Should i use her harness or collar i am taking my lab mix to the public park? Read more below?

She pulls on her collar when she sees another dog. And her collar slips off on occasion. Do you think I should use the harness or collar

Should i use her harness or collar i am taking my lab mix to the public park? Read more below?

She pulls on her collar when she sees another dog. And her collar slips off on occasion. Do you think I should use the harness or collar...
    General Dog Discussions : Should i use her harness or collar i am taking my lab mix to the public park? Read more below?...

• Should i use her harness or collar i am taking my lab mix to the public park? Read more below?

Should i use her harness or collar i am taking my lab mix to the public park? Read more below? General Dog Discussions
      She pulls on her collar when she sees another dog. And her collar slips off on occasion. Do you think I should use the harness or collar

Should i use her harness or collar i am taking my lab mix to the public park? Read more below? General Dog Discussions
    • A harness. While my great dane mix was playing with my 4 month old puppy she got her tooth stuck in her collar and since it was around her neck and not her body she nearly chocked to death, then we had 800 dollars in vet bills.A prong collar is what I used and her tooth got stuck in a hole. Harnesses allow much more control, ask your vet or a person who works at petsmart, petco, etc.

• Harnesses ENABLE pulling. If you are having trouble with your dog trying to pull when you walk her, then why on Earth would you think about putting something on her that makes it easier for her to pull and encourages her to pull? Ever see a sled dog? They wear harnesses, because harnesses allow a dog to pull without hurting it. Whenever anybody suggests using a harness on a dog that pulls, it shows that they know nothing at all.If her collar slips off, you need to make sure it is fitted properly. Try using a martingale or prong collar. And work on some obedience while you're at it. The tools don't fix the dog, training does.Oh, and if a dog gets her tooth or whatever stuck in a prong collar, then you obviously don't know how to properly fit a collar on a dog. Prong/choke collars are never meant to be left on a dog. They are only to be worn when you are actually walking or training the dog.

• See a lot of people say harness, and there are a lot of unruly dogs at the public park...Prong collar. There is a loop for corrections and another loop for the leash. But if you're going to let your dog play with other dogs, take the prong off.

• Neither!A collar is unreliable and painful when the dog pulls. As you said, it slips off or chokes her... not a good choice. If you really wanted to use a collar I would suggest a martingale collar. This collar is a self limiting collar. Basically a choke collar but won't get any tighter at a certain point... this would keep it from slipping off... but still can choke her.A harness does nothing but encourage her to pull and you have absolutely no control over a dog that has a harness on. If you really want to use a harness, look for a front hook harness. The leash attaches to the front of the dog, on her chest. So when she pulls, she will have no other choice but to turn towards you and this is you opportunity to correct her. I would suggest you look into using a gentle leader (head halter). They are not painful, you have all the control, discourages pulling and when fitted properly... doesn't come off.