gave my puppy a cow ear what should i look for?

i gave the dog the ear about three days ago .i just found out they can cause seious problems . are there any signs i should watch for? she has gone potty so i would not think there is a blockage

i gave the dog the ear about three days ago .i just found out they can cause seious problems . are there any signs i should watch for? she has gone potty so i would not think there is a blockage...
    General Dog Discussions : gave my puppy a cow ear what should i look for?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• gave my puppy a cow ear what should i look for?

gave my puppy a cow ear what should i look for? General Dog Discussions
      i gave the dog the ear about three days ago .i just found out they can cause seious problems . are there any signs i should watch for? she has gone potty so i would not think there is a blockage

gave my puppy a cow ear what should i look for? General Dog Discussions
    • If it was three days ago she's fine. Dogs' digestive system works much faster than ours.Do you mean a smoked or otherwise treated ear, sold especially for dogs? Only problem I heard they cause is that a few years ago a batch was tainted with salmonella. That can also happen with improperly handled human food. If you bought the ear at a reputable pet store or grocery store it should be fine, & you shouldn't worry about giving them if your dog likes them.

• If it is a larger dog they should be able to digest and pass feces with no problems. But if the dog is small my vet advises against them, they can and have blocked the intestines of small dogs, I have chihuahuas, she said the ears will unwrap in their intestines. It is ok for them to chew on if they are large pieces but don't let them have any small pieces that they can swallow. I just don't buy them any more. There are plenty of other snacks made for dogs that are a lot safer than the pig and cow ears.But look for vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, lethargic behavior (not wanting to do anything no energy) and if you see any or these behaviors get the dog checked out.