got a new munchkin puppy and need some good advice on how to brush her teeth. Best description and advice gets 10 points. Thanks!a munchkin is a cross between a yorkie and a shitzu. very cute.

I just got a new munchkin puppy and need some good advice on how to brush her teeth. Best description and advice gets 10 points. Thanks!a munchkin is a cross between a yorkie and a shitzu. very cute....
    General Dog Discussions : How do I brush my puppy's teeth?...

• How do I brush my puppy's teeth?

How do I brush my puppy's teeth? General Dog Discussions
      I just got a new munchkin puppy and need some good advice on how to brush her teeth. Best description and advice gets 10 points. Thanks!a munchkin is a cross between a yorkie and a shitzu. very cute.

How do I brush my puppy's teeth? General Dog Discussions
    • i dont suggest you 'brush ' your pups teeth, this is stressful for pup and once its had a bad expericne with it(gagging on the tooth brush etc) it wont ever agree to doing it againi suggest you get a denta bone or sumin for their teeth, u can get 3 or 4 bones for around 4 dollars and they work really well also give the dog apple,this can help too :)

• Get a tiiiny toothbrush (you can use a kid's one from the supermarket if you like- we use those so we KNOW that those belong to the dogs.) There are also finger covers that have bristles on them from the pet store or from your vet (your vet probably has toothpaste for your pup too-depends on where you want to get it.)You can also use your finger- other than that its just like brushing your teeth yourself, only on a dog. Use a dog toothpaste because dogs usually detest mint and its probably much safer too. If you use your finger just rub your toothpaste covered finger on the teeth. I have NEVER had a problem with a dog 'gagging' on a toothbrush. I HAVE however had problems with my dogs choking on a dentabone and those dental chews when she tried to swallow it whole so I guess which one you use depends on how likely your dog is to try to eat the whole thing in one go. As long as you brush GENTLY so that you are making sure your pup feels safe and secure (make sure you control the head so he can't move his head around or pull away,) then you shouldn't have any problems. If your dog reacts strongly to it you can try introducing him to it a little bit at a time (just the canines and incisors, for example, then moving after a few times to include more and more teeth until you get the whole mouth.)Good for your for thinking about your dogs dental health- it will make him that much less likely to have painful, expensive teeth problems in the future.

• Dental cloths and dental bones are a good start. Stay away from the "Greenies". It's been reported that dogs have swallowed them whole, requiring them to be surgically removed. If you are using a toothbrush, an old one of yours is fine, use tarter control toothpaste. Brush in small circles. Make it fun for the dog by making it into a game and giving them 1 small treat when done.

• When you brush your puppies teeth use a soft baby toothbrush from the supermarket they are only like $3 or something. I have a puppy myself and the vet tells me heaps of things of how to brush her teeth. First you have to wet the tooth brush and make sure its soft enough on your fingers. Then you hold open its mouth and brush very gently. (your puppy would probably thing its a chew toy and start chewwing on it but thats kind of good cos at least its not scared of it)Constantly wet the toothbrush but dont put any thing on the tooth brush like toothpaste. Also another alternative is to give her/him a bone every now and then. That keeps them clean and healthy and at least you wont have to do the dirty work. Good luck:)

• Usually at the vet they have toothbrushes for your dogs. There's a small brush and a big brush, and a finger cover you can stick in they're mouth. I suggest you get the meat flavored tooth paste. My dog loved it.

• You just brush the puppy's teeth like you normally do to yourself except that you have to be a little more gentler. I use kid's toothbrush because they are soft. The dog's toothbrush somehow is a little hard so when I brush my dog's teeth even how gentle I do it, the gum will bleed. This doesn't happen when I use kids' ones. Some pups will love teeth brushing while others no. I think they like the sensation of it. Mine don't enjoy it so much but that's because I don't make it fun for them. I'm quite strict when it comes to teeth brushing. I don't like them moving around so that's that. Some people will reward the puppy while brushing the teeth. Some pups love the taste of the dog toothpaste(most in beef flavour) will gladly brush their own teeth by chewing on it. But I'd suggest you don't allow that. Chewing on rawhides also help. When it's mixed with saliva & becomes soft, the rawhide goes between the teeth when it's being chewed. However, don't give too much of it because it smells so much like chemicals. Once a week is okay. Actually when brushing your pup's teeth, once a week is good enough but as it gets older, two times is recommended. I only brush my dog's teeth sometimes once a week, sometimes once in every two weeks, sometimes once in every three weeks. They eat home cooked & kibbles & sometimes canned food. No bones given. Rawhide only given once in a while as treats. Their teeth are still shining white! I'm not bluffing. Be careful when giving bones to your dog. Some dogs chew too hard until their chip their teeth & will just keep on going. But the damage can cause serious pain. I don't really think it does much of a cleaning because you must not forget about the stuff between the dog's teeth too ya know?

• How old is your puppy? I would wait until it's an adult. Because that's about the time when they need to have it done.But I can understand you wanting to do it when she's still a puppy so she gets used to it. Go to Pet Co, or other Pet Store. And buy the "Dog Brush Kit."It has doggy toothpaste and a doggy tooth brush. Or buy a baby tooth brush (That works tons easier for my dogs.) Process:Put a little toothpaste on your finger and just let the dog lick it off so they get used to it. Then put a little amount of toothpaste on the tooth brush. If you can have someone hold the puppy that would be easier. But just lift up the lips, and start gently brushing the teeth. Do the back bottoms. then front bottoms, then do the back tops, front tops, etc. Whatever way works best for you.And just gently brush over all of the teeth, scrub a little, do all the teeth. Don't do it too long. Like 30 seconds. And then let your dog have a break. And offer your puppy a drink of water, after your done.And brush your puppies teeth 3-4 times a week.But really! I've been brushing my dog's teeth for years, they Never get used to it. And they still hate it.I would wait until your puppy is at least 5 months old! Before you start.If you have any more questions, on something particular, add and I will Edit.