How can I get my dog to slow it's eating.?

She is 3 months old and when we feed her she act's like she is starving and inhales her food. I don't think she even chews it. We are feeding her the correct amount for her age and wait so it isn't because she is starving. I know about the Brake-Fast…

She is 3 months old and when we feed her she act's like she is starving and inhales her food. I don't think she even chews it. We are feeding her the correct amount for her age and wait so it isn't because she is starving. I know about the Brake-Fast…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I get my dog to slow it's eating.?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I get my dog to slow it's eating.?

How can I get my dog to slow it's eating.? General Dog Discussions
      She is 3 months old and when we feed her she act's like she is starving and inhales her food. I don't think she even chews it. We are feeding her the correct amount for her age and wait so it isn't because she is starving. I know about the Brake-Fast bowl but is there anything that we can do at home without having to spend money to make her stop?

How can I get my dog to slow it's eating.? General Dog Discussions
    • When she is eating to fast pull her back and let her go and do it again over and over until its all gone.my dog is a fat hungry eater so i know what to do.

• The rock in the bowl trick will slow them down very slightly. I am following my vet's advice with my speed eater and feeding her small meals more often. 1/2 of breakfast is when we get up and the rest is right before we go to work. 1/2 of dinner is close to our dinnertime and the remainder is shortly before bed.

• This usually happens when puppies are in big litters and forced to fight for the moms milk to survive. It can also happen in other cases when the dog has to compete for food since birth...She should get over it with time but make sure you are not making it worse.Don't correct her (no!) or pull the food away. It can cause food aggression.The best thing you can do is wait until she is relaxed to feed her. If she's jumping all over and barking, etc...don't put the food down. This will stop rewarding the excited behavior. If she eats fast still...it's okay. Dogs don't really have chewing teeth anyways, they just kind of swallow things for the most part. It won't hurt anything (per my vet, when I asked about my puppy). Also understand that she isn't "hungry"...it is more of a survival instinct. So don't fall into the trap of feeding her more because you think shes starving. You can try some green beans on top of her food to help fill her up!FYI. My puppy had the same problem and has slowed considerably now at age 7 months....

• A little peanut butter will do the trick. It keeps them so busy, we actually use it in training to prevent them from barking and biting each other. Not to mention most dogs love peanut butter.Obviously it contains a lot of fat, so don't use too much. But probably giving her a little before her meal or even mixing it with her food should slow her down. Although, as far as I know there is no harm in dogs eating quickly. It's part of their canine instinct--their ancestors lived in packs where the only food was first come first serve!

• you can feed your dog three bowls of food a day in the morning,afternoon,and night that way he will onley get the meels you want or you could put less in the bowl