How fast can a dog's tooth rot?

I have a 5 month old puppy, and one of his puppy teeth has gone rotten. All of his other teeth are quite healthy. Yes, I know it needs to be pulled, he has a vet appointment tomorrow. I'm just wondering how the tooth could rot so quickly? It wasn't…

I have a 5 month old puppy, and one of his puppy teeth has gone rotten. All of his other teeth are quite healthy. Yes, I know it needs to be pulled, he has a vet appointment tomorrow. I'm just wondering how the tooth could rot so quickly? It wasn't…...
    General Dog Discussions : How fast can a dog's tooth rot?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How fast can a dog's tooth rot?

How fast can a dog's tooth rot? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 5 month old puppy, and one of his puppy teeth has gone rotten. All of his other teeth are quite healthy. Yes, I know it needs to be pulled, he has a vet appointment tomorrow. I'm just wondering how the tooth could rot so quickly? It wasn't like that two weeks ago.Also, I'm worried because he's rather thin (I've been trying to get his weight up) and now that he's not eaten the last three meals, I'm afraid he won't be healthy enough for anesthesia.

How fast can a dog's tooth rot? General Dog Discussions
    • You may not have been able to "see" it two weeks ago but it was probably still rotten and he may not be eating because it hurts so try to give him something warm and soft, and cut it up for him so he doesn't have to chew on it alot like some soft chicken breast. Also warm chicken broth or warm milk, my dogs love that even when there not feeling bad. Good luck at the vet.

• It is possible that the puppy tooth did not fall out naturally, and loosened up, just not enough to come out, and that is specifically what caused this problem. However, always feed your dog DRY dog food as opposed to canned. Canned dog food can quickly cause teeth to decay, while dry food helps to keep them clean and healthy.

• Generally it takes much longer than two weeks for a dog's tooth to rot, especially if there is no injury (like a slab fracture or broken crown...although with an injury to the pulp decay happens very quickly). What does the tooth look like? Sometimes stuff accumulates on the tooth (particularly the molars in the back) and it can look quite ugly but it's just tartar and will come right off with a little pressure.Ask your vet to run some bloodwork while you are there tomorrow. All dogs should have bloodwork done before surgery to make sure that the liver and kidneys can metabolize the anesthesia anyway and since your dog does seem to be having problems (which may or may not be related to the bad tooth) it is an especially good idea to get him checked.If you think that your dog's tooth is hurting him you should try feeding him either canned dog food or his regular dry food softened with some water. If the vet has to pull that tooth this is what they will recommend for the first 7-14 days (depending on how big a hole that tooth leaves behind) after surgery anyway until the socket is healed. In general dry dog food is better for your dog's teeth than canned, but if he is having a problem that is causing pain when he chews then it is best to feed him soft food until you can get the pain resolved rather than have him not eat.

• Are you sure he isn't losing a puppy tooth? All dogs will lose their puppy teeth, like children lose their baby teeth. Teeth can rot quickly. I had my dogs teeth cleaned and she had a couple of extractions and 6 months later, she had a couple more teeth that had gone bad, so it really doesn't take long, but is generally caused by gum disease rather than the tooth itself.It is a good idea to get your dog used to brushing his teeth. Dental care is just as important for dogs as it is for people.Your vet will check him to make sure he is healthy enough for anesthesia - just be sure to let him know about him not eating.