What are the most important things to know when getting a Border Collie boy?

Do they shed a lot? I'm about to get a border collie and I want to know important things to consider from a current or previous owner. Also if they can be trained not to bark so much, but I know they will still bark occasionally.Also no one can take care…

Do they shed a lot? I'm about to get a border collie and I want to know important things to consider from a current or previous owner. Also if they can be trained not to bark so much, but I know they will still bark occasionally.Also no one can take care…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What are the most important things to know when getting a Border Collie boy?...

• What are the most important things to know when getting a Border Collie boy?

What are the most important things to know when getting a Border Collie boy? Dog Breed Discussions
      Do they shed a lot? I'm about to get a border collie and I want to know important things to consider from a current or previous owner. Also if they can be trained not to bark so much, but I know they will still bark occasionally.Also no one can take care of him when our family is at work/school how big of a problem is this?

What are the most important things to know when getting a Border Collie boy? Dog Breed Discussions
    • they are super duper energetic. Although, they are amazing pets & they give as much love as possible, make sure to give him lots & lots of toys & at least one walk a day!

• Obviously this is a high energy breed. The MOST important thing for you to do first is get him neutered. This is for his physical health, and his psychological health. Border Collies need a lot of attention. They are smart and they need to be worked with and challenged constantly. When they are not, they get bored, are miserable and develop behavioural issues. If you're not willing to do all of the above...then Border collie isn't the breed for you. Consider getting a pet mouse.

• A busy Border Collie doesn't have time to bark, and as they are bred for herding, barking is something they should not do.A well bred Border Collie will make an excellent pet, and they are on the top of all the smartest dog lists too.Yes, they shed, and need brushing daily to keep the shedding down, and they are extremely active and need a great deal of exercise to keep them occupied and out of trouble. Because they are the smartest of all the breeds, it is imperative that you learn how to train them, and be prepared to give them a lot of your time in socializing them to all different sights, dogs, humans, kids, surfaces, and noise. Welcome to the wonderful world of the Border Collie.

• You shouldn't be "about to get" any breed until you've completed a ton of research and found a reputable breeder or rescue to obtain your new pet from. Rushed decisions based on inadequate research lead to dogs being dumped in shelters.Border Collies are not typically recommended for first time owners - they do best in a very active and experienced home. Not to say an inexperienced owner CAN'T handle the breed, it's just very common to see them unable to provide proper exercise or stimulation.These are high energy, high drive, and very intelligent dogs. They require 60 minutes or more of structured exercise every day, they have a prey drive like you wouldn't believe, and they need something to DO when they aren't being exercised or else they will figure out something to do on their own.Yes, they shed - a lot. And yes, they can be huge barkers.Don't get me wrong, these are wonderful dogs - they have a HUGE capability to learn and they're extremely fun. They just tend to be too much for many inexperienced people to handle and are one of the more common breeds (or mixes) dumped in shelters due to incompatibility (dog is too hyper, dog is destructive, etc etc.)http://www.bordercolliesociety.com/

• First, yes, they shed a TON! It's nice to get a brush that can reach the undercoat, Petco and Petsmart should sell them for under $10, but it helps a lot! Second, they have a strong herding instinct, so as they get older it'll show and they'll start to nip at your ankles. If you would like this to stop, a small obedience segment should help him to understand the meaning of no. Third, of course, they'll bark a lot, but again, an obedience class does wonders.Fourth, in the summer, Collies will start to smell because of their fur and undercoat due to the warmer weather, it's good to give them 3 bathes during the summer to keep them smelling fresh, but be sure to buy a good shampoo, or you can go to a groomer, such as Petco's.Fifth, they absolutely love colder weather especially snow, Collie's won't really do much once the weather becomes warmer and more humid, they have more fun in a colder climate.Finally, Collies are prone to getting epilepsy, which involves seizures, so be careful when getting a Collie, it may run in their blood.I hope none of this really overrides your decision on getting a Collie, they are a very loving and gentle breed who wish to please. I hope this helped.

• Get out the big checkbook. You need to send the dog to a professional sheepdog trainer for 3-4 months, for in-house training. That will run you around $500.00 a month. After that, you'll need to continue on with lessons, 2-3 days a week. Depending on the caliber of the trainer, they run from $35.00 to $50.00 an hour.

• If MY male border had to stay home alone during the day it would be equivalent to torturing him. Borders are fantastic dogs but need a ton of training and a ton of activity right from the begining. I can't stress it enough. I've known a few people who weren't home with they're borders during the day and they ate they're couchs (literally brand new and leather). They have to be active and keep they're mind going. We put my boy thru obediance, frisbee, and agility and he's not even 2 yet. By 3 months of age we ran out of things to train him and had to enter him in advanced training. They're really smart and love to learn. I personally, being the owner of 2 borders, would advise you not to get one. Too many borders end up in shelters because people don't realize just how active they are. If you do immediate training and lots of toys for him to play with during the day and not get bored would be needed. As far as shedding goes one sheds a lot and the other doesn't. As long as you keep up with grooming and brushing its not too bad. My male border is the love of my life and he's the best dog ever. He's a demo dog, neighbor kids come over to play with him, he's completely ideal in every way immaginable...BUT we put a lot of time into him.

• Make sure he's neutered and up to date on his shots! Border Collies require a lot of stimulation and love learning new tricks! I grew up with a Border Collie, he was actually born the same year as me. His name was Charlie, and he was the best behaved and intelligent dog our family has ever owned. Personally, I think Border Collies need to go to obedience school otherwise this breed of dog might cause you to go bonkers. Apparently, they're not the ideal pet when there's small children in the house only because they'll attempt to herd them up like they do with sheep. I know our dog never did this to my sister and I growing up, so each dog has it's own personality. They're the smartest dog on the doggy iq list : )

• The dog is extremely agile, able to crouch, spring and corner skilfully for the purpose of driving the recalcitrant sheep or cattle into line. The Border's coat should not be overly abundant yet should be double and thick enough to be weather resistant. In appearance it is most like the collie but with shorter length of feathers. There is a "smooth coat" variety of this breed, however this variety appears mostly in Great Britain and the most popular type of coat is the "rough coat". The dog is of medium height and build and comes in many colors, but white should never be predominant.This breed is highly instinctive. Coincidentally, both The Border collie and the Newfoundland have been used in the genetic studies of the Human Genome Research Project as the DNA markers for comparison of strong inherited behavioral tendencies. The Border Collie is noted as one of the most intelligent of breeds and is not happy without a job to do. It learns quickly and enjoys the challenge of learning. This is not a dog who will be happy left alone for hours in a house and also should not be left unsupervised in an unfenced area. This dog needs mental and physical stimulation to be happy and healthy.About Border Collies - http://www.dog-pound.net/collie/border-collie-information.htm