* * My Vet REALLY Messed Up. What Can I do * *?

I took my 6 month old Yorkie in to have all of his baby teeth pulled and to have him neutered.1st the Dr told me to wait because she thought he was only 4 months old, but after telling her that I’ve had him for 4 months, and that he already had…

I took my 6 month old Yorkie in to have all of his baby teeth pulled and to have him neutered.1st the Dr told me to wait because she thought he was only 4 months old, but after telling her that I’ve had him for 4 months, and that he already had…...
    General Dog Discussions : * * My Vet REALLY Messed Up. What Can I do * *?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• * * My Vet REALLY Messed Up. What Can I do * *?

* * My Vet REALLY Messed Up. What Can I do * *? General Dog Discussions
      I took my 6 month old Yorkie in to have all of his baby teeth pulled and to have him neutered.1st the Dr told me to wait because she thought he was only 4 months old, but after telling her that I’ve had him for 4 months, and that he already had all of his baby teeth when I got him at 9 ½ weeks old, she finally believed that he was 6 months old.I told her, in addition to both of her personal technicians and the receptionist (4 people), that I wanted the liquid glue as the seal for the incision, instead of stitches, and that I wanted ALL of the baby teeth removed.After his surgery, I found out that only the 4 canines plus 2 small uppers and 2 small bottoms had been pulled, leaving the back baby molars, and 4 small uppers and 4 small bottoms (10 remaining baby teeth), AND she used stitches, not the liquid glue like I asked.I questioned everyone, including the Dr as to why they didn’t do what I asked, and they tried to shrug it off like it wasn’t a big deal.His adult teeth have already come in, crooked, and his baby teeth are hurting him so bad that he wont eat as much. One of his back molars rubbed a hole in his gum, and he kept pawing at it, so I had to pull it out. He seems to feel a little better after just that one tooth being pulled, but the others are causing him pain.I’ve tried telling the Vet office that this was absolutely not what I asked for, and they just keep telling me to wait to see if they come out on their own, or else they will have to put him under anesthesia again, to remove the teeth.I told them that I shouldn’t be responsible if they have to remove them, because they should have done that to begin with, like I asked.What if they refuse to help me, and take responsibility for their mistake?What action can I take, since they are at fault?None of his baby teeth fell out by them self, and he is over 6 months old, with his adult teeth already in.By now, at least some of the baby teeth should have fallen out, but none of his did.He is only 2 pounds. I was told that extra small dogs like mine have an even bigger problem with retained teeth, and that he might need assistance with all of them.His baby teeth don't look like they will fall out on their own, because his adult teeth are so crooked, and far away from where they should be, that they aren't pushing/helping the baby teeth fall outNone of his baby teeth fell out by them self, and he is over 6 months old, with his adult teeth already in.By now, at least some of the baby teeth should have fallen out, but none of his did.He is only 2 pounds. I was told that extra small dogs like mine have an even bigger problem with retained teeth, and that he might need assistance with all of them.His baby teeth don't look like they will fall out on their own, because his adult teeth are so crooked, and far away from where they should be, that they aren't pushing/helping the baby teeth fall out... also, I gave him bones to chew and played tug of war with him. I tried being a little extra rough, to help the teeth come out, but they never budged.Now, he is in so much pain, that he wont chew bones or play tug of war, and will barely eat soft foodADD, primarily for "Mamabas"As previously stated, HIS ADULT TEETH HAVE ALREADY COME IN. Before his surgery, I pointed out both of his bottom canines (which were growing in under his tongue, since the baby canines werent budging, the adult canines had to go somewhere) and all 4 upper adult front teeth, which were growing behind the stubborn baby front teeth, plus signs that the back molars were emerging. The only adult teeth that we did not see signs of were the bottom 4 front ones and the top 2 canine adults. ALL OTHER ADULT TEETH HAD EMERGED FROM THE GUM AND WERE ALREADY GROWING/VISIBLE.** So the Dr KNEW before he entered surgery that there were many visible adult teeth.Please keep that in mind, before assuming again.His back baby molars (molar now) are very loose, in addition to 2 of the remaining front uppers. The rest of his baby teeth are not loose at all.I attempted several times to nudge the back baby molar along before it actually came out, because it did rub a hole on the inside of his mouth and was causing him discomfort. None of the other ones are even remotely ready to be assisted like that.So, what doesnt seem right to you... Im not concerned with how the neuter was done. I was just including it as a part of the whole ordeal.The Dr had neutered another Yorkie of mine with the liquid glue, by her own decision because i had never even heard of it until she did it to my other Yorkie, so I was simply asking that she do the same to this Yorkie. Plus, when I came in 7 days later to get the sutures removed like they told me to do, they decided not to remove them, but to let them fall out on their own over time instead.Im really only concerned about his baby teeth.Since he doesnt wana chew on anything and wont eat as much, and because his adult teeth are growing in crooked, and will be at risk of permanently setting in crookedly, whereas if the baby teeth had been taken out, the adult teeth would have a chance to move to the right place.

* * My Vet REALLY Messed Up. What Can I do * *? General Dog Discussions
    • I can understand you wanting tissue glue, to an extent....but all of the baby teeth pulled? That I don't understand. Most of them will come out on their own anyways. Messing with the teeth and pulling them out early can even cause problems. I agree that they should have listened to you wanting the tissue glue. Also, if they agreed to your requests, they should have followed them. If the pup does end up having problems with retained baby teeth, then you should have them do the procedure to remove the rest for free. You could possibly make a report to the Better Business Bureau, as well as your state's veterinary medical board, but not sure what good may come from it.

• Better question for an attorney.For the record, baby teeth fall out on their own. Providing proper chewing outlets will ensure this, and would have saved you a lot of money.[Add] Then I would definitely discuss this with an attorney.

• Find another vet and get his mouth sorted out. Actually I'm rather siding with your vet who probably approached this situation on the basis that she's trained, you are, with respect, not. Using stitches for a castration would be quite normal, and more so than using glue (much as I've had an ear rip injury treated this way with the same glue used in the theatre by military surgeons). I assume that surgery went okay?As for his teeth, yes, often stubborn baby teeth are removed by the vet at the time of a neuter surgery - under g/a so it can all be done without pain. Again, she probably checked and saw no sign of the adults coming in, which would be the reason for removing stubborn teeth, so the adults do come in straight. It's very odd that these teeth have stayed put if he is 6 months. And this needs investigating.Obviously if the dog is in pain, he needs to be sorted out. But I'd not be necessarily dumping on the vet who treated him previously - I'd be finding another vet if I had no trust in the one you used before.ps "One of his back molars rubbed a hole in his gum, and he kept pawing at it, so I had to pull it out" You managed to pull one of his back teeth out, without anaesthetic and with a tooth that had previously been 'stuck'? How does that work!!? Something is off about this whole thing!

• I am a qualified vet nurse and am currently going through UNI to become a vet myself. I am rather shocked and appalled at what you are saying. Firstly- the Vet should have listened to your desires that you had wanted for your dog, as much as we may be the professionals in that area you know your animal best and you can tell when there is something not quite right we just put the medical and professional spin on the problem. Obviously you had done your homework on the subject beforehand which is really good.Secondly- I would find another Vet and tell them what has happened previously and what you have done for your puppy. then see if they will do the procedure you wish to do.Thirdly- I would report this vet to the Veterinarian Board of directors of what has happened. You may want a professional legal adviser to help you with this.lastly- I am impressed that you obviously care about your dog and are willing to do so much to help him. Well done!Hope this all helps and Best of Luck.