Difference in dog hide chew thing?

My puppy is 4 months old now and we want to get him some hide chew thing (i don't really know what it's called). My friend keeps telling me that they sell big packs of it at the dollar store but the ones I've seen in pet shops are like 15 bucks. Is there…

My puppy is 4 months old now and we want to get him some hide chew thing (i don't really know what it's called). My friend keeps telling me that they sell big packs of it at the dollar store but the ones I've seen in pet shops are like 15 bucks. Is there…...
    General Dog Discussions : Difference in dog hide chew thing?...

• Difference in dog hide chew thing?

Difference in dog hide chew thing? General Dog Discussions
      My puppy is 4 months old now and we want to get him some hide chew thing (i don't really know what it's called). My friend keeps telling me that they sell big packs of it at the dollar store but the ones I've seen in pet shops are like 15 bucks. Is there a big difference in quality or are stores just overpricing stuff.

Difference in dog hide chew thing? General Dog Discussions
    • I would never feed my dog raw hide, especially from the dollar stores. Many dogs have choked and died, damaged their throat, and had intestinal blockages eating these things. I buy my dog the brand ''Smokehouse'' prime slices. They're made from beef ligaments and are digestible if a piece is swallowed. My dog LOVES chewing on these and they last forever.

• The answer to both your questions is yes. :) There are differences in thickness, flavorings, and quality. But pet shops DO overprice a lot of their items. Like the difference between going to a baby-specific store for clothes and furniture and going to Target/Walmart. :D

• Rawhide bones and chews are extremely bad for dogs. Their bodies cannot digest them and if swallowed can cause blockages or cuts in the digestive track. Because it is easy for your dog to break pieces off and it does taste and smell like food, they WILL actually consume rawhides. I had to take my male great dane to the emergency vet at 4 months old due to him consuming a rawhide that a neighbor threw into my yard and my puppy had managed to find it while out going potty. I know the neighbor had good intentions, but they were just ill-informed. The rawhide caused blockages, diarrhea and bleeding which resulted in extreme dehydration. It was life threatening. If you want a good safe chew toy for your dog I would recommend a nyla-bone. They are very durable and help with chewing issues but do not taste like food so if the dog does break a piece off they are less likely to swallow it. If your dog does appear to be swallowing pieces of ANY chew toy, remove it immediately. There are also Kongs that make excellent chew toys that you can stuff with treats and nummies. I've found these to be virtually indestructible even by my 100+lb great danes gnawing on them all the time. My dogs love peanut butter or yogurt and pineapple chunks frozen into the Kong. Be creative but just be aware of what is safe and what is not. Hope this helps!