how much does it cost to adopt a puppy at an aspca shelter?

My sister and i are always asking our parents about getting a puppy and my sis and i decided that we want to adopt one from our local aspca shelter, but i'm confused and don't really know how much it actually costs to adopt a pet from the shelter ? So…

My sister and i are always asking our parents about getting a puppy and my sis and i decided that we want to adopt one from our local aspca shelter, but i'm confused and don't really know how much it actually costs to adopt a pet from the shelter ? So…...
    General Dog Discussions : how much does it cost to adopt a puppy at an aspca shelter?...

• how much does it cost to adopt a puppy at an aspca shelter?

how much does it cost to adopt a puppy at an aspca shelter? General Dog Discussions
      My sister and i are always asking our parents about getting a puppy and my sis and i decided that we want to adopt one from our local aspca shelter, but i'm confused and don't really know how much it actually costs to adopt a pet from the shelter ? So can someone please give me info on that please and thank u--------- <3

how much does it cost to adopt a puppy at an aspca shelter? General Dog Discussions
    • You and your sister are minors, so neither of you can adopt. Your parents have to do it. Have them call the shelter.BUT...they aren't keen on it, and the adult thing for both you and your sister to do is to accept the word no, and do like millions of others have done. They had to wait until they were out of the house before they got their first dog.Edit: I know people are telling you to call the shelter, but shelters really don't want to talk to minors. They'll want to talk to your parents, and will not sell a dog to them if your parents aren't too keen on it.Also, you say you are a junior in high school. What happens when you move out? The dog will have to stay with your parents. Also, will you REALLY have time for the dog(school, social life, school activities, a job, etc) You won't be home much if you are doing all of that, and that's not fair to a dog.As for rescue dogs having emotional baggage..none of mine did/do. Four of my five were/are rescues, and haven't had any problems with them.

• every shelter is different, some charge less for adult dogs than pups, you really need to phone them.. here is a good link - a guide on HOW TO ADOPT from a shelter, it tells you everything you needhttp://gomestic.com/pets/how-to-adopt-a-pet-from-an-animal-shelter/good luck, shelter pets are the BEST!

• Well juju, if I, I would try to show your parents on how mature and responsible you are (along with your sister of course.) That's what I did and I did a damn good job at raising my first dog and I was only 8 years old!!!! Of course my grandparents had to help when it came to taking it to the vet, but I bathed him, fed him, watered him and all of that! Just give it a shot :)

• It depends. The highest I have seen is $300 and the lowest is $100. Older dogs are less expensive, but the main thing is to get the right dog for you and how you live your live. Someone who works a lot should not get a Jack Russell. Don't get a Border Collie in an apartment. Look at many different dogs until you choose the right one. I am glad you are adopting a puppy as I am a foster dad for a shelter with 9 puppies. But consider an older dog as well. It may be easier to raise and you already know what you are getting.

• every city is different try aspca websites maybe even go to the shelter to know foreshore otherwise they could range from 800 to 2000 it also depends on how rare the puppy is hope that helped.

• I adopted my Jack Russell Terrier from a shelter, and it cost $250 to adopt her. I had to have my parents legally adopt her for me because I rent an apartment and don't own my own home like they do. Although the adoption fee for a shelter dog is usually not all that expensive, please remember that caring for a dog is a lifetime of responsibility. They can live up to 15-20 years, and every year there are vet bills, food costs, monthly heartworm and flea/tick preventative, etc. For example, a 6 month supply of Iverhart Plus (heartworm prevenative) is about $22, and a 6 month dose of Frontline Plus (flea and tick prevenative) is $81. That's about $15 per month for both treatments, and that's assuming you buy them in bulk, rather than one month at a time. It's imperative that your dog be on heartworm preventative once it's old enough. Heartworm disease is transmitted by mosquitos and can kill a puppy very easily. Once a dog gets heartworm, it's very difficult (and expensive) to cure.A young puppy will also require vaccinations until it is a few months old. Most dogs that come from shelters are old enough that they come fully vaccinated, but this is not always the case. When you get a dog from a shelter, make sure you schedule a visit with a veterinarian within a few days of adopting your dog. Request a fecal exam to check for internal parasites. Bordatella, coronavirus, rabies, parvo, DHLPP, and other vaccinations are required to keep your dog healthy. Once a puppy is old enough, you will only need to vaccinate them once a year.There's also food to consider. Many commercial pet foods (brands you can buy at Walmart or any grocery store, including Eukanuba, Iams, Beneful, Pedigree, etc.) contain harmful preservatives and animal by-products. Animal by-products can legally contain roadkill, euthanized pets, and indigestible parts of animals (like hooves, feathers, beaks) that aren't fit for human consumption. These foods also contain high amounts of grains, like corn, soy, and wheat. These grains result in allergies in many dogs. Dogs live longer when you feed them a healthy diet. Remember that if you do adopt a dog, a smaller dog is less expensive to feed and easier to care for.You should also buy a crate. A crate is a great tool for potty training your dog. Make sure you buy a crate that will fit your dog when it is all grown up. It should be big enough for the adult dog to stand up and turn around, but not so big that they can potty in one corner and sleep in the other. Crates are also useful for destructive chewers who can't be trusted alone.What about if your dog has an accident? If your dog swallows something harmful or breaks a bone, it could require surgery, which is expensive. If you adopt a dog that is not yet spayed/neutered, it can cost anywhere from $100-350 to have them fixed. It's important to get your dog fixed to cut down on their chances of reproductive cancer, or inappropriate dominance behavior. Male and female dogs that are not fixed can have aggressive issues that won't go away if they are fixed too late. Male dogs who are not neutered may start to hump or lift their leg to pee on things in your house. Males are less expensive to have neutered, and the surgery is not as invasive.Remember to do your research on what breeds of dog might be best for you. Herding dogs like Border Collies, Australian Shepherds, German Shepherds, etc. are very high energy working dogs that require a LOT of stimulation in order to be happy. If you can't provide that stimulation, they can wreak havoc on your house. They become destructive chewers, obsessive compulsive people herders, or they develop separation anxiety.Also remember that shelter dogs bring with them a lot of emotional baggage. My Jack Russell had a history of dog aggression and separation anxiety, which at times was really inconvenient. I couldn't travel or leave her alone because she would pee or poop in her bed, drool and pant, and pace endlessly when I was away. It took her months to get completely comfortable with her new life. If you do adopt a shelter dog, give them time to adjust, and don't give up on them too soon!I hope this helped! :)