My Cocker Spaniel Has Just Come In To Season For The First Time. How Long Will It Last And Can I Take Her Out?

Please can you give me some infomation on this.

My Cocker Spaniel Has Just Come In To Season For The First Time. How Long Will It Last And Can I Take Her Out?

Please can you give me some infomation on this....
    General Dog Discussions : My Cocker Spaniel Has Just Come In To Season For The First Time. How Long Will It Last And Can I Take Her Out?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My Cocker Spaniel Has Just Come In To Season For The First Time. How Long Will It Last And Can I Take Her Out?

My Cocker Spaniel Has Just Come In To Season For The First Time. How Long Will It Last And Can I Take Her Out? General Dog Discussions
      Please can you give me some infomation on this.

My Cocker Spaniel Has Just Come In To Season For The First Time. How Long Will It Last And Can I Take Her Out? General Dog Discussions
    • Approximately every six months, a female dog comes into heat. At this time her hormones are preparing her body to attract a male and become pregnant. If you are planning to breed her, this is the time to do it. But if not, her cycle can cause stress for both of you. Follow some easy guidelines and minimize the problems. InstructionsDifficulty: Moderately Easy Steps1Step OneSterilize your pooch if you are not going to breed her. Not only will it prevent unwanted puppies but also it may prolong her lifespan. 2Step TwoKeep her inside and close the windows. Male dogs are attracted by the scent of a female in heat up to three miles away. Minimize the effect by keeping the windows shut. 3Step ThreeKeep an eye on your fence. Even if your female dog can’t jump out, male dogs may be able to jump in. Chain link fences are easy for some dogs to climb and owners report that even cedar fences won't always deter a dog seeking romance. 4Step FourApply a little menthol rub to a spot just under the female dog's tail to thwart would-be suitors. Some veterinarians also recommend a little dab on a male’s nose to mask the female’s scent. 5Step FiveGive her some chlorophyll tablets. Dog owners use these with varying success in an attempt to mask a female’s odor during her heat cycle. Ask your vet for the recommended dosage based upon your dog's weight. 6Step SixKeep your pooch calm. She’s anxious during this time and needs attention. Schedule extra time to pet and brush her and play some soft classical music to sooth her nerves. Avoid allowing youngsters to frolic and get her excited. 7Step SevenDress her in a pair of protective doggy panties to protect your floor and furniture from discharge stains. Available in pet stores, these pull-on diapers have a hole for her tail to stick out. Keep enough on hand to last for the first two weeks of her three-week cycle.

• a heat lasts about 3 weeks...you can take her out but take her out on a leash . Make sure there's no males around...you don't want her un the yard unattended...any dog could jump in the fence and give er

• She will be in season approx 21 days. For the next month you should always take her out on lead, or at least go out with her into your fenced yard when she needs to go out.. Males can smell intact females up to 3 miles away when they are in season.. You can get males coming for miles wanting to breed her. Since she is so young, it is even more important to keep her away from males and safe. You should have spayed her before she even came into season for the first time, it's more beneficial healthwise.. As soon as she is out of season, call and make your appointment to have her spayed.

• If you never plan on breeding her, then I would spay her. If you plan on breeding her in the future then obviously spaying isn't an option right now.She will stay in season three weeks. You can take her out, but you have to stay right with her to prevent wayfaring Lotharios from attending to her needs.

• "Amateurs should not breed dogs. Spay her right away." Now, why must people attack when someone asks a question? If you never ask or seek out your questions, you'll never know what you're wanting to. Also, she never said anything about breeding now did she? When are people going to learn to answer the question asked, instead of jumping to conclusions? If she is, well, she has homework to do, but every breeder starts out as an amateur, so who is showing their ignorance? Your pup will be in heat for about 3 weeks, but the active part, where she can get pregnant, usually is only half that time, if not less. You can resume activities as usual with the exception she is not left alone where a male may possibly be able to get ahold of her. She will be over it before you know it. Also, if you plan to breed make sure you do research and wait till she is old enough to have all the proper tests done, which is into her second year.