how can i tell if my border collie is pure bred?

i have a 16 week old border collie. i believe he is purebred because i know the "father" is purebred... but unfortunately the "father" was less than a year old when is fathered. how old does a dog have to be to reproduce? are there any marking which…

i have a 16 week old border collie. i believe he is purebred because i know the "father" is purebred... but unfortunately the "father" was less than a year old when is fathered. how old does a dog have to be to reproduce? are there any marking which…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : how can i tell if my border collie is pure bred?...

• how can i tell if my border collie is pure bred?

how can i tell if my border collie is pure bred? Dog Breed Discussions
      i have a 16 week old border collie. i believe he is purebred because i know the "father" is purebred... but unfortunately the "father" was less than a year old when is fathered. how old does a dog have to be to reproduce? are there any marking which identify a purebred border collie or a mix?

how can i tell if my border collie is pure bred? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Your dog is not purebred unless both parents are purebred. And, short of the Canine Genome Project, there is no way to tell if his dam was a Border Collie or if he is purebred.Unless you have papers.

• well a way to see if your dog is a purebred is to take it to the vet and ask them. or if you cant right now you can try going on a website about dogs/border collies. maybe they have info. on purebreds. or if nothing else you can go to your local library and check out a book on the subject. good luck! and as for the whole dog reproducing thing, i say it depends on the type of dog it is. some dogs can start around 6mo or maybe even 2yrs . the best thing to do is ask a pro.

• a dog can reproduce at 7 months old if his nuts have fully dropped at this age if you want you can call your vets office to see if they can do a DNA test on the pup to see if its full blooded they might need blood from both parents to do this and from the pup good luck

• You could also check the tongue on the dog. PureBreeds(depending on the breed) mostly have a purple tongue or it may be spotted to show it does have pure roots inside of it. I hope this helps alittle. I have a boxer &Pitt Bull Mix and his tongue is spotted because his father(the Pitt) is a pure breed. Its all genetics I guess.Good Luck with finding out the answer.

• Border Collies vary widely in appearance since it has always been bred to be a working dog. Conformation was never terribly important until they became recognized by the AKC (at least it wasn't standardized until then - the only thing important is the dog's ability to work sheep in the traditional registries). I have a red and white border collie with yellow eyes and a blue merle with blue eyes. They don't look anything alike and they don't look anything like the dogs from Babe. The biggest indicator will be behavior as the dog gets older. Or you can click on the link I have provided and get your dog's DNA analyzed.

• DNA is only available for 38 breedsDNA test typically is not used to test if a dog is a purebred but to confirm a pups parents, the greyhound industry uses it a lot, since some of the pups sell in the several thousand range even as high as 1/2 million dollars so used as proof of predigree that so as tp prove that the named dam and sire is correct and no paperwork was fudged. because prior to DNA testing a breeder could have 3 litters born around the same time, and they would switch pups or take pups from a less famous mating and include the pups into a better litter and then sell them for a much higher priceThe switching of puppies occurs in the show dog world as well, and some buyers now are insisting on proof of parentage, especially if they are paying a few thousand for a pup.I have had a DNA test on one dog but this was to test for tick disease since one test show she was positive for babesia since she has Lupus and a clotting disorder I wanted to know if the babesia organism in her blood were alive and actively causing an infection and where responsible for her illnesses so as to know how to treat her as certain meds could cause further problems by weakening her immune system The DNA test was appros $300 canadian( I am in Ontario) so around $250 US I am just mentioning to give you a rough idea what the cost of a DNA test would be, should it be available for border collies. Chances are it is not available as border collies are fairly new breed to be admitted to the AKC registry, in Canada they still not included to CKC instead there is a border colllie association that maintains a registryThere really is no point to finding out if pure as you still cannot register it as a purebred without knowing the dogs 3 generation pedigreeUrsulas tongue theory is only myth The spotting on tongues is pigment (freckles) and can occur in purebreds I know of registered greyhounds who have pigments tongues, but my 3 do not and they have pedigrees that go back to the late 1700's