Can someone give me some advice in puppy training?

I'm about to get a new puppy, I'm going to need all the help I can get with this. I don't want to be caught unaware of what to do; so my dad told me to get some studying done to on Yahoo! or on Google. So if you have any ideas or helpful tips, I would so…

I'm about to get a new puppy, I'm going to need all the help I can get with this. I don't want to be caught unaware of what to do; so my dad told me to get some studying done to on Yahoo! or on Google. So if you have any ideas or helpful tips, I would so…...
    General Dog Discussions : Can someone give me some advice in puppy training?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can someone give me some advice in puppy training?

Can someone give me some advice in puppy training? General Dog Discussions
      I'm about to get a new puppy, I'm going to need all the help I can get with this. I don't want to be caught unaware of what to do; so my dad told me to get some studying done to on Yahoo! or on Google. So if you have any ideas or helpful tips, I would so appreciate it so much.

Can someone give me some advice in puppy training? General Dog Discussions
    • Okay:*Start them off on puppy pads. They are a little expensive but you will only need them for a month or 2 until she is trained this way.*Train them on the pad at first... yes there will be times when they don't make it there or just don't use it but u hav to take it slow.*As they get older start putting the pad on the grass/area you want them to pea on outside. * Make a bell so every time you take them out grab their paw and hit the bell. When they are older they will lear to hit the bell if they need to go out. * To make a bell buy a banana holder and wire are small cow bell to the top.Hope I Helped!!

• Puppies have a very short attention span. Frequent short lessons with positive reinforcement is the key to training your dog. I also recommend getting a crate. The crate should be big enough to stand, stretch and lie down but not so big that your puppy will have room to potty. Crate your puppy when you can't directly supervise. Make sure your dog is at least 8 weeks old before you take him/her from its mother. Just because a puppy can eat commercial dog food does not mean it is ready to be separated from its mom. I suggest going to your local library and check out a few dog training books. Good Luck with your pet and remember it's a life long commitment.

• Best choice: Enroll in Sirius Puppy Training classes. You can find classes near you on the internet. You can get the accompanying dvd to use with the classes. Enroll and start classes (almost) right away. Begin working as shown on the dvd immediately.Tied for Best Choice: Go to www.clickertraining.com and click on Find A Trainer. Work closely with the trainer.Another good choice: Go to www.clickertraining.com and get the puppy videos. Watch, learn and do it.Third idea: Go to YouTube and watch all of the clicker training videos. Yes, you CAN have a dog that good!Fourth recommendation: The book, HOW TO HOUSEBREAK YOUR DOG IN SEVEN DAYS, written by Shirlee Kalstone.

• First of all dive into housetraining books head first and don't leave until you're satiated with what to do. You need to start the regime right away and stick to it like slug slime (glue is not a strong enough metaphor) until your pup is completely trained. It will be a pain. It will be irritating. But you will enjoy ten or twelve years of pee-free carpets if you put in the hard shove now. Second, investigate basic supplies. Here are some thoughts:1. A kennel (crate) that is the appropriate size to fit your adult dog. It should come with a divider to accomodate puppy's growth.2. Food and water bowls. Metal is best. Don't worry, slipping's not really an issue. Shredded and swallowed rubber bits should be more of your concern, as your pup could choke on them. Even if your pup is small, a big water bowl is handy because you won't have to fill it up sixteen times a day.3. Bedding. Fleece is virtually non-shreddable and it's soft and warm as a bonus. Just head for the fabric store and pick up a sheet, in your preferred color. A great technique is to put the fleece in the kennel in the winter to keep puppy warm, and take it out (use lighter bedding inside) in summer and put it over the kennel to provide shade. 4. Leash and collar. Measure carefully, allow for future growth, and go with nylon for now. You can investigate leather and such later.5. Toys. Again, fleece is great. Also get kong toys, a tug-a-jug for feeding, perhaps a few stuffed toys (warning - they will be immediately shredded), and two Nylabones. I've heard of nineteen year old Nylabones - they last forever. Get a few.Go to the vet and get shots and stuff. Take notes on what your vet tells you, and keep the vet's contact information handy. You'll want to keep detailed records of when puppy gets which shots, and when he will need boosters.That's about all you need to know for now. Good luck!

• Each puppy is different, but in terms of training, I would definitely recommend reading Cesar Millan's books on dog training (you might know him better as The Dog Whisperer). If you're too lazy to read the books, or want more dog training help, you can also watch his tv series. He was a great help to me when I was training my dog :)

• Well when i first got my puppy and if she ever pee or poop in the house would hit her with the newspaper, not hard just so you know so she knows that its wrong, i would put her in the front of my door and teach her to scratch the door, so now she goes to the front of the door and tells me when she wants to go to the bathroom!